Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You were my brother, Nishiki! Argh!

Nice job, keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 22: Streets of Rage

I thought Purgatory was supposed to be safe from this kind of thing? Geez, Kage, you had one job. Well then, looks like it's time for Kazuma Kiryu to beat up all the street gangs in Kamurocho and find out who hired these idiots to attack West Park while we were out, because nobody kidnaps Haruka and gets away with it.

Just a heads up, by the way - this episode contains some rather unpleasant torture sequences in a flashback cutscene. Most of the violence in this game is cartoonish and kinda silly even though it's rated M (or 18+ in Europe), but this particular scene is something you could feasibly see in a hardcore gangster film. Of course it still is the PS2 so the visuals aren't as gnarly as they would be in something like GTA V and I doubt anyone out there would be traumatized by this or anything, but the whole thing is still pretty gross especially with those sound effects. :gonk:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
They should make a Max Payne type game with Kazuma- I was sold after that scene.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 23: Wife of a Yakuza

As I say roughly eighty times in the actual video, this quest dealing with Dojima's widow should have been part of the main plot. Speaking of which, there's some fairly major plot stuff at the end of this video as we close out chapter 8. Namely, an important new character gets introduced, and we also learn a bit more about Lau Ka Long of the Snake Flower Triad and how they relate to the Tojo Clan.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree Lady Dojima should have been a more visible part of the story, especially considering her importance to the plot of Yakuza 2 (the only future game in which she appears and that too bothers me quite a bit). She’s a great character.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 24: Tokyo Highway Battle (uncut commentary feat. ChaosArgate)

Or maybe Yokohama Highway Battle, I'm not sure which end of the highway we are on at that point after rescuing Haruka from the Snake Flower Triad (which, in true Kazuma Kiryu fashion, involves beating up a restaurant full of gangsters... well, beating up the gangsters inside the restaurant, not the building itself although that still seems plausible enough). However, instead of doing battle in the form of illegal street races, we have an absolutely terrible rail shooter section to get through. ChaosArgate joins me once again for this exciting road trip.

As I've said a few times lately, I mostly prefer the original game to Kiwami. I realize the latter is objectively superior in many ways (certainly from a technical standpoint) but the low-budget remake that uses the Yakuza 0 engine and recycles many of the assets from 0 simply isn't as interesting to me as this flawed but ambitious late-era PS2 game that laid the groundwork for the series. That being said, this rail shooter segment is almost unplayable in the original version and should have never made it into the released game, because even for the PS2 this is some dire poo poo. I would call it reminiscent of weird PS2 budget games, but that would be an insult to the likes of Earth Defense Force because at least that is fun to play.

Oh yeah, and when I start rambling on about Yakuza being intended as a competitor to GTA, I obviously mean in the west where they clearly were going for the GTA audience with all the "gritty" swearing and celebrity voices. In Japan, Ryu ga Gotoku simply started out with Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi making the kind of game that he himself wanted to see, and nobody expected much from it at first.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The rail shooter section in Yakuza 0 is way more fun. Of course, neither is replayable. :(

I believe Lau’s initial weapon is called a Guandao pole arm. It was famously wielded by Chinese Han Dynasty Warlord & War God Guan Yu.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 27, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I completely blanked out on what that particular sort of polearm was called (and also completely forgot the existence of the word "polearm", because it's surprisingly easy to forget simple stuff when commentating) so I just said "naginata-type thing". Obviously, a triad boss like Lau would never use a Japanese weapon, but it was just meant as an example to get the point across.

Heh, get the point. :dadjoke:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Doc M posted:

Heh, get the point. :dadjoke:

But the blade is curved. :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 25: Turning Point

I know saying "poo poo gets real" is an appalling cliché these days, but it's also quite accurate for this part of the game. "Turning Point" is also the name of the song that plays during the boss fight, and the western release of Yakuza Kiwami used the remix from that version as the intro music in place of Receive You Reborn.

Major spoilers, don't read unless you watched the video or already know the story: Thanks to Yakuza 0 and the extra characterization everyone got in that game, the unfortunate fate of Shinji and Reina hits a lot harder than it would have back in the day. :smith: Sadly, Kiryu's dub voice actor Darryl Kurylo doesn't quite manage to sell the scene like Takaya Kuroda does in Japanese.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This was the moment when I swore to really make the bad guys pay. It really got me into the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 26: Kamurocho Hostess Bar Crawl

No, we're not actually doing the hostess sidequests here, it just so happens that the story takes us to both Jewel and Shine as we search for a Shangri-La membership card. We also discover the story of the fake Mizuki.

One fun detail I noticed was that the music inside the MEB in Yakuza 1 already sounds a lot like Yakuza karaoke mainstay "GET to the Top!", performed here by Majima in Yakuza: Dead Souls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFoNwoMxjY

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 5, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So someone did an interview with Darryl Kurlyo, Kiryu's English VA from this game, about his experience with the series, and its a pretty good read!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Just as a heads up, there are some spoilers for the rest of the game in the interview. But yeah, it was a fun read and it's really cool that Darryl Kurylo's son is still a big fan of the series. Me and ChaosArgate dunked on Kurylo's acting a bit in the latest recording because he doesn't always quite manage to sell the dramatic scenes, but overall I thought he did a decent job.

As far as the LP goes, I think I'll focus on the main storyline from here on out and post the side mission roundup videos at the end. There's some fun (and some extremely cringeworthy) stuff in the remaining sidequests, but I kinda just want to get on with it at this point.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 16, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 27: Chapter 11 Substories, Part One

I said I'd focus on the main story from here on out, but decided not to post the chapter 11 finale almost at the same time as the Kiwami LP did so here's some side stuff instead. Honestly, these sidequests are really starting to blur together at this point. There's two more chapter 11 side mission videos and I'll post them at some point, but next time we'll move on to plot stuff again. Anyway, here are the Gangbusters. They're stupid and boring and useless.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I actually had a lot of fun doing the Gangbuster missions. Must be the collector/brawler in me. That, and I enjoy curbstomping Goldfish Poop Gangs.

Guns? In an Arena? Wouldn't that endanger the audience? Maybe they're just nonlethal and only dangerous at short range.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 4, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 28: Mad Dog of Shangri-La

Are you ready for a really long boss fight against our good buddy Majima? No? Well, too bad, because that's exactly what you're getting.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 9, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 29: Shibaura Wharf (uncut commentary feat. ChaosArgate)

ChaosArgate joins me once more as we clamber aboard the Exposition Boat! We're very much in the home stretch now, and it's only three two story videos and two sidequest ones from here on out. Not too much longer to go before we can give this thread the mercy killing it deserves.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 27, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This dialogue is incredible.

:geno: "Yumi... Yumi is Mizuki. The woman you've been looking for, Misuki... is, in fact, Yumi."
:downs: "What are you saying?"
:geno: "Yumi has been pretending to be Mizuki for the last five years."
:downs: "That means... Haruka's mother is..."
:geno: "Yumi. She is definitely Yumi's daughter. No doubt about it."
:v: "So Yumi isn't my aunt... she's really my mother?."

So if I'm hearing this right.... Yumi is Mizuki? But that means... Yumi is Haruka's mother? But wait, if Yumi is Haruka's mother... then Mizuki is Yumi? But who's Haruka's mother? Can you go over it one more time?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 30: The Fourth Chairman

I don't care if we need to face-stomp everybody in Japan to get to Jingu, which is good because that is pretty much what we're doing in this episode. The man himself, obviously, continues to be a complete and utter chump and never stops talking as long as he's conscious.

-----

Episode 31 (Story Finale): Sunflowers

It all comes down to this -- the final battle between blood brothers, best friends, the Dragon and the Koi.

I'm not going to talk a whole lot in this one aside from a few lines of subtitled commentary at the start of the fight and some stuff during the end credits.

After this, there's still a couple of sidequest roundup videos to go (speaking of sidequests, the Premium Box we unlock at the end is not like the Premium Adventure in the later games -- while it allows you to free roam and do side stuff, your progress from the main game does NOT carry over) and I'll get around to those at some point, but the main part of the LP is now finished and I thank everyone who has stuck with it all the way through. I'm somewhat disappointed the LP wasn't more popular but I still very much appreciate those of you who did follow it, and I hope you had an enjoyable time with the original Yakuza!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Main bad guys are usually chumps who talk too much. They like the sound of their own voice.

I enjoyed this LP, although I will not count it as complete until you defeat the secret boss!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hey, I just thought I'd pop in here to say I haven't forgotten about the last couple of substory videos. The problem I'm having with the video that has the non-Amon content is that the substories in Yakuza 1 are massively boring and I don't have anything to say about the endless street fights after 30 episodes. I guess I'll try to rope ChaosArgate into doing another co-commentary track for that episode at some point, because I just can't make it entertaining on my own.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Coliseum Roundup + Jo Amon

We fight the model swaps of Nishiki and Lau Ka Long and try our hand against Komaki at the Coliseum, and finish up with the super boss fight against the master assassin Jo Amon. Amon doesn't yet have all the annoying gimmicks he does in later games, but he does have seven health bars and uses armor-piercing bullets while also enjoying grenade spam. The most efficient way of beating Amon is cheesing him with the electric sword, although I screw up my heat action timing a few times.

I hope you like sped-up combat footage set to video game remixes, because you're getting lots of it in this video. No commentary either, which some of you may consider a positive. Unless I somehow manage to make the remaining sidequest video vaguely interesting or get around to showing those quests off in SSLP form before the thread falls into archives in a few months, consider this the final update of the LP. Thank you for watching.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 26, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thank you for creating. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 32: Chapter 11 Substories, Part 2

The Amon episode was supposed to be the end of the LP, but I figured I might as well show off the rest of the substories (except for the hostess stuff, which I didn't bother with in the first place) so I can finally get rid of all this footage I've got lying around. ChaosArgate joins me one last time in an attempt to make these Yakuza 1 sidequests watchable, because lord knows I couldn't be trusted to do that by myself.

This, I promise, is actually the last update. :v: Thanks again to everyone who watched this LP, especially the few who stuck with it all the way to the end. I'll put the finishing touches on the OP and then send the thread to be archived at some point.