Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

For the My Fairy stuff, what does it mean when clothing decreases elemental costs? Is it like defense against those elements or is it something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

On the "Adventure Map" the bomb/candle/bracelet spots mostly all align with the locations of secrets in the original Zelda 1, so you can maybe get by without using a compass every time if you look up a map of Zelda 1's overworld secrets. Otherwise, use a compass on any tile requiring a search to make a spot shine. That spot is where you use the corresponding item (bomb for walls, candle for trees, bracelet for rocks, etc.) Other items have more obvious tells, like the Harp being needed for the Butterflies that sometimes show up in squares. There might be a tutorial that tells you what each item does on each type of search spot.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pollyanna posted:

Darunia seems good for focus damage but not so great at groups.

He does pretty well for himself with his C2 (body slam) and C4 (lava pool) if enemies are right next to you, and his C5 (big rock throw) is both really strong, his distance, and is pretty large to hit big groups of dudes in front of you. It's just that his basic attacks are pretty slow so investing in the Nayru's Love badges early probably wouldn't hurt.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Folt The Bolt posted:

Had to think about your post for a little, but I see what combos you're referring to now. Usually, you don't refer to YYX (C3) or YYYYX (C5) as C2 or C4, but the attack descriptions make it abundantly clear what attacks you are refering to anyways.

I think that C4 (in my case, I'm referring to the slam attack that makes fire pillars fire outward in a straight line) is also a good way to clear out crowds, and it's also a good move for Darunia to use against enemy officers/characters due to the range, damage output, and the knockback of it.

Then, is there no C1 in that format? Because I'd been assuming the whole C# format was saying like "Combo 1 = C1 = YX, Combo 2 = C2 = YYX," etc. because of how many times you push the regular attack button before hitting the special attack one. Is C1 meant to be just X?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ah, that makes sense now, especially if the format comes from games before this one.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I got a weapon for Cia that's got a purple locked skill like the Master Sword does. Examining it says only "seal broken by unlocking the power of exorcism" though I guess I can see what it is for 100,000 rupees. What is the unlock condition referring to here? I don't remember non-master sword locked skills in the Wii U version.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Geez, it's just a 5-star L1 staff for her though. Ah well, I guess it'll sit there forever being useless. Is the Master Sword's skill unlocks still tied getting all weapon types and all their level 3 or higher variants?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Speaking of My Fairies, do they actually do anything tangible with their clothing abilities? Or is their usefulness entirely in the skills you can get by feeding them? I haven't really touched upon that aspect of the game at all because it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Maybe later in the harder maps it will but right now it sure doesn't feel like it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Silver Falcon posted:

This is aces, thank you! Sheik is my main so I am totes trying this! I think she just hit level 30 so I can bump her up a few levels with rupees then tear poo poo APART! :black101:

I know Master Sword Link is the go to "busted af" character but I find that boring. Speaking of the Master Sword though, what are the requirements for unlocking its skills now? For the first one I would assume... Level 3 weapons for all characters? Does that include the later unlocks like Ravio, or just up to the Master Quest map?

In the WiiU version, I believe it was all L3 weapons for the original non-DLC cast, but I don't know if that changed for this release. Considering how spread apart everyone's stuff is, it'll be a bummer if you basically have to complete all 9 adventure maps just to power up the Master Sword.

Unrelated, holy poo poo is Young Link amazing for the KO Competition missions. I just did the one to unlock Medli and I was basically in Fierce Deity mode the whole mission racking up 800+ kills in one go. I can't wait to get the 3rd special bar and longest focus spirit boost on him because he's so much fun as an overkill character.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bongo Bill posted:

That makes sense, but it sounds like it would take forever. I'll come back with a better weapon.

It does take forever, especially because Zant's specials are almost all AoEs. Just boomerang the bokoblin and pray because that's a really lovely quiz setup.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Anyone know of a good mission to farm up some Redead Bandages? I'm constantly out and I feel like they drop weapons every time I see them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There's like 32 levels in Legend Mode across all character arcs and tales.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Leal posted:

Do we got a dummies guide to faeries? I see stat gains and stat reductions from food and it makes me hesitant to start shoving food into my pet's throats.

I feel like I also need one of these.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It seems like it's never really worth it to go for locked skills if they're 1000 KOs (even if it only takes one map to unlock it generally) because they're almost always a ZR button Item+ skill. The interesting ones seem to come from the 3000 and 5000 KO locked skills. I've unlocked skills like "Heart Power" which is an attack bonus for every 5 full heart containers you have and Compatriot which is an attack bonus that scales by how many keeps you control. So if you have weapons sitting around with locked 3000 or 5000 KO skills, it might be worth your time to save them and grind them out on something like those KO challenge maps, then apply them to some high level 5* weapon. That's my plan at least, though I don't have enough L2 weapons unlocked yet to really start doing it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What do you mean when you say a character must "learn new combos"? Do you mean that they attack so fast the window of pulling off certain specials becomes inconsistent or something?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How do those stones on the grand travels map work anyway? I couldn't figure them out. I thought beating a map with one on it would work but no.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mokinokaro posted:

The green rockets? They duplicate any tool used on them.

Their usefulness is pretty much negated by the item card shop.

Oh, their description made it seem like they would give you any item of your choosing. That's decidedly less useful but a free item is a free item I suppose.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Leal posted:

He does, and it doesn't help his C1(2?) attack is basically a one two hit combo that instantly comes out with no tell, and it covers a huge distance.

This is the slam he does that has about 1/2 a second of weak point gauge, right? I hate that so much, you basically have to be right in his face and dodge the attack to even get a chance of hitting it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Next Smash Bros replaces Adventure Mode with warriors mode

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah just always keep an eye on the gauge under his special and let up on your attacks as it gets almost full. His C1 > X is great for stacking the darkness effect on a target and the C1 > Y is hilarious for large groups. Just make sure you don't do another combo without depleting it first. Thankfully his basic combo is pretty good. And don't do his C5 (the slamming hand one) because it's so slow to fill the gauge or deal damage (might actually be good but I don't know? this is just my observation).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

His basic combo just tears through things. I like to use the C5 (energy ball) to charge the gauge since it's really fast to charge up and will continue charging a little bit once you release the button, meaning you can let the attack go once the meter hits about 75% full and it'll still finish filling while he's actually doing the attack. Then get in big groups and unleash the meter and watch as you get 75 KOs instantly. His C6 (dark beast) has a huge AoE at the expense of a long windup and vulnerability during it. His special also feels super strong and has great range.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Play them as Young Link, I finally got a Focus Spirit use over 1000 KOs last night. :black101:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You guys are talking about the R3 (I dunno what it's called on Switch) Fairy attack, right? Those didn't seem so useful at first glance.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So what am I missing about fighting Phantom Ganon? This is only the second time I've fought him and in legend mode, all four heroes were swarming him to the point that chip damage is what beat him without a single WPG showing up. This time I fought him solo. I did one light ball volley with him and then he sat around laughing at me for four minutes straight, which looked like an opportunity to do something to him. Eventually the timer got down to 3 minutes and I popped my Focus gauge. It looked like I was able to get around behind him and stun him to get the WPG to show up at one point? I thought I'd figure out how to fight him but I came away from that fight not knowing much more than when I went in.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Why does this game love making me fight Volga as Agitha... :negative:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Manhandles always uses his seed attack and his uh... "please hit me" attack I don't know what it actually does. All four heads turn green and I just smack them. Never really had a problem with him. One time out of the dozens I've killed though it just spammed the rush and poison nonstop and was like yeah okay I get the annoyance now.

Pro-tip: Do not have any of your commanders set to help you with it. The bumrush and poison are the dedicated "GET OFF ME" attacks and while *you* aren't standing near it your AI is just slamming into it constantly causing it to spam them. It's a bit counter-intuitive to the gang up mechanic

Yeah I noticed the same thing with the commanders. If you want them to still be there for the bonuses, command them to stay on your position. They'll crowd around you not attacking Manhandla while you get the effects.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rirse posted:

Wait the bombchu can FIGHT? I was laughing when I saw "Bombchu is attacking Cucco Chick", but when I went to save it, the thing was chasing it around in the keep.

What the gently caress that's incredible hahaha

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Speaking of efficiency, gently caress Volga's L2 Weapon mission, I tried it for over an hour last night and kept failing the A rank. "Don't let captains flee!" oh yeah right they die to superpowered enemies in two hits. "Cia's in troub---Cia's in danger assist--You failed the mission!" all in the span of 5 seconds like what the gently caress allied AI can't you do anything? And even if you make it to the end of that they you still have to fight Imprisoned who seems resistant to Volga's attacks and needs like, 4 WPG depletions to beat. gently caress this level, I guess it's time to level him up to like Level 50 and try it again (I'm attempting it with him at level 30 or so and all the rest of the missions on Great Sea normal have been doable at that level or lower).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Maybe it's an homage to the fact that it was easier to get his L3 in the original game than his L2. Still, good to know, thanks.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I didn't have the 3DS version but I believe it's mostly the same. The real benefits are that it includes all DLC in the package, whether it was WiiU, 3DS or amiibo exclusive and it changes the Adventure mode A-rank requirements to be much less strict. Also, 1080p and up to 60 fps docked. Game still good, but now it's even better.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As far as I can tell, King Daphnes's meter is simply an attack speed buff you can apply any time you want, kind of like Cia's darkness buff.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just got myself to 90 skulltulas by doing major cleanup on the Adventure and Great Sea Maps. I guess I'll do Master Quest next to get L3 weapons for people, unless I start jumping around to get L4s.

Speaking of higher weapons though, what's a + weapon? Like, I'm not talking about a 4+ weapon; I unlocked Sheik's 4+ and got a "Triforce Harp +" to drop that has something like 550 damage on it. But I also had a 5* Triforce Harp drop for me that only had 420 damage. Is the Triforce Harp + the L4 weapon? I'm just curious since these things started dropping suddenly after getting the 4+ and I assume it means that getting a higher one like 4+ sort of unlocks the L3 and L4 weapons below it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks, that clears things up a lot.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I'm trying to get to the final squares in the middle of the Wind Waker adventure map and man oh man is that Phantom Gannon level insane. The one with the messengers. A million officers attacking the three Messengers, then the boss, then loving Phantom Ganon like drat dude the hell are you supposed to finish that in 15 minutes? I might come back after I've unlocked more stuff.

Should I jump ahead to unlock the other characters/weapons so I can get the 10k skill on the Master Sword? Or will that be absurdly difficult? All my guys have lv 2 weapons and are around lv 40 except Link who is like lv70.

I just ate the B rank on the stage and plan to come back for the A later on. My Link is level 85 or so and couldn't take him down fast enough.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's an extremely useful guide. Thanks for linking it! Question though: What do those mentions at the bottom right mean? Do you get double materials for playing missions on the Twilight map? Or do you unlock double material drops when you clear it?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

irlZaphod posted:

When you're fighting Gibdos, occasionally a bow and arrow prompt will appear above their heads (after they've performed a particular attack, I think). What does hitting them with an arrow actually do here? It doesn't seem to trigger a weak point or anything, as far as I could tell hitting them with arrows just froze them for a second? I find them annoying to fight because you have to kind of keep your distance, but then you don't get much time to move in and hit their weak points.

e: Unless you can dodge or block their scream attack when you're within the radius of it? Is that possible?

When you hit an enemy with the item it's weak to while that prompt is on screen, the attack they do next, usually signaled with blue particle effects, will not hurt you and will also suck in enemies while also exposing their weak point gauge. The idea is to hit them with that, close the distance while they're hurting the other enemies, then deplete the WPG and get the whole group at once.

I find it's usually not worth it to do the item weak points for anything that has Bombs because you actually have to line up the bomb throw arc and moblins never seem to be vulnerable long enough. I also skip it with boomerang-weak enemies because stalmasters and darknuts often do attacks that leave their WPG exposed. For the rest though, it's a good thing to attempt, especially against gibdos and redeads.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's because you can repeatedly get gold food drops from missions after the checkmark clears. I think. But yeah it's annoying to not really know which gold food drops you've missed or skipped.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

C5 is also great for that big floor slam. I almost never use the C1 though because it feels useless. Are you telling me that simply being connected to someone increases the damage you do to them? I thought you had to sit there sending daggers at them by repeatedly pressing C1 and it seemed pointless.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well poo poo, I'm gonna have to try that when I get to another Ghirahim map. Thanks for letting me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I guess I'm just not far enough in Adventure mode for damage output and combo efficiency to really matter because I just kinda do whatever, have a great time and manage to get the A ranks 95% of the time with my characters, no matter who I'm using. And no one's particularly high level either, lowest are mid-40s, Link is at 89 or something and he's the highest by far. But I really haven't been affected by all this talk of certain characters being bad at clearing maps. The most noticeable is when someone isn't as great at depleting Boss WPGs than others but I still manage.

Maybe I'll change my tone when I start the Twilight and Termina Maps, since I'm still making progress through Master Quest to get L3 weapons.