Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The A-rank requirements is 16k, not 14, for the harder maps. Other than that good OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreatGreen posted:

Does the game ever specifically tell you what will be needed to achieve A rank on each battle? The ones I'm seeing now show rewards for A rank, but not how to achieve A rank.

No but it rarely changes.

On normal maps aim for 1600 KOs (its 1200 on some easier maps but you can't know which one you're on) less than 120 damage (Percentage of the chatacters overall health lost, you can see in the upper right of the pause screen how you're doing on the current map) and under 15 minutes of time.

For other map types this changes a bit obviously but its usually straightforward. Quiz maps need you to ko the right enemy in all 3 keeps and keep under the damage threshold, All Attacks are Devestating means kill all the officers without getting hit etc (protip use the bow in these stages, it trivializes them)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

So what’s the trick to Redeads and Gibdos? Their attacks loving suck.

Bait them by running in close then way out of their range so they don't ever trigger the poison poo poo that takes years. Also if you can just juggle them to death, its pretty easy for most characters and as long as you aren't horrifically underlevelled/undergeared it won't take long even without weak point smashes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also as someone else who didn't know about blocking for a long time you can totally dodge-roll through or away from every attack in the game with the single exception of Mandhela's piece of poo poo 4 head seed attack which has idiotic good homing.

Just be dodgy around enemies and they won't hit you or break your guard :black101:

Similarly, unless you're doing literally no visible damage to an enemy its often more effective and faster just to beat on them and stunlock/juggle them than fish for weak point exposes. A bit higher risk than circling them while guarding, but if you can get the timings of their attacks down you can style on them.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 24, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FPzero posted:

He does pretty well for himself with his C2 (body slam) and C4 (lava pool) if enemies are right next to you, and his C5 (big rock throw) is both really strong, his distance, and is pretty large to hit big groups of dudes in front of you. It's just that his basic attacks are pretty slow so investing in the Nayru's Love badges early probably wouldn't hurt.

His C3 also has absurd range and can wipe out most of a fort every time he does it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FPzero posted:

Then, is there no C1 in that format? Because I'd been assuming the whole C# format was saying like "Combo 1 = C1 = YX, Combo 2 = C2 = YYX," etc. because of how many times you push the regular attack button before hitting the special attack one. Is C1 meant to be just X?

Yeah C1 is just X.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The big attack at the end of Focus Spirit exposes all giant boss weak points immediately. I don't know if you have to blow it early or if it also works if you just let it expire naturally.

It does not work if you let it expire naturally.

Also remember that as long as you are atta king a giant boss while you have another playable character close by you increase your magic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

b_d posted:

I put off doing the skyward sword quiz for a while cuz i never played that game, then i went for it and it’s like.. kill the dark wizard! (gharanim: time to fight a dark wizard!) kill the heavyweight! (a moblin and a skeleton appear) kill the sword spirit!

I wonder how hard they get later

They don't really. Its pretty basic pattern recognition stuff except for ones that require you to remember things that happened in Story mode. Like the trickiest question I can remember is 'Kill the Deku Tree's attacker' and it has Wizzro and Volga spawn and I can see it tripping some people up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

So is he called Skull Kid because that's the name of his species or because he's the forest imp who used to wear a skull mask

Name of his species. You encounter multiple skull kids in OoT and one in Twilight Princess. There's vague lore about how adults lost in the Lost Woods become Stalfos and kids become Skull Kids who help kids but hate adults. Which fits with how they provide upgrades for kid Link in OoT and attack adult Link.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Just play the game, chug the occasional material potion and be liberal with the training dojo because some characters like Agatha or Volga are absolute misery to play as unless over leveled

Lol, what? Volga's like the most ezmode character in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Anything not picked up is tallied at the end. The only items to pick up like treasure chests and skulltulla.

Though poo poo despawns if there are too many drops starting with the oldest stuff so grabbing mats is still a good practice if you see em.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Whaaaaat? And the despawned stuff isn't counted at the end of the mission?

I already have too much stuff to handle, I can't be running around trying to pick up stuff too :negative:

Yeah, it holds like 20ish drops in memory before other stuff forces despawn. It usually is just lovely bronze captain drops so I wouldn't like go out of my way to scour the map for them, but grab em if you see em.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah strictest A ranks seem to be

15 minutes
1600 Kills
120% Damage

Which is way more lenient than WiiU/3DS on Damage and harder on KOs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

This thread is awesome and hugely informative. Thanks everybody!

I have a question about weapon upgrades though, specifically about weapon levels. Let’s take Link and the Hylian Sword as an example. Am I understanding this correctly by assuming that the Knight’s Sword would be the Level 1 Hylian Sword, the White Sword would be Level 2, the Magical Sword is Level 3, and so on?

If that’s the case, let’s say I unlock the Level 2 weapon, the White Sword. Three questions:

1. Does the White Sword function any differently (besides being more powerful) than the Knight’s Sword or is it simply a skin change indicating a different weapon level?
2. Assuming 0 upgrade slots filled on each weapon, are Level n+1 weapons always more powerful than Level n weapons?
2. Once I unlock the White Sword, will the Level 1 version of this weapon, the Knight’s Sword, keep randomly dropping? In other words, once I get into the late game, am I going to be dealing with mountains of vendor trash low level weapons I can only sell?

1) Skin change indicating different level
2) Yeah, Higher level weapons are always more powerful unless you slot in the 'Legendary' skill which will bump any weapon up to tier 4+ in power. Only worth it if you really want to use a lower level skin since its only a tiny power boost for a higher tier weapon. Also lower tier weapons cap out at fewer slots than higher tier ones.
3) It becomes less likely to drop but you can still get them from doing the easiest content so if you want to farm one late game you can.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rirse posted:

Finally got the blasted hammer so I can do the later Adventure Maps without having to deal with needing a full magic bar for the bird. Got two questions through, what is the button prompts for Linkle's combo where she just starts run gunning at enemies for about ten seconds. Feel like it the final combo, but most of the times when I do the prompt she does the fire bolts in a circle animation instead.

Also what the item you need to unlock Toon Zelda, as I want to get just grab her real quick from the Spirit Track map, but don't know which item to go for first.

Cannon for Toon Zelda.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

How big of a power upgrade is getting those weapons early? Are we talking "steamroll everything else" level or just "makes everything much easier"?

Closer to the second. It can make a big difference in the maps you can tackle without ripping your hair out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I have Link at ~lv45 and everyone else between 20-40 should I do hard Legend mode to get the second skulltulas? I really only have the lv2 weapons unlocked through the story though maybe I should wait until I have more of those.

Hard is pretty east tbh. I played Legends on hard from the beginning and it was still cake overall.

Extreme or whatever is the one you want to avoid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Now that I think of it, a Hyrule Warriors x Fire Emblem Warriors crossover do need to overcome some not-insignificant hurdles.

How would stats be handled? Movesets? What would be the best way to make playing Zelda characters feel like you're playing a Zelda character and playing a FE character feel like you're playing an FE character, while still working off of the same core mechanics? How would an FE character interact with elements that are indubitably Zelda and vice versa? How would weapons work?

The obvious answer would be to create a new system that doesn't fit perfectly into either but rather hybridizes it.

So instead of a Sword/Lance/Axe weapon triangle you could do a Edge/Pierce/Blunt one which could encompass most weapons. The real oddballs and magic can still be their own bespoke category outside of this that interacts with it like Magic does in Hyrule Warriors. (You'd also kill a few sacred cows by making Axes into clubs/hammers to fill out the blunt damage for the FE characters)

I would also take a page from Super Robot Wars and keep the Zelda characters all have their own weapons while the Fire Emblem characters are defined by being able to move the weapons around to other characters in their weapon class. Alternatively, you could just go full unique weapons for everyone since I didn't really find the generic weapons compelling and FE warriors eventually gave everyone a unique special weapon anyways.

You could probably make that work overall if you had to mash the two games together. I'd also probably go for an expansion of the elemental system and tie it into weaknesses. So enemies would be weak to an element (So fliers would be weak to lightning which would be the innate element of all bows) etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 6, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'd actually prefer to keep the elemental effects separate from the -slayer weaknesses. Just keep them as skills if you need to. Might be best to remove elemental weaknesses altogether.

I like the elemental system and wanted to keep it even if some of the effects should be reworked. It fits even with the FE characters, most of them have an elemental affinity with their attacks anyways.

quote:

On the other hand, letting the Zelda characters have their own weapons while the FE characters simply select from a pool of generic weapons (+ their Prf which would be their ultimate weapon) would be ace.

Actually, giving this, I'd say the Zelda characters should only have one weapon each (while making Link's Master Sword into the ultimate weapon of the Hylian Sword line for this). While losing options hurt, most characters are better off with their primary weapon.

This I heavily disagree with however. What is even the point of making Link just another sword dude when he already has a bunch of other fun movesets like the Gauntlets or Spinner? Like you don't need to borify Zelda just because FE Warriors kinda sucked on this. I'd be happier if they expanded the FE movesets.

quote:

Also, if we're simplifying the triangle that way, I'd say Ganondorf (with the Great Swords as his weapon) should be a Magic type character despite his weapon. All of his moves that aren't string and C2 are basically magic attacks (including C4 which is just slashing to make a pseudo-barrier to blast away).

Sure. I'd like if they also had the Trident as a pierce weapon because I love the Trident moveset

quote:

Also, we'd all love it if they weren't in, but if Giant Bosses do appear, we'd need to find a satisfactory way to make both Zelda and FE characters interact with them.

Giant bosses rule :colbert: Honestly you could do a BOTW style Sheikah slate to summon various things, simplify the secondary weapons down to Bombs, Stasis, Magnesis and have them apply to multiple big bosses? IDK

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

I only fought him the one time in story mode, but I have a hard time believing he's worse than manhandla. Extra people still actually help against him.

Manhandla is easy as hell though?

Especially with 2+ people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sockser posted:

Is there some trick to Young Link that I’m missing? He seems completely useless in combat

Upgrade his magic and special bars ASAP. Stay in Fierce Diety form as much as possible

He only really shines on maps with tons of enemies that let you stay in FD mode indefinitely. On like quiz or duel maps without mooks he's pretty bad

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Hasn't every single Smash game had hidden characters that were only discovered once the game launched? If there are any more characters in Smashu, that's probably where they'll be.

Linkle won't be in Smash, feel free to quote me on this

Yeah though usually and traditionally the majority are like Jigglypuff who is unlockable in every game with only a few surprise newcomers. I remember Wolf was the big surprise in Brawl, and Duck Hunt in Sm4sh.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

That was posted 2 months after the 3DS release

Besides Duck Hunt they also didn't reveal Dark Pit and a bunch of returning chars (Jigglypuff, ROB, etc).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Most Warriors games don't have lock on

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

And thank God that both Nintendo Warriors series have it.

Yeah. I tried to get into DW8 after really liking Hyrule Warriors and boy do you miss lock-on in that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bakalakadaka posted:

Getting all the weapons up to level 3 makes the master sword about the same power as a level 4 weapon, and the second unlock makes it comparable to a 5* level 4 weapon but it still won't be as good as a 5* 4+ weapon because it won't have 2 elements or any skills. Really the master sword is kind of poo poo once you've unlocked rank 3 weapons and the 4k skills.

Yeah, uh, nope. The Master Sword has a bunch of hidden modifiers that make it ridiculous. Also the sword beams.

It is hands down the best weapon in the game. By far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bakalakadaka posted:

Well I guess you can tell I never upgraded it and don't really use Link outside his weapon missions lmao.

I use Link a lot but its because Gauntlets and Spinner are two of my favorite weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Only if I have to fight it as Fi.

Yeah, you know the mission.

It is so much easier now though. In the original/Legends you had to A rank it to progress which was locked behind 10 hearts of damage.

:shepicide:

I did it in one go with the requirements loosened in Ultimate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I am hype! So very hype! Too much to hope Groose will make it in, probably?

It looks like its exclusively BotW characters so probably

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

Wouldn't you have enough rupees to just max level every character then? Is that how hard it is that max level characters can't beat the tougher maps?

A lot of character power is tied up in weapons and some of the DLC characters and weapons are hidden on the harder adventure mode maps.

Still, I didn't particularly have issues unlocking them myself. The changes in Definitive Edition make it much, much easier than the horrific scaling the initial release had.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Sidon is a toddler when the game takes place so if we do get him it'll be as an adventure mode unlock or as DLC.

I think one of the more interesting characters they could put in would actually be Link's dad with a spear. He's supposed to be an incredibly well accomplished knight, picked as a personal diplomatic envoy from Hyrule to teach Princess Mipha how to wield a spear etc. Canonically took Link along and lived with the Zora for a bit. It never says what happened to him after though.

So hey, make him a secondary character who tragically dies in the Calamity and has a sweet moveset like Volga but less dragon stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Evil Badman posted:

There's a set end point so you can introduce literally anyone and they just don't survive. A Yiga person, Purah, or Impa are probably on the table.

We also have the conspicuous mini-Guardian with a unique design hanging out on the cover.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

They confirmed amiibo functionality right?

Waiting for the resale prices of the Zelda sets to spike up like crazy again. $80 Toon Link here I come! (i already bought one for $40 years ago

Cia/Lana gives them endless potential for fun, but you can't be horny on a main Zelda title.

Skyward Sword and BotW are filled with horny characters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I'm sort of expecting not to see Lana/Cia, given how much the reveal emphasized they were working together on the story & script and how it would be canonical.

But I have to imagine there will be some new characters they come up with to fill the rolls of the enemy captains?

Yeah for named enemy captains right now you have the Ganon Blights, Kohga and....?

You could pretty easily make up a 'boss' Lynel/Lizaflos/Moblin/Bokoblin/Talus and they'll probably come up with some sort of obligatory sexy Yiga ninja at least. Potentially a named Guardian who starts off on the hero side and turns when the Guardians get corrupted.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kin posted:

To be honest i'd take any Nintendo franchise warriors. the biggest difference between Hyrule Warriors and any of the other warriors series like One Piece, Berserk or dragon quest wasn't the Zelda theme, but the Nintendo polish that went into it.

Things like the camera, enemy lock-ons, bosses, weapons, leveling systems, all of it just makes the other games feel a bit choresome to play because there's some tired mechanic in them that's been overlooked (usually the camera).

Yeah, the lack of lock on especially made it really rough for me to play other Musous since Hyrule Warriors was my first and I bounced of DW8 and WO3 hard because of it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Specifically, the Switch version changed it so that the damage requirements are based on a percentage of your total health lost, rather than absolute damage taken, so getting heart containers and leveling up makes it easier to do well.

Yeah, in the original a bunch of the A ranks were capped at 5 hearts lost total. In 3DS and Definitive they were massively expanded and I think even the strictest one in Definitive is 80% damage taken. Which is 24 hearts if you have all of them on a character.

In return though, KO requirements were jacked up. They were a flat 1200 for A rank in all maps on WiiU and range from 1000-1800 depending on map and rank in Definitive.

For time 15 minutes has always been the A rank cut off for everything iirc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

It doesn't really seem like a musou in the same sense as HW1, more like a linear combat focused prequel to BOTW.

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZB75gT8YTk

Its super Musou. We still have keeps, break gauges, hordes of enemies, captains etc.

One of Link's new moves is a shield surf and he's got a lot of bow attacks which look fun.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 26, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So we got a new trailer that confirms Robbie and Purah which brings us up to 9or 10 characters depending on if the mini-Guardian is one or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9wD-3q84Q

They've almost definitely still got a few left to reveal too. I'm betting the King is one of them even if he's locked to the adventure mode equivalent, seems a waste not to use that model and all the unique animations we've seen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I can't wait to learn how Kohga survived 100 years.

Sheikah live a long-rear end time. Purah, Robbie and Impa are also still around after 100 years

Also you can see he has a young and fit model in HW, the fat stuff is from cutscenes in BotW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hogama posted:

Potential (roster/story) spoilers through datamined icons:

Link, Zelda, Rhoam, Mipha, Daruk, Revali,
Urbosa, Impa, Sidon, Yunobo, Teba, Riju , Hestu
Great Fairy, Master Kohga, Maz Koshia, Egg Guardian, Ganon(?)

Should be noted these are map icons, and some may not actually be playable, but it's as close to confirmation as we have for the base game (obviously DLC may add more). So up to 18 characters at base, not counting alternate movesets.

Huh

Are they going to time travel back the future Champions along with the Egg Guardian? Also the DLC boss should be a fun one to adap