Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's unbelievably hosed up that the item card vendor on the Great Sea adventure map isn't Beedle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Okay, so one of the keeps in this adventure mode map has a fairy in it. I captured the keep, I got the fairy, and I even broke all the jars in the keep just to make sure, but no new fairy showed up in fairy mode. What did I miss?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Robotic Accolade posted:

Your princess was in another castle.

That is to say, the fairy on the minimap is the elemental fairy used to neutralize another keep's field effect. The fairy you want to collect was in a jar in a DIFFERENT keep on the map, most likely. Go back and smash literally every brown pot on the map. Yes, this is a big stupid thing. Also, the audiovisual cue for picking up the fairy is the same as picking up low-relevance items like crafting materials, so its easy to miss when you do get it. But it's there, in a brown pot somewhere on the map.

Thanks. Features with similar names to each other aren't always explained clearly, I'm discovering.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It does seem to be the series' MO to hold some stuff back against the possibility of a sequel, even if one never comes. In addition to the lack of Oracle content, there's nothing from Minish Cap (imagine a map that's just some gigantic house), no Gerudo representative, no Groose, no Beedle, a relatively small number of humanized bosses, understandably nothing from Breath of the Wild, and on and on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I loving love Unlocking

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Keep the button held down after you do a combo that ends with X, and she'll charge up the bomb arrows.

Edit: am I the only one that went with the "Zelda" control scheme where the button layout is rotated so it's B for basic attacks and Y for finishers, instead of Y and X?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I'd like to know this too.

Also, is it really a requirement for every hidden item on the adventure maps that you have to:

1. use a compass to reveal the spot on the map
2. use the required item to reveal the "peculiar spot" that the compass highlights

?

You don't need to use the compass if you are able to identify the location of the peculiar spot by other means.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Other means? Like educated guessing?

Or looking it up. The first map in particular has items hidden in the locations of just about every secret in the Zelda 1 overworld.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there a correspondence between the levels of a scenario in Adventure Mode and the level a character ought to be to attempt it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The big attack at the end of Focus Spirit exposes all giant boss weak points immediately. I don't know if you have to blow it early or if it also works if you just let it expire naturally.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Reality Loser posted:

When in story mode do you get the hammer? The story isn't gripping me at all so far and I'd rather be doing adventure.

Towards the end, in the Wind Waker campaign.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's the effective way to use the Baton?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't usually mind fighting The Imprisoned, but fighting The Imprisoned while locked in a keep is the dumbest thing ever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think the question was how did you skip to the level 4 harp?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So there's this quiz mission on the first Adventure map where the rank A reward requires playing as Zant and the third quiz gives you an option between Ganondorf (the right answer) and... a Bokoblin.

I guess I'm not getting all the heart containers, but I'd still like to know how Zant of all characters can avoid doing area damage in that battle?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

I boomeranged the Bokoblin, then just attacked Ganondorf with regular attacks and whatnot.

That makes sense, but it sounds like it would take forever. I'll come back with a better weapon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So is there something I have to do in order to get item cards to drop in the Great Sea map? I can't buy any because none have dropped yet, and none of the battles I can attempt seem to drop one, and they all have something I need to search for. Am I gonna have to do battles without searching first, or is my game bugged, or what? I want to unlock Medli.

Edit: yes, I did have to clear a battle without searching in order to proceed past and get the item I needed to do the search. It must have been awful to play this mode without the item shop.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 28, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It took me a while to figure out that the "level" there doesn't mean character level, but rather the relative difficulty of challenges of that particular type.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

How difficult is it to A-Rank the mission in P-2? "Fight as a warrior of water!" Lv. 3, limited to Link. I haven't unlocked the Great Fairy weapon set for him yet, and I really don't feel like slogging all the way down to the opposite corner of the map just to grab it so I can clear this to get access to Linkle's level 1 Pegasus Boots set.

You don't need to use the recommended element type to get a good rank.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tingle is too old to be a boy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, damage requirements are percentage now, so heart pieces matter again. That said, if the A rank requirements are 100% or less, hearts are still useless.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every game should have a stupidly overpowered option. I believe this with all my heart.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's crashed on me a handful of times. It does appear to have a memory leak, so you should close the game down periodically.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pierson posted:

Which character does the Great Seas adventure map want who has a weird purpleish-blue masked head? I can't figure it out.

If it's got two red eyes, it's Cia. If it's got two white eyes and a hood, that's Wizzro, even though Wizzro has only one eye. If it's pointy, that's Zant.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Can I unlock skulltulas and heart pieces and such (for the appropriate character) in Free mode, or does it have to be Adventure mode proper?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dynasty Warios

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Advance Wars Musou you cowards

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've got a bunch of level 2 weapons and one single lonely level 3 weapon. Are there particularly easy level 4 or 4+ ones to go after and skip a level?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

That reminds me, which IP crossing over with the Warriors formula would you like to see next? I hope I get to see a crossover with Super Mario Bros. since there'd be a lot of cool elements that could be added to the Warriors gameplay and the HW and FEW games are pretty much the best, most high-quality ones I've played in this franchise.

Advance Warriors (weapon types are vehicles and you ride around on a little cartoon-looking tank/jeep/helicopter unless you're playing as infantry; all vehicles are available to all COs, who have a variety of different powers they can use independently of them instead)

Other classical world literature besides Romance of the Three Kingdoms could be fun to exist. Round Table Warriors, or Mahabharata Warriors, or something. I know they tried this once with that one based on the Iliad, but they shouldn't give up.

Apparently the president of Koei Tecmo has wanted to do Star Wars Musou for years, and I can't see a single thing wrong with that concept as long as Darth Sidious is playable and you can just go around electrocuting various enemies and cackling about Unlimited Power.

Pixeltendo posted:

and Wario Warriors

Dynasty Warios

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Fairy magic," activated by pressing the right stick while having enough magic, does damage to enemies over a wide radius. There's no visual effect associated with it, but it seems that it can kill enemies that aren't even loaded yet. The higher the fairy's level, the more damage and the wider the radius. At levels 25 and 50, a fairy gains additional elemental effects that are added to the affected area. Units that the spell is affecting are colored blue. They do more damage if the element matches the recommended element for the stage, and the damage scales with their level. Their clothing also influences the damage and the cost.

Additionally, a fairy gives you one or more "fairy abilities," which show up in the item menu. The abilities a fairy can give you are based on their stats, which are complicated to manage.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The first couple of levels in each map are easy enough to handle as soon as the map is unlocked, and there are some high-level weapons that can be accessed early if you know what you're doing, like Sheik's 4+. It absolutely is a good idea to be bouncing around between maps a lot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're having trouble with the missions involving traitors, I find it helpful to start out by going back into the allied area and eliminating the leaders of the initial wave of turncoat forces. The leaders of those groups are a lot weaker - so weak you can't even target them, but they still have health bars, and eliminating one still makes all of their followers go away. Very often there's an owl statue accessible in that direction as well, which it will be helpful to have activated. It's still a challenging mission type, but doing that initial sweep means that the allied base takes longer to start having problems and lasts longer when they do arise.

I like how much this game is based on efficiency. The character you're controlling can do anything, but only one at a time, and everything is going wrong at once. So the sense of progression comes from upgrades that help you get those tasks done faster, and the challenge in each mission is to prioritize all of the threats, deciding which ones will help you win and which can be left alone for now, and react to changing circumstances. It really is a strategy game played from an action perspective.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There may be a Linkle trophy. Not assist trophy, regular trophy.

So, Skull Kid's C3 is basically the best crowd control move in the game, right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skills that aren't sealed:
  • Darkness+
  • Light+
  • Fire+
  • Water+
  • Lightning+
  • EXP+
  • Materials+
  • Food+
  • Rupees+
  • Slots+
  • Stars+
  • Strong Attack+
  • Strong Attack II+
  • Strong Attack III+
  • Strong Attack IV+
  • Strong Attack V+
The ones that increase drop rate and quality have obvious utility. If you've got a favorite workhorse move, a skill that boosts it is good to have. Water+ extends the duration of the water element's damage-over-time effect, which interrupts enemies when they might otherwise be using a combo that exposes their weak point gauge, so it's probably not a good one to bring.

1000-KO skills:
  • Arrows+
  • Bombs+
  • Boomerang+
  • Health+
  • Hookshot+
  • Special+
None of these are worth the effort except, very situationally, maybe Special+.

2000-KO skills:
  • VS Beast (effective against Manhandla, Gohma, The Imprisoned, and Helmaroc King)
  • VS Dragon (effective against King Dodongo, Argorok, Volga, Lizalfos, Dinolfos, Aerolfos, and Fiery Aerolfos
  • VS Ganon (effective against Ganon, Phantom Ganon, and Yuga, but bizarrely not Ganondorf)
  • VS Legend (effective against Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Young Link, Linkle, Toon Link, Toon Zelda, and Ravio, but apparently not Tetra for some reason)
  • VS Sea (effective against Toon Link, Toon Zelda, King Daphnes, Medli, Marin, and Toon Zelda)
  • VS Skyward (effective against Impa, Fi, and Ghirahim)
  • VS Soldier (effective against Hylian Captain, Goron Captain, Moblin, Shield Moblin, Big Blin, and Stone Blin)
  • VS Sorceress (effective against Lana and Cia)
  • VS Termina (effective against Young Link, Tingle, and Skull Kid)
  • VS Time (effective against Darunia, Ruto, Sheik, Young Link, and for some reason Tingle)
  • VS Twilight (effective against Midna, Agitha, Zant, and Twili Midna)
  • VS Undead (effective against Wizzro, Big Poe, Icy Big Poe, Gibdo, ReDead Knight, Darknut, and Stalmaster)
A few of these might come in handy if there's a particular type of enemy you know you'll be battling and have the room for it.

3000-KO skills:
  • Adversity (more damage at low health)
  • Compatriot (more damage when you control more keeps)
  • Defenseless (increases damage, but blocking doesn't prevent damage)
  • No Healing (increases damage, but hearts don't do much)
  • One-Hit Kill (you can take out some enemies in one hit, but it doesn't say which)
  • Regen (take more damage, but regain health over time)
  • Sturdy Feet (take more damage, but gain immunity to knockback)
Although they changed how damage scoring works in Definitive Edition (it's now based on a percentage of your max health rather than a fixed amount, so heart containers actually do something for you), it's still generally desirable to minimize taking damage altogether, so No Healing is very useful and Regen is worse than an empty slot.

4000-KO skills:
  • Finishing Blow+
  • Focus Spirit+
  • Hasty Attacks
  • Heart-Strong
  • Regular Attack+
  • Special Attack+
All of these are pretty good.

5000-KO skills:
  • Heart Power
It's free damage with no downside. Put it on everything.

If you're not seeing some of these drop, you need more skulltulas. When you have 90, all these skills can drop. There's a progress bar on the skulltula-related medals in the medals list.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

- What does King Daphnes' meter do?

I haven't quite figured out the others yet, but for this one: Combo 1 fills it and it depletes over time. His attacks are faster when there's meter left and slower when it's empty.

In general, if you go to Warrior Info > Check Combos you'll get a brief description of the character's main gimmick.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ruto is weird because of how many of her moves can't be cancelled. Just destroy everyone with waves. C3 to charge in, C6 to hit hard, basic string to hit bosses, C1 to snipe generals.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Huh, the damage limits get more lenient with increased difficulty.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you have access to multiple characters, have one of them glued to the character who needs defending and swap back to them periodically. Abuse your foreknowledge of scripted events, and use a high-level weapon to kill everything rapidly.

I recently missed out on a Legend Mode skulltula because I cleared the mission before I was able to trigger the condition.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hit the little guy with a boomerang then move so he's behind the camera. Be careful not to use really wide attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Is there a way to make Girahim not suck? I love him as a character but using him isn’t fun.

Always be locked onto your target with your strong attack. Most combos do extra attacks that specifically hit your target. Aggressively cancel out of attack animations and learn which combos not to extend.