Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
What are good fights for getting chu jellies? I needed some electric ones and I ended up doing the Anti Lightning Training I because you get 1 or 2 jellies per run, but I don't know if there's anywhere better.

Also I ended up fusing away everyone's Champion weapons because I got better drops, do you ever get new ones from somewhere? And does doing higher difficulties increase material drops or weapon quality?

On that note I'm kinda lukewarm about weapon fusing in this game. It's much better than the first HW's weapon fusing, which was awful, but I was hoping for something more like Warriors Orochi's weapon fusion where you can select what skills to pass on, and fusing identical skills onto a weapon increases its potency. So far I've figured out whatever skill is the first one on the first weapon you choose for fusion gets passed on (which is annoying when you don't find out if you get another slot until after you've started fusing), and skills gain potency based on level I guess? Not sure about that one.

Also count me in the group of people that are disappointed that Purah and Robbie aren't playable, and am hoping they'll be DLC characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I unlocked the ability to see how many Koroks are in a level, I went back to Battle for Hyrule Field and ran around for half an hour and still am missing one, ugh. I'm also still way short of Bokoblin parts to unlock Skull Lake because I was an idiot and sold a bunch for rupees for weapon fusion two chapters back.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

As a Dynasty Warriors fan I only know the block button as the "reset camera" button, and am annoyed it's on ZL instead of L like in DW8.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The weapon power curve in this is way flatter than in any other warriors game I've played. Some people on reddit have tried creating maxed weapons and it's like...165 attack with 14% damage increases if your seal shapes match. If you can stack the same seal that might make things more interesting, but otherwise minmaxing doesn't seem that worth it

That seems a lot better than any DW game I've played, where people's max level weapons are usually like 54 attack or so. Then again, you also get attack stats from leveling up (or getting items on the field, depending on which game) which is where you really get the most damage from, whereas this game it seems like you probably get some attack boosts as you level but the majority of your attack is coming from weapons.

I got a Royal Guard Claymore from Hyrule Castle today, which is now Link's main two hander for me. I also managed to get a rusty weapon for Impa with the amazing property of...Fusion EXP 150%. Kind of a dud, but at least that'll be nice if I ever get another rusty weapon for her. It's still much more attack than what she had before.

So far my favorite characters to play as are Mipha and Hestu, with the Great Fairies being my absolute least favorite. Monk dude seems cool but I need to get his bonus combo missions finished before I start messing with him. Also I'm pretty disappointed Soogah isn't one of the playable characters. Maybe DLC? I'm also only in chapter 5 so maybe there's a story reason for not being playable, but I'll still hope for being a DLC character.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Alacron posted:

Okay, I can safely say I was not expecting to like Yunobo this much.

He owns, his gimmick reminds me of DW8's War Trident weapon only better.

Well I got another rusty weapon for Impa and now she's my greatest asskicker with a max level 87 attack sword with some special attack boosts. Man, removing seals is unbelievably expensive though, not in the rupee cost but in the material cost.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I find Hestu to be pretty strong actually, I've been using him quite a bit. You have to keep the Koroks up though or he's a lot less good.

So Escape From the Yiga Clan loving sucks. Having to fight three Yiga Blademasters at the same time in a room with spiked floors, and then Soogah joins in, and then having to fight Master Kohga while he summons like six Yiga Blademasters and then Soogah jumps in again and all with a time limit is some bullshit. I only barely won with a Link five levels above the recommended and with a 61 attack weapon.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I haven't even seen like 70% of those weapons for Link and I'm in chapter 6.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

While it's neat that every character has relatively unique runes, it becomes irritating when some of them don't work like how you want. Like when a Wizzrobe flies into the air, Link can't hit it with bombs because he can't aim up, and Urbosa's bomb rune has a long windup that causes her to hit after the enemy's lost the weak point. About half the cast seems to use cyronis at a distance rather than right in front of them which means 70% of the time it's triggering behind the enemy which isn't helpful.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

This is why Mipha is the best. Her cryonis works good and her bombs do a bunch of weak point damage. I haven't really been using Impa much and I just discovered like 10 minutes ago that she can ride the block of ice like a badass.

So far Revali has the best cryonis I've seen, he does it immediately in front of him and it falls from the sky in four blocks side by side so it's really good at hitting things. This does make it not great for Moldugas though but you fight those a lot less than you fight Lynels.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That's one of my biggest complaints, the original HW refilled your bottles between battles, but this one doesn't and you can't just buy apples or something between missions to refill your apple meter.

Not that I'd have many rupees to buy apples with anyway, I don't know when I'll ever be able to get to that 5000 rupee mission because I'm just stuck hovering around 3k.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only one I've encountered so far that's like that was the Fort Hateno battle, where I had to kind of ignore Purah for a while because the fort was being swarmed by a Lynel and three Guardians and got down fairly low in health. Of course, Purah wasn't in any danger the entire time, despite being around a Windblight Ganon.

It also sticks out to me that there's a lot of battles with outposts that just don't matter, capturing them does nothing for you and the game never tells you to go there. Not sure why, in other Warriors games that would be a boost to your army's morale so they would fight a bit better, but without any enemy advancement they're just kind of pointless.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kin posted:

HW warriors wasn't some strategic masterpiece or anything but at least it felt like there were armies fighting eachother and without my help my side wouldn't win.

This definitely feels more like "Breath of the Wild with some Musou design" rather than the first HW game which was "a Musou game with some Zelda design." I like it, but I do wish allies weren't so useless and it felt more like an actual battle. I'm pretty sure the allied soldiers in the first level never even move. No wonder the king was so impressed with Link, he was the only one who actually decided to fight.

The more I play with Teba the more convinced I am that he's just the most broken character. His C3 just completely tears through crowds and his C4/6 are strong as hell to the point that sometimes I just take out officers without even bothering with the weak point gauge. Mipha has a weapon with 40 attack power higher than his and she struggles to kill things, she has the same kind of problem I felt a lot of characters had in the first HW (maybe it was just me, I dunno) that strong attacks never really seem strong enough to actually finish mooks off, I always have to follow up afterwards with something else.

So while I'm thinking about it I might as well ask. Fire enemies can be cheesed with ice rod, ice enemies can be cheesed with fire rod, what do I do with electric enemies? I feel like I had this problem in BotW too, I never really knew how to deal with electric types.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I agree that monk dude is kind of fun to play as but I wouldn't really call him good. He's fine but I've found myself enjoying playing him less and less the more I've used him.

Gaukler posted:

In HW1 I hated having to babysit outposts and I felt that I spent an inordinate amount of time running between them, and then the boss fights that were a bunch of waiting around didn’t help either. This seemed to be more prominent in HW as I never felt this sort of pressure in other DW games.

DW4 (or was it 5?) had different kinds of area bases but for most of the other ones "bases" were just spots at the edge of the map with a single dude guarding it where soldiers of whatever army held it ran in from. And yeah, HW officer/boss fights are really bad, with a lot of waiting around. This actually is pretty accurate to older 3D Zeldas like OoT where enemies just blocked constantly and you had to wait for them to open themselves up, but it doesn't work for a Musou type game. I mean, officers block constantly in Musou games but you can do a lot of different things to get around that such as just moving behind them, or using certain types of charge attacks (I think 7 just had the C1 straight up be a guard break). HW relied too much on weak point gauges being a thing so you'd have to wait for the gauge to appear, and even then you'd get maybe two or three wedges off it before the officer just put up their guard again and forced you to wait. I like HW a lot but it's pretty tedious compared to this one, where you can attack officers constantly since they don't guard. It might not do a lot of damage but you're still being a lot more active fighting them since it's not just useless flailing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Geez, Ironshrooms are ridiculously rare. They're not sold at any shops and only three levels have them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hair Width Expert+ can gently caress right off. The Octorok placement is brutal, and the last area is full of archers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zore posted:

Remember too that the Lynel is in water for the final fight so you can use Cryonis to force the frozen WPG out.

I didn't have too much trouble with the Lynel, it's a fire type anyway so I was using lots of ice rod hits. The archers were annoying and made me retry a few times, but the worst was the Fire Guardian because it's surrounded by like four Octoroks.

Senerio posted:

There's a korok in expert+ as well. Make sure to grab that before you do it so you don't have to do it again.

Well...poo poo. :negative: That's extremely rude of them.

Just finished the level where you have to beat 12 Guardians, and boy do they like to group up. If I hadn't gotten a lucky level up on Urbosa to spam her musou attack I don't think I would've beaten it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Revali is kinda good but he really needs a better way to transition between ground/flying, unless I’ve missed something.

Revali starts out seeming crazy but the more I used him the less it seemed that way. He's awkward because his ground combat is pretty subpar, he only has a C3 at max though his normal attack string is decent for WPG damage at least. The game really wants you to use him in the air (which makes sense, he's a Rito and is proud of his air abilities) but when he's in the air he has problems hitting enemies sometimes due to height differences, and none of his strong attacks are particularly good at doing WPG damage. It's also easy for enemies to knock him out of the sky, which means you have to waste time getting back up, and the camera while he's flying can be pretty spotty.

I feel like Revali would be a lot better if his air attacks forced WPG damage like other characters' midair attacks. I know they almost certainly purposely made them not do that because they were worried he'd be too overpowered if they did, but considering how many high level enemies have no shortage of attacks to knock him out of the sky, it'd be a nice risk/reward situation I think.

Speaking of which my opinion of Sidon improved immensely when I figured out his C6 forces WPG damage, except on Taluses.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

i find Revali is one of the best at depleting WPGs, in part because he's the only character who can cancel his stasis rune attack in such a way that it still does its full damage without cutting stasis duration short, meaning he can land the stasis attack, his aerial c5, and then his ground c2 (or ground c2 into aerial c5), letting him deplete WPGs in one go.

Ah that's pretty helpful info. It's hard keeping track mentally of which characters have stasis runes worth using for extra WPG damage. I know Link's and Impa's are fantastic, and Sidon's is practically worthless. I don't like much of that character's runes come to think of it. His bombs are amusing the first time you use them and then quickly become irritating since it's a timing minigame and they take too long to set up, meaning most enemies have already lost their bomb vulnerability by the time he hits it.

e: I originally had Mipha as one of the "bad" stasis users but turns out that she can dodge cancel out of her stance and slap around enemies too, so she's fine (so is King Rhoam for that matter). So that makes the other characters with stasis animations less useful (which off the top of my head would be Daruk, Hestu and Urbosa, don't know if there's others).

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 8, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zore posted:

You can dodge out of everyone but Daruk's as far as I've been able to tell. It also feels super weird that Daruk can't and makes his Stasis the worst in the game.

After playing with Hestu a bit more today, I found out his stasis is pretty strong too if you have a full entourage of koroks with you, taking off about 3 or 4 wedges with his animation, and then you can still get some regular attacks in to boot after it finishes.

I beat the story a little bit ago. Really good stuff! The final Ganon battle was...okay. I think the Ganon fight in the first Hyrule Warriors was much better. Looking in the gallery, it says that Astor is from a "certain small village" in Hyrule, which makes me curious if he has an interesting backstory we might see in DLC.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

I wish this wasn't so clunky. Not sure why they made it so user-unfriendly like this. Just let us pick which skill we want to add out of the group, geez.

Warriors Orochi had weapon fusion perfected and I'm not sure why they decided to go backwards from it for the Hyrule Warriors games.

Anyway quick question about the first Hyrule Warriors game, since I was curious. Does DE add the 8 bit weapons back? They got taken out in Legends which was really disappointing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm fine with them just being skins, that's actually pretty great. Better than just removing them completely like Legends did. Link swinging a raft around is just funny.

So has anyone figured out a way to make bow Zelda good? I tried using her in a post game mission that required her to fight three Lynels and she was just awful. Her "super mode" was pathetically weak and just got me beat in the face by Lynel crushers over and over.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zore posted:

Zelda's Slate is way more broken anyways though. Like you can cheese the gently caress out of the Lynel mission with it by abusing the short rune cooldown and the fact using bombs makes you invulnerable on demand.

Yeah I went back with the slate and stomped the mission easily. I'm sure there's ways to make it work but after that I'm just going to mentally classify Zelda's other weapon as "not good" and just never use it.

I unlocked the first post game character last night, been messing around with them. The laser seems to have interactions with the C3 and C4, and also the C4 reacts differently depending on whether it's charged or not. I don't see any interaction at all with the C5 or C2, and while the C1 creates little "options" that also fire lasers, they disappear after one shot so they seem fairly useless. Still, a neat character and I like their cryonis.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Does anyone know how Daruk's enhanced ability is supposed to work? It says press Y to summon magma bombs, but pressing Y just regular attacks. Pressing Y after ZR doesn't seem to do anything either, nor does pressing Y near the magma he creates.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Finally unlocked the last character today though I haven't had a chance to use them yet, kind of silly they're playable but not really a complaint.

I also found the worst mission in the game, one where you have to fight six Lynels in fields of Lizalfos that are all "activated" and firing electricity/ice/arrows at you nonstop. The framerate straight up went to single digits in the electric Lizalfos area, I could barely play. It was bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Finished all the missions except one, which I have to collect all the remaining korok seeds for, then I guess I've fully completed it until we get DLC. I hope the DLC has the DLC outfits from BotW, I want my lobster shirt.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Teba now has a bow with Midair Attack 22/21/18 on it and he absolutely destroys everything with his C6.

So a question about a couple of recipes I've looked around and can't find good answers on what they do. They would be the Wheat Bread (cooking effects +20%) and the Monster foods (all stats + x% but health - y%). I know the Monster ones sound self explanatory but I cooked the 15% stat boost one and it didn't seem like it did anything. I was running one particular mission over and over again for Hinox guts, and my character seemed to be doing the same amount of damage when I cooked the Monster meal, since I was finishing it off at about the same time as I was when I hadn't cooked it. Unless there's some sort of weird thing where enemies can't take more than a set amount of damage per hit, it would seem to do nothing.

The Wheat Bread boosts cooking effects but what does that mean exactly? If I cook Damage 10%/12% and then Wheat Bread does my damage get boosted by 42%? Warriors Dojo seems to think it doesn't, since when they talked about Zelda's rune damage being boosted by food, they said that everyone else is capped at a 32% boost from food. It's possible he forgot about Wheat Bread, or also isn't sure what it does, though.

They just seem to be weird recipes that have effects that aren't self explanatory or don't seem to do what they say they do.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That makes Wheat Bread kind of even more useless then. The only thing I can think of for it is the "rare material drop rate 30%" recipe since there aren't any lower levels, but I never used that recipe and managed to finish all the quests just fine without having to grind anything (aside from the commendations, which wouldn't be affected anyway). But every other recipe has multiple levels that grant much more of a bonus than a 20% boost.

Anyway, does the "Improved Weapon Quality" seal work passively for anyone in a level or do the weapons have to be obtained by the character with the seal? Right now Kohga is the only one I have with that seal and while he's good I kind of don't want to have to do everything with him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh hey, Jirard fully completed Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5siRHAQXIs

1,020 hours.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm not sure how being able to actively participate in battle, using things like runes (especially stasis) and rods, and even certain strong attacks to force a WPG appearance is more of a tedious slog than standing around waiting for a Dodongo King to use the one attack it has that you can make a WPG appear from and then having to do that two more times, just standing around waiting for it to do the one attack and then it decides it wants to shoot the projectile fireballs or just roll around like an idiot. How is being able to actually fight bosses more of a tedious slog than that?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

YggiDee posted:

It's hilarious to call one game a 'tedious slog' when the other makes you fight The Imprisoned, more than once.

Remember OG Hyrule Warriors when the game automatically forced The Imprisoned to get up at half WPG?

Antilles posted:

I'm guessing because in HW1 on an average map you fight maybe half a dozen giant bosses + commanders, while in AoC you can have several dozen moblins, guardians, base leaders and commanders? Less time spent fighting per but more overall, something like that?

Maybe, but I still feel like a combat system that rewards active involvement and taking initiative will always be less of a slog than one that forces you to wait around for minutes at a time until the enemy does the one thing that makes it vulnerable.

Rand Brittain posted:

In general I would say that the actual combat in Age of Calamity is a significant improvement over the original Hyrule Warriors, but that they almost completely excised all the strategic elements and I miss them.

I don't know that that's true. While a lot of characters do have attacks that can force WPG appearance, you still have to actually be able to get those attacks off, which isn't always possible especially with aggressive enemies like Lynels. There's also a lot of strategy in how you approach some bosses. Link for example, if you use his one handed weapon, he can shoot arrows with his ZR attack, which can be used to force Hinoxes to stumble over and reveal the WPG kind of like in the original BotW. And they still have the "Use a particular attack to expose the boss's WPG" the original Hyrule Warriors had, it's just now there's multiple ones like a Lynel being vulnerable to Cryonis if it charges, or bombs if it's about to breathe fire, rather than "You only ever use the Boomerang on Manhandla."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah okay, yeah. Age of Calamity definitely dropped the ball on that. You can essentially ignore most things going on on the battlefield, I assume it was purposely designed like that so you could run around and try to find Koroks without having to worry about things, but I feel that's a bad design decision.

The closest I came to having to worry about what was going on elsewhere on the battlefield was the mission where you have to rescue Mipha/Daruk from their Divine Beasts during a Blood Moon while I was searching for Koroks. Mipha was down to a sliver of her health before I was able to get into Vah Ruta.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Warriors Dojo put up a couple more videos, Daruk and Kohga. To the surprise of nobody, Daruk is classified as "fine" and the other is one of the strongest characters in the game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I never really found Normal difficulty that difficult outside of one or two spots, I know everyone has different skill levels though. I watched Vinny play it and he played on Hard for a while and outside of enemies doing a bit more damage, the biggest reason it was difficult seemed to be a complete lack of apples. A lot of people said it sort of feels like there should be a difficulty between Normal and Hard because the jump is just huge.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wave 2 says "expanded roster" which I assume means more playable characters. But honestly Astor, Sooga, Purah and Robbie are probably going to be all we get.

The first HW was a celebration of all things Zelda and plus there was timespace fuckery so they could kinda just throw in whoever, but this game is sort of limited by being just about BotW so there really aren't many other characters they could add that would fit or that wouldn't just be new original characters like Sooga and Astor are.

Joke option though: add the lady who fucks up Link for stepping on the flowers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Evidence was found for Sooga, Robbie, Purah and Astor being playable because whenever you switch characters, the character you're playing as will call out the name of the character you're switching to (except when you're switching from Link, obviously), and there are voice files for characters calling out their names. That doesn't mean there can't be more later, of course, but those four were obviously planned to be released at a future date right from the start (kind of like Volga/Wizro/Cia in the original HW).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

If the Guardian is a full fledged character then there'll be a couple new stages probably for it to earn new moves and such.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well it's 1:30 AM EDT and I still don't have access to the new stuff (I preordered it and saw the "content downloaded and waiting for release" message a couple of days ago), so either it won't unlock until midnight PDT an hour and a half from now, or it won't unlock until the eShop stuff usually goes up, which is around noon EDT which would be ten and a half hours from now.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was able to download it just fine, but it's 7 AM and I really should get to sleep. All I really did was pop in and see what's new. So far there's one new stage right off the bat, as well as Robbie and Purah's EX Lab. The first thing you see is a skill tree type setup where the new quests are, and the first one unlocks the ability to get Research Papers, a new type of loot, as well as unlock EX Vicious Monster battles which add more stages to the map. I don't know how to get Research Papers yet, but from the quest tree there's Battle Records, Monster Ecology, Vicious Monsters, and Relic Analysis. There seems to also be quests to power up the Sheikah Slate runes even more, since one of the ones I unlocked was a boost to Remote Bomb power which requires you to defeat 100 enemies with bombs. That'll be nice for Zelda's slate moveset.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah finally being able to buy apples is good, it's one of the things people said should have been in the base game and I agree. For anyone who can't find where to buy them (the game doesn't tell you) it's on the screen where you choose your characters and recipes before going into battle, by the "Onward" button.

MonsieurChoc posted:

So how do I get the nunchuks and bike?

Do the quests at the EX Lab.

Scrap Dragon posted:

It won’t let me download the update either. It’s not even giving me an error code

Edit: Canceling the download and then restarting it by hitting start on the game icon and choosing “Software Update - Via the Internet” seems(?) to have fixed it

That's happened to me with some downloads I've done in the past month or two. Hell I bought Blossom Tales last night, closed the eShop and there was a blank icon with an X on the download bar, I selected it and it said there was an error, I chose to download again, and it started right up. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I can't believe the DLC added weapon durability.

(The flail weapon can "copy" enemy weapons with the ZR button, it changes the flail's moveset until the weapon breaks, and you have to wait a bit before you can grab another one.)