Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Does anyone have updated information on where the best place to get materials and such are?

Back in the OG HW you had to hunt all over the place but i think you can get everything easily and more quickly in the challenge modes now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Anyone know what the gold pouch A rank reward is?

I skipped over the popup by accident and don't know if i can see it again.

Edit: it looks like an 8-bit gold material pouch.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 23, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

YggiDee posted:

Food that's shown as an unlockable is hidden in a brown pot in an enemy keep on that stage, usually (but not always) the enemy home base. After that it'll drop rarely and randomly from officers.

Does the drop rate of food increase the more you collect?

There's a few maps with what look like mushrooms as reward, so I'm just wondering if they're different from eachother and as a result with a wider variety of food that could drop, you end up getting more on average as you play.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

Food items are divided into different types of food (plant, fish, meat, weird, etc.) and the various icons indicate a gold drop of that type is hidden on that level. It will always be the same food item, and when you get it the first time, it becomess unlocked as a drop from regular enemies, with different enemies dropping different food so the more food drops you unlock, the more chances you have of getting some food from any battle.

Cool.

Also I've seen since people mention rupees aren't an issue and you'll be swimming in them. That was definitely not the case in the original wii version without extensive grinding. Have things changed so that you're generally much more wealthy for leveling characters up?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

It might be a bit much to ask but can anyone list the goto move for each character?

Like, link is C3, Ganon C4 or whatever.

It helps to figure out if I'm just playing a character wrong and not missing out on some over powered attack.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Leal posted:

The "Two Armies" adventure mode missions are annoying because of your allied captains just dropping like flies. Kill a captain from one army? The other army gets buffed. Level the playing field? Well now the other army got buffed. And the second their big dots on the map touch your dude's dots on the map you're instantly bombarded with the friendly captains going from in trouble to danger to fleeing 4 seconds apart.

The only way i've found to get through them reliably is to be severely overleveled. I've still not been able to do the Twilight Midna one on the first map despite pumping her level up to 60.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

AfroGunsou posted:

Sometimes they might be up on ledges you have to use the hookshot to get up on

Also, make sure you've got your sound on (and aren't listening to music or anything). The sound is the easiest way to track them down by far.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I think the question was how did you skip to the level 4 harp?

It's one of the first weapon unlocks in the Koholint island map (IIRC).

It's about 6 squares from the starting block and most of the battles are fairly easy with whoever you've mained up until that point (Link with the Master sword for example).

There is one battle right before the weapon square though which requires you to use the Skull Kid and it's kinda tough. You only need a B rank to get through to the 4+ weapon square though, so it's doable with a low level SK.

While it's good, i still generally find that Link plus the master sword chews through things just as quickly.

edit: Oh, and for those thinking of trying, don't bother going for all of the myfaries. You can only keep 5 (for some reason) and you have to get rid of one if you keep collecting more. I don't even know if they contribute to your completion percentage or not.

Hell when i activate one i don't even know if it's doing its area damage thing or not so i barely use it while my overpowered link just murders everything.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 27, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is it worth investing the time into grinding up the beast Ganon challenge mode?

I heard its good for boss and character materials, but is it better than grinding out particular maps in adventure mode for individual characters or bosses?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

Level him up to 60-70 or so if you want to. By that point, Ganon's Fury does offer quite a lot of giant boss materials for relatively little time.

Also, incidentally, but compared to Fire Emblem Warriors, this game feels pretty... rushed. Incomplete. It seems to take one step back for every two steps forward, and I can't help but feel that it's predecessors were more finished games.

Is there a way to see your level outside of the fighting itself?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So i've started trying for a few other 4+ early(ish) weapons and i'm making slow progress through the phantom hourglass map for some of them (dueto the item that lets you use any character).

It looks as though characters with more difficult lower level weapons are there (Volga/Wizzro), but even with the sealed master sword and a level 115 link it's slow going.

I've all but cleared out the first 2 maps, for weapons. Which levels do i need to collect to unlock the master sword abilities again? All level 1's for the first then all level 3's for the second?

The first ability takes the damage up to 500 right and the second 900?

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 3, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

Correcting myself on this: You need Lv. 1-3 for Evil's Bane, Lv. 4 only for Exorcism. Also, they only need to drop once which means that unlocking higher rank weapons can shorten the time getting Evil's Bane and Exorcism to unlock because unlocking a higher rank adds the rest to the drop pool.

Given that I forgot about the bullshit 'don't get hit' master quest missions like the level 3 spinner, I might just grab the higher level ones where possible.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

The Boots are best at killing strong officers if I remember correctly, though I don't think they're a combo weapon. They have some of the most worst crowdclearing in the game though, and is probably the clear second worst Lightning weapon since a good amount of weapons are just more versatile or do what the Boots do better.

Most people go get Sheik's Lv. 4+ weapon early, then take Cia's Lv. 4+ in Grand Travels since those are pretty early on squares that aren't too difficult. (They then proceed to scour the Grand Travels map for the other Lv. 4+ weapons that lie there since the Golden Train removes character restrictions.)

Be warned though that the grand travels map is no pushover even with a 4+ Sheik or a level 100+ link and master sword.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hah, so I just got twilight midas 5* 4+ weapon and it came with full slots, all the drop/exp pluses, both light and dark plus and I stuck a heart power on it.

Almost everything melts now on the hard maps at level 90.

I've got the locked 10k skill available on another weapon, what does that one do again?

Was thinking I might have to swap something out of my mega weapon if its power level related

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is there any need to keep the lv1/2 weapon drops at all once you've unlocked the higher ones?

I find myself keeping the 5* ones but it's a bit choresome to keep doing that rather than selling anything weaker than my current weapon.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

b_d posted:

pretty sure the only reason not to sell a weaker weapon is if you want to grab one of its abilities

Is there not some white sword weapon requirement or something for Sultullas in the story mode?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So I've picked up a bunch of 4+ weapons from that second last map.

But I finding they're not that useful on the master quest map because I'm locked into specific weapons.

Do you still get locked into the weapon types on the other 4+ ones on things like the termina map?

Like can I use the 4+ fire rod for link to unlock the 4+ epona, which I then use to get the lv 3 epona?

Or is it easier to just try and cheese all the missions with a second player?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

It isn't at all consistent, sometimes you have to use that weapon, sometimes you can use any of the character's weapons, sometimes you can bring multiple characters...

Welp, cheesing the split screen it is then. Though I've seen it have a knock on effect on the number of enemies that show up making the ko target harder.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Bah, after the slog of the master quest map having to chug through loads of missions to get to the last couple of dlc level 3 weapons is like a kick in the balls.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

If only because stuff starts doing astronomically more damage. That said I've definitely had a few missions I passed despite feeling like I took way too much damage.

Wait, so when it says 200% it means i can lose my full healthbar twice over before dropping to B rank?

How does that correlate with the number in the pause menu, is that the same % figure?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

b_d posted:

what exactly does “increased weapon cap” mean?

yes, and yes.

Oof, I've been restarting things after I get taken to 125.

Though now I've got Twilight Midna at level 185 and a 5* 4+ weapon it seems like every mission with two characters is a total breeze now.

The 10000 kill skills just take a weapon up to the cap damage right? I've got one for her to unlock and wasn't sure if it would make any difference to the weapon I've got.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

If only they made more Nintendo franchises with the warriors system (with Nintendo polish).

Mario warriors would be easy win.

Hell they could even do a smash warriors if they wanted done kind of mega crossover too.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ElegantFugue posted:

Iirc the original pitch for HW was Koei-Tecmo going "hey Nintendo, wanna make Pokemon Warriors?" And Nintendo going "actually what if Zelda Warriors".

To be honest i'd take any Nintendo franchise warriors. the biggest difference between Hyrule Warriors and any of the other warriors series like One Piece, Berserk or dragon quest wasn't the Zelda theme, but the Nintendo polish that went into it.

Things like the camera, enemy lock-ons, bosses, weapons, leveling systems, all of it just makes the other games feel a bit choresome to play because there's some tired mechanic in them that's been overlooked (usually the camera).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I tried picking Fire Emblem Warriors back up to scratch the itch until thos comes out but it just doesn't feel as good. The soldiers feeling like undulating waves of grey made me seriously miss the variety in Hryule Warriors.

Yeah, I think that's why I can see something like Mario Warriors being an easy win.

There's already a roster of playable characters (Mario's gang, Bowsers Gang, Warios gang, etc) and a variety of enemies from goombas to hammer bros as well as a number of bosses that could be hand picked from any of the games.

Nintendo could even churn out DLC. You could have a Donkey Kong one, super Mario Land ones, Wario Land, super Mario Galaxy.

Even stuff like unlockable skins, moves and weapons. It's kinda all there really.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Did anyone else find the framerate a bit, i dunno, choppy.

Like it wasn't stuttering or anything like that but it felt like there was a bit of roughness to it. Though it's probably because in my head i was expecting it to flow like Hyrule Warriors: DE which is a port of a WiiU game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The only gameplay thing that bugged me was the number of mooks with the damage gauge.

It was fine when that was reserved for bosses, but not every time you want to take over a base.

In HW1 there was the odd rare occasion where you could command a base to be captured. I can't see that ever happening in HW2 because of that type of enemy gatekeeping it. Also their attack patterns seemed even more difficult to goad into using the one attack that let you counter with the tablet.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So far my main gripe with the gameplay is that it feels like everything is trying to stunlock you or just break your flow.

Hit by an enemy with a gauge? Down you go for a few seconds unable to move.
Running down a passage to the next area, up pops [enemy race] with their move that's designed to knock you to the ground for a few second.

It just feels so disruptive compared to the flow the first game had (even if you had to wait for opportunities with bosses).

Also the camera and boss fights can get a bit janky, especially that rock boss with the weak point on its back that you can't lock onto. There have been numerous fights where I've either cornered an enemy or been pushed up against a wall myself which has just been an exercise in frustration. The boss fight right after getting the Master Sword was another example of this.

I also hope that there's another mode or something that opens up after the main game. This world map and mission unlock method feels very... linear... so far. HW1's Adventure mode was kinda like mini story modes and you had to work your way through each of them to get to the end as well as replay missions within certain criteria to unlock other things. That all feels like it's missing in HW2, so I'm struggling to see the longer term replayability so far save for farming an item or exp.

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 22, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

b_d posted:

I never block at all. not as a challenge thing I just forget block is in this game

I wish I could remember myself. All of those corridor enemies designed to just knock you on your arse to stop you from running about is really loving annoying.

Dealing with them is like having to close a spammy popup. It's not fun, especially when I'm some 20 levels higher than the mission requirement.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Gotcha. Is the combat more challenging then? I guess what I mean is if there isn't time management then taking outposts or fighting bosses seems like it doesn't really have a lot of challenge since most enemies are there to get mowed down.

Eh sort of. There's a lot more dodging so far. Unless more enemy types show up after chapter 5 or 6 or whatever, the gameplay loop is run from a to b killing enemies with a stun gauge, then head to c to kill a larger "boss" equivalent.

It mixes it up by having elemental versions from time to time.

Like, I'm enjoying it, but there's definitely much less thinking required to the games detriment.

HW warriors wasn't some strategic masterpiece or anything but at least it felt like there were armies fighting eachother and without my help my side wouldn't win.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Actually I think that's a draw for most people with warriors games.

It's one of the reasons I bounced off of all of the other franchise ones because they all seemed to focus on you being the one thing fighting in the whole map.

It kinda feels like that's where the design of this game went. That or it was rushed and instead of getting a lot of whats essentially custom designed levels with their own timing based solutions, we got a lot of generic kill x dudes in 5 minute missions.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So in, postgame is the most effective way to do everything just to fire on the sensor for a few things (I've got it up to 10 simultaneous things now) and slowly just hit up the missions with green circles while visiting the shops in between them completing them?

Some of the story missions are quite long so I wasn't sure if there were a few specific and quick missions that drop pretty much all items to save me spending 10 minutes just getting one melon or whatever.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So I think I've found the fastest way to farm rupees, which is to cook the drop rate food to bump yourself up to +45%, add on any bonus you get from weapons, and then grind the desert mission with 1000+ weak enemies for parts to sell.

However, how the hell to I get the store clerk who pays double for monster parts to appear? Is it random?

Also these last missions you unlock after getting the final character are supposed to be brutal even on the easy difficulty yeah?

I've got a max level link and couldn't get the Fort mission completed due to the time constraints and boss health bars.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Alacron posted:

If you're talking about Siege of Fort Hateno, the timer only goes down if there's a guardian in your base. Keep someone posted there and switch to them any time you see a dot moving towards the right side of the screen.

Incidentally, I find that mission a good place to farm weapons, though if there's a blood moon out I'll go for that just for variety's sake.

Aha, so that's the trick.

Also what's more important for those missions that are quite malice filled: The master sword just being the master sword or the pure damage stats of a different weapon?

I've got the master sword up to about 82 but my 2 handed weapon is at 106 just now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So just finished off the last of the Koroks and i'm pretty much done with the game.

All the missions are done but i really can't be bothered getting everybody up to level 100 or getting any weapons up to level 30.

Overall it was fun but is definitely weaker than the first Hyrule Warriors.

Going through the Korok Seeds just help drive home the point that replaying the levels just aren't fun because it's all just about running from A>B to kill a specific enemy and that's about it. Every level is pretty much that and it looks nice, but it means that once you've done a side level, there's no real entertainment or point in going back to play it again unless you're grinding for a specific material.

Hell, you don't even have to go back to half of the levels in retrospect.

The original HW had the story mode which had goals for completing every difficulty as well as skulltullas to collect (including a unique requirement to unlock them). Then you had the adventure mode where there's the main mission requirement (which had a few different variations) as well as rankings based on how well you did. That ranking sometimes had to be good enough to let you progress. On top of that there were more skulltullas that were used to unlock extra missions.

AoC is a good game, but i get the feeling if it wasn't BoTW themed it wouldn't be getting as much praise.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hyrule Warriors didn’t have more than one adventure map at launch and the villain story and Linkle story were added later, the DE has literally years worth of added content so it’s not a fair comparison. If you compare the amount of content in AoC to Hyrule Warriors on WiiU at launch, it probably has about the same amount of content. Nothing says they won’t add more to AoC with updates and/or DLC. I find it likely considering the game sold very well and people are hungry for more BOTW content, but BOTW2 probably won’t be out for another year.

Edit: certain weapons get a Korok seed detection skill on lv 25.

I specifically didn't talk about the DLC. Everything I mentioned was in the base game.

HW had 18 original story missions before the DLC, AoC has 20. AoC has 161 challenges vs the HW 128 so it beats it, technically.

However, the majority of Challenges in AoC constitute to 3-4 minute jaunts that involve capturing a base and/or killing a specific elemental enemy or sub-boss. You also do them once and you're pretty much done with it. Unless you're grinding some of them for specific items, though I'd say I only had to revisit 7 or 8 of them for the bits and pieces I didn't get naturally or via shops.

The original HW adventure mode missions were on average 10-15 minutes long if you were speed-running them to get the A rank. They also had reasons to replay them (such as the skulltullas or heart pieces). The same thing goes for the story mode. Sure, there were 2 missions fewer, but you had a reason to replay them again too (difficulty and skulltulla requirements) which wasn't the mind-numbing fetch quest for Koroks that you really need a guide for in AoC.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 21, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I guess it’s a matter of opinion then, because I much prefer the shorter side quests. The main story missions in AoC are definitely longer than the ones in the original, too, and contain secrets and materials and stuff. Also don’t forget that in the WiiU Hyrule Warriors you had to knock down a giant boss three times before you could completely break their WPG which artificially padded out tons of missions and made some of them incredibly difficult to A rank. Hyrule Warriors was rough at launch.

What secrets and materials in the story missions are you talking about? Chests and Koroks? The Koroks are a mundane fetch quest to 100% the game and get the last costume piece. The treasure chests are full of forgettable junk.

In 2 years I'm not gonna fire up AoC and replay any of those challenges, because what's fun about them? Go on, tell us?

HW I've already played through 3 separate times on the 3 consoles it's come out on. The missions (despite their flaws) draw me back in because they're still fun to play. That's because each one has you doing a whole bunch of things to win the map and doing so (by gradually eradicating the enemy army) is just satisfying to see happen.

And as for the improved officer fights, for all of the time I spent waiting for a hit point gauge to show up on one of the original game's bosses, i'd still rather fight them than yet another one of the officer/boss fights in this. There's just far too many of them and it becomes a tedious slog when you see another HPG you need to deplete.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

They could do a new map, but then that would go against the heavy BOTW world they've gone all in on.

It also feels like they've gone to the effort to make this distinctly different to HW1 rather than just improving the odd thing here and there. It plays quite differently.

I don't thinl we'll see DLC anything like what HW1 had.

It'll probably be more story mode content or something given how cutscene heavy the game is.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

MatchaZed posted:

I just want more tactical based maps.

Yeah, they could throw in 100 new challenges but if it's more of the run from A to B to kill an enemy, I'll give it a miss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just got around to playing the first wave of DLC but is three anything I should know about it? Are there new material grinding spots, weapons to get, money grinding areas, etc.

I finished the main game 100% and got Link and a couple of characters up to level 100 but didn't max out weapons or anything (my highest level weapon is 37 I think). It's been a while since I played it though so I'm a little bit lost.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is one thing I hate about recent Warriors games having no voice acting (or leaving it in Japanese). I'm too busy beating the poo poo out of dudes to read text boxes most of the time and I miss a lot, it's why I really wish they'd just fully dub these games, it's much easier to hear someone talking while you're fighting.

There's many new weapons to get. Link and Zelda have two completely new weapons, the Guardian Flail and the Master Cycle, which you can get by completing requests from the Ancient Lab. Both weapons come in three different types, which all have the same base attack power, but different C1 moves. There are also new weapon skins for every story character, which you can get by doing the EX missions after completing the EX levels.

I'm not sure about new material grinding spots, the only one that comes to mind is a new EX sidequest where you're tsked with getting Monster Essence from outposts before time runs out, I assume it's just a way to get Moster Essence without having to trade items at the shop.

For getting good weapons, I haven't unlocked every level in wave 2 yet, but wave 1's DLC gave a new level that''s technically the best for weapon grinding called Survival of the Fittest, since it has the highest recommended level in the game (again, unless wave 2 changes this). There's a catch though: Survival of the Fittest is a really tough gauntlet with the task "Survive for ten minutes." It doesn't matter how many enemies you defeat, there will always be more, and stronger enemies spawn in at certain times, so it can be a very difficult level, as well as taking ten minutes to do no matter what. In that case, the second best level for weapon grinding (even though it's much lower level) is Unnatural Disaster, which has a fight against five minibosses and can be done in three or four minutes if you're level 100 with a good weapon.

I think the hurdle I always faced was rupees for the upgrades. Weapon drops seemed plentiful but the cash not so much.

I recall there was a desert level in the base game that had you killing the sand creature and hundreds of enemies for drops you could sell for cash, but wasn't sure if that was still the best place for it now.