Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I'm not sure how to start this, but I didn't see a thread for moments in movies that just make things ridiculous.

The Girl Next Door: Around an hour and fifteen minutes in the main character goes to a bank and finds out that the cashier gave $25,000 to someone not on the account. The account was a fundraiser holding to pay to get someone brought to the U.S. from Cambodia(not really the point). But the cashier starts talking about how she isn't going to lose her job over this and how it's his fault and trying to trick a high school senior into owning responsibility for (clearly) her mistake. The main character even tries to help her by not wanting to tell people while he tries to recover the money, and the cashier threatens him with jail. It is so badly her fault and the m.c. did not actually break the law.

So that's what just irritated me about that movie. Kill the thread if need be or point me to the correct one to rant about things like this if it is already up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The last ten or so minutes of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In The Box, Frank Langella's character says that the $1 million payment for pushing the button is "tax free." But whether it's a payment for pushing the button, a cash prize, or simply a gift, there's tax implications to that. You can't just declare something tax free like you're calling out no take backs.

Also, this thread is going to get closed pretty quick. You're looking for "PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments" in PYF.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He should've just said "cash".

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I just don't care for "if you're willing to commit tax fraud" as an implicit element of "tax free" and I wanted everyone to know. In general, the aliens using animated corpses to deliver murder-based moral conundrums to random yahoos don't really come across like they're acting in good faith.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Sir Kodiak posted:

In The Box, Frank Langella's character says that the $1 million payment for pushing the button is "tax free." But whether it's a payment for pushing the button, a cash prize, or simply a gift, there's tax implications to that. You can't just declare something tax free like you're calling out no take backs.

Also, this thread is going to get closed pretty quick. You're looking for "PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments" in PYF.

Hey, thanks for pointing me over there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love that part of the premise here - alien angel/demons who grant wishes - are just background information.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I just don't care for "if you're willing to commit tax fraud" as an implicit element of "tax free" and I wanted everyone to know. In general, the aliens using animated corpses to deliver murder-based moral conundrums to random yahoos don't really come across like they're acting in good faith.

I just presumed that it would be worked out somehow so that they get the money tax free. With all the other poo poo they were able to pull off in that movie, the idea that they might have a means of circumventing the IRS didn't really seem over the top to me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The aliens in Life of Brian (1979):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSY4fEEg4j0

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Pancakes. Followed by a karate demonstration.

Thanks, Eli Roth.

Gavok posted:

That random Holocaust shout-out in Monster Squad. I get what they were going for, but it's such a strange little moment that is never brought up ever again.

That’s a good one.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 23, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That random Holocaust shout-out in Monster Squad. I get what they were going for, but it's such a strange little moment that is never brought up ever again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zogo posted:

The aliens in Life of Brian (1979):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSY4fEEg4j0

Oh god that was awesome. And I loved Pythons' reason for it. "How do we get Brian away?" "Aliens?" "Right."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never understood the random sped-up chipmunk dialogue scene in Carrie, an otherwise 100% played straight horror film. Why does this exist? Who thought it added anything to the movie?

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
The part in Barton Fink where it goes from quirky Hollywood comedy to :black101:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

exquisite tea posted:

I never understood the random sped-up chipmunk dialogue scene in Carrie, an otherwise 100% played straight horror film. Why does this exist? Who thought it added anything to the movie?

don't forget that silly music that plays.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That scene in Wild Wild West where Will Smith is fighting the steam powered cyborg guy and he can't beat him and then the cyborg just kind of... dies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this! posted:

That scene in Wild Wild West where Will Smith is fighting the steam powered cyborg guy and he can't beat him and then the cyborg just kind of... dies?

Doesn't he electrocute the guy?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, he keeps hitting his head and then the robot man short circuits.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

muscles like this! posted:

People always forget about the third-act Frankenstein in that flick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

No, he keeps hitting his head and then the robot man short circuits.

Oh yeah that's right. For some reason, I thought there was like, live current involved.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nesamdoom posted:

The Girl Next Door: Around an hour and fifteen minutes in the main character goes to a bank and finds out that the cashier gave $25,000 to someone not on the account. The account was a fundraiser holding to pay to get someone brought to the U.S. from Cambodia(not really the point). But the cashier starts talking about how she isn't going to lose her job over this and how it's his fault and trying to trick a high school senior into owning responsibility for (clearly) her mistake. The main character even tries to help her by not wanting to tell people while he tries to recover the money, and the cashier threatens him with jail. It is so badly her fault and the m.c. did not actually break the law.

Yeah that made absolutely no sense even at the time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The original Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie movie, but the entire sequence with the biker gang throwing pies into the zombie faces is so out of place and pretty much sucks all the tension out of the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

The original Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie movie, but the entire sequence with the biker gang throwing pies into the zombie faces is so out of place and pretty much sucks all the tension out of the movie.

That's because it's as much a comedy as a horror film. (Also a drama. Also an action flick. It is many things.)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It's hard to pick just one scene in The Visitor, but here's a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6wBJt7Azk

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's because it's as much a comedy as a horror film. (Also a drama. Also an action flick. It is many things.)

Is there really anything before or after that scene that was meant to be funny though?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Vakal posted:

Is there really anything before or after that scene that was meant to be funny though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVry0sp0PkE

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also Roger, Fran, Peter, and Stephen living it up in the mall at first.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vakal posted:

The entire film.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

For me it was when Flyboy went apeshit and decided to go nuts on the bikers instead of just listening to Peter.

Just cut your losses buddy!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Vakal posted:

Hundu's right. One of my favorite bits is the "We got this man! We got this by the rear end!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Probably the most WTF?! moment in movie history, Transformers: Age of Extinction grinding to halt to explain Romeo and Juliet laws

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Davros1 posted:

Probably the most WTF?! moment in movie history, Transformers: Age of Extinction grinding to halt to explain Romeo and Juliet laws

They had to stop for a moment to settle an issue they created just to stop and settle.

Vakal posted:

I wonder if this was their regular method of clearing out zombies. The guy that died checking his blood pressure didn't seem to have much experience.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the gang's big secret to survival is just there are so many of them that they can lose a few to zombies every stop and still run away.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Same movie, similar WTF:

Optimus fighting the Dinobots: "I'M GIVING YOU YOUR FREEDOM! :911:"
Optimus after defeating the Dinobots: "JOIN ME OR DIE. :black101:"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Almost Blue posted:

Hundu's right. One of my favorite bits is the "We got this man! We got this by the rear end!"

Compared to Night, Dawn is funny even if most of the jokes are very grotesque - storing bodies in the meat locker, for example. You also have to consider Night and Dawn from the perspective of Land and Day, meaning the films' sympathy with the zombies starts right from the denoument of Night. Two of the films heroes begin the film participating in a thinly veiled pogrom.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Danny Boyle directed this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMHINpgFO3I

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4JSTXuP9E

arrhhhhhhhhhh*BOINK*

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The end of Se7en

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The twist in Tully, which changes the theme of the movie from “friendship can change your life” to “your life is better when you’re crazy.” People in my theater audibly sighed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

The twist in Tully, which changes the theme of the movie from “friendship can change your life” to “your life is better when you’re crazy.” People in my theater audibly sighed.

Actually it's more about drawing on, while also recognizing your difference from, who you once were before major life changes (like marriage and children.) I never got that she was literally insane or talking to no one, just having these dialogues in her head.