Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

It's hard to pick just one scene in The Visitor, but here's a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6wBJt7Azk

I know what you mean, hard to choose from this; the weird Close Encounter medical rape that ends with two black tow-truck drivers driving into the scene and doing some weird Steppen Fetchit bit; the Katie and John Huston psychic battle; and the flock of doves assault on Katie, culminating in Lance Henriksen getting shivved by a flying metal bird, that whole film is just WTF Moments.

Also, the young girl who plays Katie is like the synchronicity of bad acting and being perfect for the part. The fact that she plays everything aloof just adds to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ghost blowjob

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Blowie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

David Blowie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

Both Reloaded and Revolutions are the Wachowskis getting high off their own farts after philosophy professors fell in love with The Matrix. They're packed full of artificial "philosophy" and a whole bunch of style over about an ounce of substance.

Style is substance big homie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

Bill Murray getting eaten by a mutant rat in City of Ember

I see i'm not the only one who saw that

Great art design in that movie though

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Not exactly a WTF moment as much as a WTF movie, but here's an anime about penguins in Vietnam:

https://twitter.com/MinModulation/status/1001168210027216896

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
God Bless America had a parody of William Hung as the inciting incident for the main character going on a killing spree. It came out in 2011. That's like if somebody put out a movie today with a Rebecca Black parody as the symbol of how deranged modern culture is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZZathN6pg

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The opening to the original Tomb Raider movie where Angelina Jolie fights against a giant killer robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9f-wgBXJ2E

When I first saw this I thought for sure it was going to be revealed to be a VR simulation as a nod to the video game series, but no, her nerdy assistant created it just for her to practice with. This wouldn't be a problem if it was shown that in the movie's world that this level of technology existed elsewhere.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Vakal posted:

The opening to the original Tomb Raider movie where Angelina Jolie fights against a giant killer robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9f-wgBXJ2E

When I first saw this I thought for sure it was going to be revealed to be a VR simulation as a nod to the video game series, but no, her nerdy assistant created it just for her to practice with. This wouldn't be a problem if it was shown that in the movie's world that this level of technology existed elsewhere.

It's a super weird Chekov's Gun thing in that it doesn't really factor into the rest of the movie either. There's a scene later on where some baddies break into her house, and unless i'm remembering it incorrectly, the robot isn't even used as a defense measure in the scene or anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The number one thing to remember about the first Tomb Raider movie is that it went into production immediately after the Matrix was released, and every artistic decision was the result of Paramount execs asking themselves "how we make more like Matrix?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Gringo, the new one with David Oyelowo, is a pretty bad movie. But, in the lead up to the climax, Charlize Theron's 'sleeping her way to the top' character is in a bar with some minor character, and talks him into getting his dick out. It's a strange scene in and of itself, but given its placement, it's even fuckin' weirder.

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010
The Counselor is made of this poo poo - there's a scene where Cameron Diaz LITERALLY fucks a car, and another where an adult character is killed and we immediately cut to his mother, hundreds of miles away, in her prison cell and she suddenly starts sobbing and weeping

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DividedFrame posted:

The Counselor is made of this poo poo - there's a scene where Cameron Diaz LITERALLY fucks a car, and another where an adult character is killed and we immediately cut to his mother, hundreds of miles away, in her prison cell and she suddenly starts sobbing and weeping

Yeah, the Counselor is a deliberately weird mix of metaphorical and literal plot elements though.

gently caress it's good.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I made the CD thread for that movie when it came out. IIRC I called it "the best movie ever... on paper" because the sheer amount of talent behind it was unbelievable, but then I watched it and it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Fun fact, Cameron Diaz originally spoke with a Barbadan accent but they dubbed it over because it was too distracting.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
My favorite wtf moment is the fact half of japan is a desolate wasteland in the Grudge/Ju-On from two ghosts murdering those that enter the original haunted house and then haunting the houses of those that fled to their homes. Sucks for random Joe to die in apartment 401 just because the neighbor brought a ghost back home.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, the Counselor is a deliberately weird mix of metaphorical and literal plot elements though.

gently caress it's good.

As a Cormac McCarthy fan I was initially disappointed with The Counselor. However, lately I've been thinking about going back and giving it another shot.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SirDrone posted:

My favorite wtf moment is the fact half of japan is a desolate wasteland in the Grudge/Ju-On from two ghosts murdering those that enter the original haunted house and then haunting the houses of those that fled to their homes. Sucks for random Joe to die in apartment 401 just because the neighbor brought a ghost back home.
That's nothing compared to the Ringu sequels where Sadako becomes an Internet meme and destroys the world because she's the embodiment of the smallpox virus.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

That's nothing compared to the Ringu sequels where Sadako becomes an Internet meme and destroys the world because she's the embodiment of the smallpox virus.

This sounds like Snow Crash.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

The opening scene to Gozu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMgPK2nXng0

Also the rest of the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GeekyManatee posted:

The opening scene to Gozu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMgPK2nXng0

Also the rest of the movie.

Gozu is fuckin' dope. Not as good or weird as Izo, but dope.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
mother! Feels like an acid trip from the start but it takes a real wtf turn in the 3rd act. If you were following the allegory it was foreshadowed but didn’t show how far it would go.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Gavok posted:

The one WTF moment that always makes me laugh is the final ten minutes of Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare.

For those who haven't seen it, the movie is basically an Evil Dead ripoff but with a rock band, their manager and their romantic interests hanging out in a haunted farm house. They're gradually picked off and impersonated by ghouls with the unique enough setup that nobody really realizes that something's amiss. When people go missing, others figure they went and drove into town or whatever. Nobody panics and everyone has their guard down.

In the end, we're down to the lead singer (played by Jon Mikl Thor) and his girlfriend. His girlfriend is killed and a demon takes her form. Thor is chilling out, trying to write music, when his girlfriend appears and tells him that he's doomed. Thor shrugs off her warnings and demon voice like it's no big deal and assures her that their friends are all perfectly fine. Then she transforms into the Devil, who is just this awful, giant puppet. Thor still acts kind of nonplussed about the whole ordeal, much to Satan's chagrin. Then he reveals the truth: none of those killed characters were real. They were really illusions created by Thor, who is in fact the angel Triton. This was all a plan to draw Satan out into the open.

Triton then transforms and is wearing only a black cape and a spiked, metal thong. He and the Devil puppet proceed to have the absolute most embarrassing fight you've ever seen with Triton winning.

There is absolutely no foreshadowing that any of this is going to happen. It just does and God bless it.

This really is one of the greatest endings of all-time. I can't remember anything else that happens in the film, but goddamn, you better believe I remember this ending.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wild Beasts (1984). Just... the entire goddamn movie. It's about zoo animals on PCP terrorizing a German city and a guy who looks like Tom Selleck's sex offender brother having to stop them. It also has inexplicable child nudity and lots and lots of unsimulated animal cruelty.

It's one of the absolute most loving buckwild things I have ever seen, and even though it's a thoroughly unpleasant movie I've gotta recommend it because it's seriously a "see it to believe it" case.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

What kills me about wild beasts is that it's available unedited for streaming on prime and a recent Blu Ray transfer was also released but I don't see how a movie which shows obviously sexualized child nudity can even be distributed at all in the USA

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I honestly have some questions there too. I have a feeling that it's a similar situation to the 60s Romeo and Juliet movie, where it being in the context of a narrative film with at least intended artistic merit makes it legal. The problem is that Wild Beasts is a pile of poo poo and would almost certainly not hold up in court on these grounds.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

G-III posted:

What kills me about wild beasts is that it's available unedited for streaming on prime and a recent Blu Ray transfer was also released but I don't see how a movie which shows obviously sexualized child nudity can even be distributed at all in the USA

I was curious, so I looked it up. US law forbids the depiction of sexually explicit conduct involving minors, giving the following definition:

18 U.S. Code § 2256 posted:

(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), “sexually explicit conduct” means actual or simulated—
(i) sexual intercourse, including genital-genital, oral-genital, anal-genital, or oral-anal, whether between persons of the same or opposite sex;
(ii) bestiality;
(iii) masturbation;
(iv) sadistic or masochistic abuse; or
(v) lascivious exhibition of the genitals or pubic area of any person;

I haven't seen Wild Beasts, but I'm assuming it doesn't violate any of these tenets if it can be legally streamed and bought.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the other one where there were a bunch of animals on the set and one of the actors was nearly scalped by an eagle or something?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the other one where there were a bunch of animals on the set and one of the actors was nearly scalped by an eagle or something?

Dunno bout an eagle but a bunch of the cast and crew of Roar (1981) were mauled by lions during production including Melanie Griffith, and Tippi Hendren was thrown off an elephant and broke her leg

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was curious, so I looked it up. US law forbids the depiction of sexually explicit conduct involving minors, giving the following definition:

I haven't seen Wild Beasts, but I'm assuming it doesn't violate any of these tenets if it can be legally streamed and bought.
In my memory it crosses the line on article v but I can't remember it clearly... at the same time I don't want to go back and check either.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dunno bout an eagle but a bunch of the cast and crew of Roar (1981) were mauled by lions during production including Melanie Griffith, and Tippi Hendren was thrown off an elephant and broke her leg

Roar is a terrifying movie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I've only seen the trailer for Roar and all I can say is it's basically an OSHA inspectors loving nightmare. It's terrifying but not in a way you'd want.

exquisite tea posted:

The number one thing to remember about the first Tomb Raider movie is that it went into production immediately after the Matrix was released, and every artistic decision was the result of Paramount execs asking themselves "how we make more like Matrix?"

This was more something ALL of Hollywood was saying before the Matrix sequels came out and finally killed it.

How many loving bullet time parodies did we see in comedy films from 1999-2003? The one Shrek did dated it more than Smash Mouth did.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of. I remembered the poster with Tippi Hedren with blood running down her face, but couldn't recall the title.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

The last 20 minutes of From Dusk Until Dawn. I was fortunate enough to see it for the first time cold with a roommate, without looking at box art (which spoils the end) or the synopsis (which spoils the end). If you ever get a chance to introduce someone to this flick don't tell them anything don't give them a chance to ruin it for themselves. It starts as a stylized crime movie then goes completely poo poo bonkers when they reach the bar. I still remember how much I was flipping out when it was revealed.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I once put ROAR on at a party where everyone was on acid and man oh man, we screamed like babies nonstop. That movie is nerve-wracking in any context.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
In Tomorrowland there's an entire subplot about George Clooney's character having a relationship with a robot girl with the body of a child. Admittedly the joke is that he built her when he was himself a child and he's aged while she stayed the same but it's still very, uh, anime.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Erotic Wakes posted:

In Tomorrowland there's an entire subplot about George Clooney's character having a relationship with a robot girl with the body of a child. Admittedly the joke is that he built her when he was himself a child and he's aged while she stayed the same but it's still very, uh, anime.

I distinctly recall that this went totally uncommented on and it was weird as hell.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That also happens in Let the Right One In, but with a vampire instead of robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But there it's meant to be creepy.