Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Xealot posted:

Was it? FedEx doesn't build planes, so that part seems fine. Really, the lesson seems to be, "FedEx: our employees care so much about your package that they'll protect it unscathed on a desert island for 5 years, as a symbolic tether to hope, that they personally hand-deliver once rescued."

What was in that package? Some salsa right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

What was in that package? Some salsa right?

A solar powered GPS sat phone.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit:nvm, wrong thread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finished my Superman 1 and 2 double feature weekend.

Wtf happened to the end of Superman 2?

Suddenly everyone can teleport and project holograms? The cellophane shrinky dink "S" thing? The villains all fell into a bottomless cavern and died I guess? People bitch about MoS and Clark killing Zod but here he wasted three motherfuckers and no one said poo poo. Why did Superman just leave Lex there to gently caress around with his crystals and poo poo?

And that goofy rear end hypno kiss. They sort of wrote themselves into a corner but I think it would have been better to just leave Lois knowing, which could have set up a cool dynamic for future films.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

And that goofy rear end hypno kiss. They sort of wrote themselves into a corner but I think it would have been better to just leave Lois knowing, which could have set up a cool dynamic for future films.

and then they do the exact same thing in Superman IV

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BiggerBoat posted:

Suddenly everyone can teleport and project holograms? The cellophane shrinky dink "S" thing? The villains all fell into a bottomless cavern and died I guess? People bitch about MoS and Clark killing Zod but here he wasted three motherfuckers and no one said poo poo. Why did Superman just leave Lex there to gently caress around with his crystals and poo poo?

The development history of Superman 2 was troubled, to say the least. Richard Donner was replaced halfway through production and some adjacent scenes were shot as much as two years apart. Gene Hackman refused to return once Donner was let go and had to be replaced with a body double in reshoots. There are continuity errors all over the place besides the hacked together ending if you pay close enough attention.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a deleted scene where the depowered Kryptonians are arrested and removed from the Fortress. Who knew the North Pole had cops? (unless those reindeer games get really out of hand over the 364 days between X-Mas'.)

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
There's a lot of weird goofy stuff in Superman 2, but honestly I prefer the theatrical cut over the re-edit supervised by Donner. There's definitely some tonal whiplash between the two directors but Lester's/the Salkinds' cut works better than Donner's Frankenstein of his scenes, Lester's scenes, screentests, footage shot in 2005, digitally re-done effects, and re-used effects from the first movie.

For those that haven't seen it, in Donner's cut the ending is after everything gets wrapped up in the fortress, they re-used Superman spinning the earth backwards from the first movie and then he goes off to beat up a trucker, despite them now never having encountered one another before.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gavok posted:

One thing that's always seemed weird to me about the first Ant-Man is the use of Baskin Robbins in the beginning. Product placement is one thing, but I can't imagine why the company signed off on it considering it does not do them any favors. Scott's treatment makes the company seem like a bunch of assholes with zero compassion.

It's an interesting contrast to the first Iron Man movie, where the US Air Force had them rewrite and refilm a big chunk of the second act because they didn't want to be known as the guys responsible for shooting Iron Man out of the sky and giving him physical and emotional damage.

But Baskin Robbins is all, "A zero-tolerance policy against ex-cons, even if we agree with their actions? AND we get to drive them back into a life of crime despite their reluctance? Score!"

Yeah but they let him take a smoothie on his way out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Davros1 posted:

There's a deleted scene where the depowered Kryptonians are arrested and removed from the Fortress. Who knew the North Pole had cops? (unless those reindeer games get really out of hand over the 364 days between X-Mas'.)

Nobody saw that deleted scene for 20 years and until then there wasn't a hint that Zod & co. were anything other than 100% dead. Nobody cared that Lois and Superman each killed someone (in Superman's case, torturing him by breaking all the bones in his hand before doing it).

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Almost Blue posted:

For those that haven't seen it, in Donner's cut the ending is after everything gets wrapped up in the fortress, they re-used Superman spinning the earth backwards from the first movie and then he goes off to beat up a trucker, despite them now never having encountered one another before.

Lol this sounds amazing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Donner cut of Superman 2 is greatly hindered by the fact that Superman 1 was clearly cut together differently than it would have been if Donner had been retained. The time travel thing was supposed to happen at the end of two, which was going to be very much the second part of one two part movie.

To make the Donner cut make sense, there needed to be recut of 1 as well.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Gavok posted:

The existence of tween cigarette girls in that movie's universe was also pretty out there.

This just occurred to me... Betty Boop had a famous cameo playing a cigarette girl in Who Framed Roger Rabbit the previous year. I feel like this may have been inspired by/referencing that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Superman 2's awful and incomprehensible ending gets a pass because the amazing fight before that and the amazing COCA-COLA product placement is so iconic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Superman 2's awful and incomprehensible ending gets a pass because the amazing fight before that and the amazing COCA-COLA product placement is so iconic.

Agreed. Both films are pretty good, just dragged down by somer really stupid and unneeded things. One thing I noticed was that not only does Supes murder 3 people but the product placement was just as ubiquitous as Snyder's film; two things that people really ragged on Man of Steel for were the killing and the ads.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I watched Kenneth Branagh's version of Hamlet this past weekend for the first time in 20 years or so, and I had forgotten just how jarringly overdone and out of place the finale seems in comparison to the rest.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How do you mean?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The scene where Hamlet turns into a dragon and Laertes unto a hydra is a bit too over the top. Even if it is faithful to the source material.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

FreudianSlippers posted:

The scene where Hamlet turns into a dragon and Laertes unto a hydra is a bit too over the top. Even if it is faithful to the source material.

It's what Shakespeare originally envisioned but never had the budget to realize.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hamlet 2 fixes the plot holes and inconsistencies with time travel.

Raped in the face.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the immortal words of the bard, "too bad you... will DIE!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

davidspackage posted:

In the immortal words of the bard, "too bad you... will DIE!"

I HAVE NO USE FOR EXCUSES

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mortal Kombat Annihilation is the exactly the kind of movie I'd want to see performed entirely in drag.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. Both films are pretty good, just dragged down by somer really stupid and unneeded things. One thing I noticed was that not only does Supes murder 3 people but the product placement was just as ubiquitous as Snyder's film; two things that people really ragged on Man of Steel for were the killing and the ads.

To be fair Norn (or w/e the big guy's name is) kills himself.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Mortal Kombat Annihilation is the exactly the kind of movie I'd want to see performed entirely in drag.

Might help with retention. I have supposedly seen this movie three times and I don't remember anything about it aside from being disappointed in it's recasting Christopher Lambert.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

GORDON posted:

Hamlet 2 fixes the plot holes and inconsistencies with time travel.

Raped in the face.
"To be... or not to be."

[Lights cigar; everything explodes]

"Not to be."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Payndz posted:

"To be... or not to be."

[Lights cigar; everything explodes]

"Not to be."

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and Hamlet is taking out the trash!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I just learned this morning about roles that Burt Reynolds passed up on and holy poo poo. How different would pop culture be – indeed the world – if we had gotten ANY of the following:

Han Solo (!)
Micheal Corleone
James Bond
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (McMurphy)
Die Hard (McClane)

Half off these sound like SNL skits

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the James Bond offer came after either of Connery's departures or after Lazenby quit; at this time it was also offered to Clint Eastwood and Adam West and they both declined because they felt Bond should be played by a British actor.

Dick Van Dyke was reportedly considered at an earlier stage but was disqualified because his British accent was deemed unconvincing. :v:

The closest an American actor has come is James Brolin, who shot test footage for either For Your Eyes Only or Octopussy (as did Sam Neill) which you can find on YouTube.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

The closest an American actor has come is James Brolin, who shot test footage for either For Your Eyes Only or Octopussy (as did Sam Neill) which you can find on YouTube.

Here I found it for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOqz6CPxLY

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

I just learned this morning about roles that Burt Reynolds passed up on and holy poo poo. How different would pop culture be – indeed the world – if we had gotten ANY of the following:

Han Solo (!)
Micheal Corleone
James Bond
Die Hard (McClane)

This reminds me, I was watching Mission Impossible 1 the other day and remember the next one caused the main villain in that movie to drop out of the part of Wolverine. I wonder how things would had been if he still got the role instead of Hugh Jackman who was perfect for the role.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Han Solo (!)
Micheal Corleone
James Bond
Die Hard (McClane)

Reynolds also could've been in Terms of Endearment. The movie was based on a book but the screenwriter created a new character specifically for Reynolds to play, but he turned it down to do another movie. The role went to Jack Nicholson, who won an Oscar for it. And the movie Reynolds did instead? Stroker Ace.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

The scene in Legendary Weapons of China where a guy rips his own dick off with sufficient force to send him back flipping through the air is my WTF moment of the day.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rirse posted:

I wonder how things would had been if he still got the role instead of Hugh Jackman who was perfect for the role.

At the very least you'd probably know Dougray Scott's name instead of having him fade away into the aether.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nemesis_hub posted:

The scene in Legendary Weapons of China where a guy rips his own dick off with sufficient force to send him back flipping through the air is my WTF moment of the day.

Shaw Bros movies tend to have a weird amount of hilarious cock trauma. The guy who gets stabbed in the taint in 5 Element Ninjas and just keeps fighting even with his colon hanging out the wound is my hero.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

At the very least you'd probably know Dougray Scott's name instead of having him fade away into the aether.

They also had chosen Glen Danzig at one point, I think? Jackman was their 3rd choice, if so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

No, Danzig was just stupid fancasting. Dougray Scott was Singer's first choice, and then he personally suggested Huge Act-man when the MI2 reshoots ran long.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The ending to Gerald's Game is one of the stupidest, most atonal things I've ever seen.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

JebanyPedal posted:

The ending to Gerald's Game is one of the stupidest, most atonal things I've ever seen.

Never seen this, but did they make the mistake of making the ending of a Stephen King movie faithful to the ending of the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zoe posted:

Never seen this, but did they make the mistake of making the ending of a Stephen King movie faithful to the ending of the book?

Yes, way too faithful. Comes out of nowhere and tries to tie up the themes in the most unsubtle way possible.

What makes it even worse is that it commits two great cinema sins, a character narrating an extremely poorly written letter to the audience explaining the plot of the movie, and a character awkwardly busting into a courtroom and interrupting the proceedings without security forcibly removing them or the judge shutting down their outburst.

It's especially bad because the rest of the film is actually much better than I expected.