Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CowboyKid posted:

mother! Feels like an acid trip from the start but it takes a real wtf turn in the 3rd act. If you were following the allegory it was foreshadowed but didn’t show how far it would go.
Oh god yes.
I'm basically a sucker for Aronofsky's films, with The Fountain being one of my faves, but fuuuuuuuuucking poo poo I should not have watched that a week before the birth of my second son.

One of the rare times a film elicits such a guttural response from me. Almost puked.

Not quite in the spirit of the thread but in Cloud Atlas when the biogynoid midfuture scenes happen and all the actors have digital yellowface. . . well it's sure something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I enjoyed Gerald's game (the book and the film) but, yeah, the ending was forced and didn't really work as a twist. It actually worked better in the book.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

JebanyPedal posted:

The ending to Gerald's Game is one of the stupidest, most atonal things I've ever seen.

Gerald’s Game is frustrating because it is so close to being a good movie. Everything after the car crash is just so superfluous and ham-fisted that it reads as self-parody.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Thread bump!

Gavok posted:

That random Holocaust shout-out in Monster Squad. I get what they were going for, but it's such a strange little moment that is never brought up ever again.

Recently rewatched this. I think what throws this shot off is that it's accompanied by this kind of ominous-sounding music cue. I think if they had done something else with the music (personally, I think just leaving it silent would've worked best), the moment could have come across the way I think it was meant to: subtle-ish character building that makes the "scary German guy" immediately sympathetic (and puts to bed any possible suspicion the audience might have that the character might make some kind of heel-turn later on).

I like that it's never brought up again.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I could have sworn that someone had mentioned the end credits to Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf, in which the same clip of the movie's werewolf queen ripping off her top to expose her breasts is played over and over again to the beat of the music, but doing a quick browse of the thread I don't see any.

Well then, the end credits to Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf.

The movie also has plenty more WTF from where that came from, including a threesome scene between three half-transformed werewolves.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

QuoProQuid posted:

Gerald’s Game is frustrating because it is so close to being a good movie. Everything after the car crash is just so superfluous and ham-fisted that it reads as self-parody.

I enjoyed the book as well as the movie but I know I'm in the minority. The ending didn't bother me as much as a lot of King's work either but it wasn't great for sure. Seriously, I know it's a trope by now but what the hell is it exactly with King and writing loving endings? His earlier books never really suffered from this as I recall. I don't even remember where it went off the rails to be honest.

I swear to god, after reading "On Writing" and having him explain how he's never sure where the story will take him so he just kind of follows his whims and that's part of the fun for him, I think the problem can largely be blamed on his tendency to deliberately eschew outlines and at least a basic sense of a plan or a conclusion.

From what I've read about crafting stories, a lot of really great ones actually start with the ending first and fill everything else in as a way to arrive at it. Basically starting with "the point" and filling in the steps needed to get there, sort of like a chef crafting a recipe. The chef KNOWS what he intends to make when he starts and measures and prepares the ingredients to get there meticulously and step by step. He or she might wing it a little but rarely do they just raid a pantry and go full "Chopped" with it.

It's really loving frustrating to see him blow it so often because he's so god damned good at setting poo poo up and sucking you in but, usually by the middle of the third act, you can almost FEEL him writing himself into that corner once again and beginning to flail for a way out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Reportedly what happened with Howling II was, Sybil Danning agreed to do only one nude scene. (Not that she’s ever been shy but presumably she knows what she’s worth.) So they shoot the one shot and use it a bunch of times.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That seems super gross and exploitative.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Sorry to Bother You goddamned work horses

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

davidspackage posted:

Seems that way because it is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Yeah she was not happy about it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am sure it's been mentioned before and it certainly is discussed ad nauseum in the Star Wars thread, but the fact that The Last Jedi's entire story takes place in a day just takes me completely out of it. Among other things.

Tron: Legacy

In Tron Legacy when Clu just shows up at the portal despite being left behind for a long while. How did he catch up on his light flyer without being noticed when you literally glow in the loving dark in a world of perpetual darkness?

Also: does an entire battleship of computer programs just manifest themselves in the real world when entering the portal? Is the world just going to let that happen? Wouldn't taking over computers be way more effective in world domination when you literally are a computer? Why leave Allan (Tron IRL) in the dark about literally everything when he seems to know way more than he should and doesn't seem to help, like an rear end in a top hat mentor, anyway?

At the end it seems alluded to that Flynn lives (thus the Flynn lives viral campaign) in that flash drive thing with a heartbeat on Sam's neck. Why not just go back into the computer, resurrect him, then bring him back out? Or whatever.

I love Tron Legacy for no reason other than visuals and I guess I am a sucker for the father/son story but drat.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 13, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
By that point in Tron Legacy, I was wondering how the hell that enormous flying battleship thing was physically meant to come out of the laser. In sections that the soldiers have to bolt together? Was it going to Kool-Aid Man through the lab walls?

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

In the movie Maidstone when Actor Rip Torn tries to murder Director Norman Mailer with a claw hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AzmhorISf4

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Payndz posted:

By that point in Tron Legacy, I was wondering how the hell that enormous flying battleship thing was physically meant to come out of the laser. In sections that the soldiers have to bolt together? Was it going to Kool-Aid Man through the lab walls?

I was more worried about Flynn having to explain making GBS threads, death, aging, to Quorra.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

dialhforhero posted:

I am sure it's been mentioned before and it certainly is discussed ad nauseum in the Star Wars thread, but the fact that The Last Jedi's entire story takes place in a day just takes me completely out of it. Among other things.

Tron: Legacy

In Tron Legacy when Clu just shows up at the portal despite being left behind for a long while. How did he catch up on his light flyer without being noticed when you literally glow in the loving dark in a world of perpetual darkness?

Warp Zone, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

frankee posted:

In the movie Maidstone when Actor Rip Torn tries to murder Director Norman Mailer with a claw hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AzmhorISf4

Wikipedia posted:

The fight was later used as evidence in his case against Denny Hopper, who claimed Rip attacked him with a knife after being replaced by Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider (1969). Rip won his case on the claim that "he could not have possibly killed Hopper as he was, at the time, on the set of Maidstone trying to kill Norman Mailer."