Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's this subplot/gag in The Judge in which Robert Downey Jr. is mortified at the idea that a woman he had drunkenly made out with at a bar may possibly have been a daughter he never knew he had. Near the end of the movie he learns the woman was not actually his daughter, but in fact his niece. The movie quickly moves on to other matters and they don't really bring it up again if I recall, but you're left with the impression that we can all breathe a sigh of relief because he didn't make out with his daughter, it was just his niece, which is perfectly a-okay and normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why does Superman look like Dracula

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this! posted:

The thing I found super weird about that movie was how it takes about 30 minutes to actually start the story. For some reason the movie opens with a long scene of a character basically going through the entire "babysitter and stranger in the houes" scenario.

It's pretty evident that When a Stranger Calls was made in the first place because someone felt that the "The call is coming from inside the house!" urban legend was just too good to not be committed to film and the rest of the movie was perfunctory.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The recent Poltergeist flick has one of the more odd and conspicuous forms of product placement I've seen: when the father mentions he's been laid off from his job, he says explicitly that he was working for the John Deere company and there's a dialog exchange about how it's too bad because it's such a great company and they make excellent products you can depend on for years. It really sticks out because it almost comes off as exposition - most movies wouldn't even bother to go into detail about where the character works unless it was going to pay off or otherwise be significant in some way, but nope, it's really just there to talk about how Poltergeist was brought to you in part by John DeereTM: Nothing Runs Like a Deere.

I want to say there were multiple instances of this happening in the movie, which might not actually be true now that I think of it, but it definitely says something about how noticeable it was that it felt like it happened multiple times.

I understand they probably wanted to compensate for having their sponsor lay off one of their main characters and set the events of this horror flick into motion, but maybe they could've just had a shot of someone mowing their lawn with one of John Deere's fine products? Or hell, get creative with it and have them uproot that evil possessed tree with a John Deere tractor or something.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 16, 2018

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Poltergeist post reminded me of another thing. You Don't Mess With the Zohan is pretty much an entire WTF movie, but to zero in on one really kind of odd reoccurring aspect of the movie is the presence of Mariah Carey for no discernable reason.

Now I know the Random Celebrity Cameo has a long tradition in comedy movies, but it's not even just that she makes an appearance (or multiple appearances, really): Sandler sports a Mariah Carey t-shirt in a few scenes (and the movie's poster), multiple instances of Mariah Carey songs playing in the background (as far as I know, there was no commercially available soundtrack for the movie so I don't think they were peddling that), and though Zohan does tell Mariah "I love your album", there's no indication that he's even a big Mariah Carey fan or that his liking her music/act is supposed to inform his character at all.

It's when Mariah Carey randomly tells someone to "Buy my album!" that it dawned on me that Mariah Carey is in this movie as product placement. I don't know if Carey or her record label literally paid for her to appear there or not but it's evident that the reason there is so much arbitrary Mariah Carey stuff in the movie is that she had a new album out at the time and she wanted to plug it.

(It was E=MC2, by the way)

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m imagining a worst case scenario of the Evil Dear remake where the chainsaw remains inexplicably clean and the Stihl logo is faced out the entire time

I know it’s a Homelite, don’t @ me

Evil Deere, maybe?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

The shot of Marv as a skeleton in Home Alone 2 terrified me as a kid and it's still unnerving.

Haha I can understand this but I gotta say that skeleton bit made me laugh harder than probably anything else in my entire life. I was like, 7, but still.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wandle Cax posted:

Sadly? what tf you have against Mariah

People who haven't seen You Don't Mess With the Zohan just don't understand the genius of Mariah Carey. Do you know she has 18 #1 singles? Seriously, 18. *sighs and shakes head slowly while putting on headphones blasting Mariah Carey tunes*

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In the 1989 movie The Wizard, a trio of runaway kids is about to get caught by a guy trying to return them to their parents, the girl in the group prevents this by screaming in a public place and hollering "he touched my breast!" The innocent man is kicked off the property by security.

Later, this same man is stopped in traffic by a group of truckers, friends of the young female character. The truckers approach him menacingly, one of them says, "So, you touched her breast, eh?" And punches the innocent man in the face.

This is all supposed to be hilarious and fun!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'll be honest, the last time I saw The Wizard was probably more than 15 years ago.

Basically the entire plot of the movie feels like it was written by kids doing their damndest to make a serious movie about themselves and their wish fulfillment.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

It's so bad.

I, too, love my Power Glove.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Thread bump!

Gavok posted:

That random Holocaust shout-out in Monster Squad. I get what they were going for, but it's such a strange little moment that is never brought up ever again.

Recently rewatched this. I think what throws this shot off is that it's accompanied by this kind of ominous-sounding music cue. I think if they had done something else with the music (personally, I think just leaving it silent would've worked best), the moment could have come across the way I think it was meant to: subtle-ish character building that makes the "scary German guy" immediately sympathetic (and puts to bed any possible suspicion the audience might have that the character might make some kind of heel-turn later on).

I like that it's never brought up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I could have sworn that someone had mentioned the end credits to Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf, in which the same clip of the movie's werewolf queen ripping off her top to expose her breasts is played over and over again to the beat of the music, but doing a quick browse of the thread I don't see any.

Well then, the end credits to Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf.

The movie also has plenty more WTF from where that came from, including a threesome scene between three half-transformed werewolves.