Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Keith Atherton posted:

The final scene in Birdy

Wow. Definitely this. I had forgotten all about that.

First thing I thought of was Superman 2 and the big cellophane "S" thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Martman posted:

I'm saying, the contents of that jar do not have to actually be pee for his statement to work perfectly well. Within the context, it is a joke made by Lex. He's making a "silly" creepy joke while also executing a plan to murder hundreds of people, it gives great definition to his character.

Except they lingered on the jar for almost a full minute. I got the "joke" but, like most things in that movie that I "got", it didn't work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

moths posted:

I just watched The Girl on the Train, which was basically one long WTF moment.

"Gummo" fits this description too. In a WTF movie filled with WTF moments, the one with the kid wearing big pink rabbit ears getting pretend shot in a junkyard still stands out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFN6Lu2olRU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

Oh man, you could just basically rename this entire thread “Gummo Moments In Movies,” and still convey the intent of what it’s supposed to be.

Totally. Gummo is insane, brutal, dark, off putting, disgusting and filty and for some reason I'm captivated by it. First time I saw it, I legit thought it was a weird documentary. I didn't even touch on the spaghetti in the filthy bathtub scene. The gently caress is that movie anyway?

I've actually felt DIRTY every time I've watched it. Whole god damned film is WTF.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Finished my Superman 1 and 2 double feature weekend.

Wtf happened to the end of Superman 2?

Suddenly everyone can teleport and project holograms? The cellophane shrinky dink "S" thing? The villains all fell into a bottomless cavern and died I guess? People bitch about MoS and Clark killing Zod but here he wasted three motherfuckers and no one said poo poo. Why did Superman just leave Lex there to gently caress around with his crystals and poo poo?

And that goofy rear end hypno kiss. They sort of wrote themselves into a corner but I think it would have been better to just leave Lois knowing, which could have set up a cool dynamic for future films.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Superman 2's awful and incomprehensible ending gets a pass because the amazing fight before that and the amazing COCA-COLA product placement is so iconic.

Agreed. Both films are pretty good, just dragged down by somer really stupid and unneeded things. One thing I noticed was that not only does Supes murder 3 people but the product placement was just as ubiquitous as Snyder's film; two things that people really ragged on Man of Steel for were the killing and the ads.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I just learned this morning about roles that Burt Reynolds passed up on and holy poo poo. How different would pop culture be – indeed the world – if we had gotten ANY of the following:

Han Solo (!)
Micheal Corleone
James Bond
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (McMurphy)
Die Hard (McClane)

Half off these sound like SNL skits

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I enjoyed Gerald's game (the book and the film) but, yeah, the ending was forced and didn't really work as a twist. It actually worked better in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Gerald’s Game is frustrating because it is so close to being a good movie. Everything after the car crash is just so superfluous and ham-fisted that it reads as self-parody.

I enjoyed the book as well as the movie but I know I'm in the minority. The ending didn't bother me as much as a lot of King's work either but it wasn't great for sure. Seriously, I know it's a trope by now but what the hell is it exactly with King and writing loving endings? His earlier books never really suffered from this as I recall. I don't even remember where it went off the rails to be honest.

I swear to god, after reading "On Writing" and having him explain how he's never sure where the story will take him so he just kind of follows his whims and that's part of the fun for him, I think the problem can largely be blamed on his tendency to deliberately eschew outlines and at least a basic sense of a plan or a conclusion.

From what I've read about crafting stories, a lot of really great ones actually start with the ending first and fill everything else in as a way to arrive at it. Basically starting with "the point" and filling in the steps needed to get there, sort of like a chef crafting a recipe. The chef KNOWS what he intends to make when he starts and measures and prepares the ingredients to get there meticulously and step by step. He or she might wing it a little but rarely do they just raid a pantry and go full "Chopped" with it.

It's really loving frustrating to see him blow it so often because he's so god damned good at setting poo poo up and sucking you in but, usually by the middle of the third act, you can almost FEEL him writing himself into that corner once again and beginning to flail for a way out.