Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

The original Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie movie, but the entire sequence with the biker gang throwing pies into the zombie faces is so out of place and pretty much sucks all the tension out of the movie.

That's because it's as much a comedy as a horror film. (Also a drama. Also an action flick. It is many things.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the gang's big secret to survival is just there are so many of them that they can lose a few to zombies every stop and still run away.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

The twist in Tully, which changes the theme of the movie from “friendship can change your life” to “your life is better when you’re crazy.” People in my theater audibly sighed.

Actually it's more about drawing on, while also recognizing your difference from, who you once were before major life changes (like marriage and children.) I never got that she was literally insane or talking to no one, just having these dialogues in her head.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Completely disagree about Tully, like, the most obvious thing is - what does it say about Ron Livingston's character that he never noticed any of this? That he could've figured out that his wife was having a huge psychotic break if he literally just knew the name of the 'night nurse'? That he didn't ever notice that his wife was having a huge psychotic break - even when moments like the sex fantasy or Tully watching in the corner directly involve his presence?

I mean during the sex thing it's retrospectively obvious that *she* was wearing the uniform- I'm pretty sure the implication is during these scenes that she's *not* acting like a second person's there, but she is overextending and exhausting herself trying, effectively, to be two people at once. What happens at the end is she reconciles herself with who she was- she isn't going to run away and leave her family but she may be a more complete person at the end of it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

The movie is still predicated on the husband not waking up for a week+ and Noticing that nobody is downstairs when he goes to the kitchen for a snack, not asking the nurse to put the other kids to bed, and —-Not noticing the baby is in the room!—-, as we see her rock the cradle while in bed.

Some people don't get up in the middle of the night.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Fsmhunk posted:

There's an utterly bizarre scene in Godzilla vs. Hedorah where some dude has a freakout and sees everyone with fish heads.

Of course the entire movie is kind of like this, so it's hard to single out one scene.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The people making Transformers: The Movie legitimately had no idea that the death of Optimus Prime (and the others, for that matter) would be so shocking to kids. They just thought of it as getting rid of some toys to make room for new toys. The backlash was such that A) video versions of the movie added a little epilogue promising, among other things, that "Optimus Prime will return!" and B) the G. I. Joe movie was supposed to have lead character Duke get killed, but instead he gets put in a coma, utters a deliberately goofy "Yo, Joe" when he gets hit, and at the end they announce that he's gonna be okay too.

So the tonal clash is probably just because they had no idea anyone would take the deaths of the robots seriously.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Reportedly what happened with Howling II was, Sybil Danning agreed to do only one nude scene. (Not that she’s ever been shy but presumably she knows what she’s worth.) So they shoot the one shot and use it a bunch of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

That seems super gross and exploitative.

Yeah she was not happy about it.