Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I think the sudden Dinosaur scene in Terence Malick's Tree of Life, a movie about processing the death of a loved one, qualifies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCx1Horis4
I think it is supposed to symbolize the arrival of empathy in the evolutionary tree. I don't think it's a coincidence that the predator looks like a Troödon, which is thought to be one of the most intelligent species of dinosaur.

It is such a dumb idea though, what does the notion of empathy mean to a predatory animal? Not eating the easy hadrosaur prey at that moment just means it'll need to find those calories from another animal, probably at greater risk to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Martman posted:

I'm confused... it sounds more like you're just attacking the idea of empathy in general. Like why would I give money to a poor person when that means I don't get to have the money?

I don't really think you can compare the two.

I would say if you give money to a poor person it's probably not going to negatively affect your life in any way, so there's only an almost imperceptible financial downside for yourself to it. Meanwhile if that dinosaur choses to ignore an easy and abundant meal it just means he's going to have to hunt his food somewhere else, probably at greater risk to its own life. Also that hadrosaur was dying anyway.