Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The twist in Tully, which changes the theme of the movie from “friendship can change your life” to “your life is better when you’re crazy.” People in my theater audibly sighed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, but her entire family was better off, happier, she appeared “healthier...”, while she was doing that. The point of the movie is to sacrifice until you can’t take it anymore and then go back to pretty much how things were. Don’t see her have any real consequences of drunk driving and almost killing someone.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean during the sex thing it's retrospectively obvious that *she* was wearing the uniform- I'm pretty sure the implication is during these scenes that she's *not* acting like a second person's there, but she is overextending and exhausting herself trying, effectively, to be two people at once. What happens at the end is she reconciles herself with who she was- she isn't going to run away and leave her family but she may be a more complete person at the end of it.

The movie is still predicated on the husband not waking up for a week+ and Noticing that nobody is downstairs when he goes to the kitchen for a snack, not asking the nurse to put the other kids to bed, and —-Not noticing the baby is in the room!—-, as we see her rock the cradle while in bed.

There’s a hint here and there, like the scene where the animated cartoon say “we’re turning into mermaids”, But the reason it’s WTF is because it’s something the character would immediately recognize or say (“Tully? Oh, that’s my old last name”). The twist is held from the audience when it would be extremely obvious to the character, even if it’s a really good movie otherwise. That’s why it’s so WTF.
Also there are large stretches in the middle of the movie where there’s no conflict, from the Cupcakes Appearing to the trip into Brooklyn.