Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That bit in the disco scene in American Hustle where Amy Adams screams on the toilet then laughs. Is she meant to be passing a kidney stone or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the other one where there were a bunch of animals on the set and one of the actors was nearly scalped by an eagle or something?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dunno bout an eagle but a bunch of the cast and crew of Roar (1981) were mauled by lions during production including Melanie Griffith, and Tippi Hendren was thrown off an elephant and broke her leg

Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of. I remembered the poster with Tippi Hedren with blood running down her face, but couldn't recall the title.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

It's not really out of nowhere IMO because the whole film is way more grim than people remember.

John Travolta in his white suit disco dancing to the Bee Gees is probably the only thing most people remember from Saturday Night Fever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Stallone seems to have initially wanted to become like a writer/director who sometimes acts like a John Cassavetes or something. But then he became a huge action star, started getting into roids, and well, the rest is history.

I wonder how his career might have gone differently if he'd won those Oscars for Rocky.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blast Fantasto posted:

At the time (possibly still?) only two other men were nominated for Best Actor and Best Screenplay in the same year - Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin.

I know Warren Beatty was nominated for Best Actor, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Picture all in the same year, twice (for Heaven Can Wait in 1978 and Reds in 1981 - he won Best Director for Reds).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a few things in the first sequel to In the Heat of the Night which stuck out to me a bit when I first watched it.

The first thing is how Sidney Poitier smacks his son in the face and the kid tearfully say something like, "Go on and hit me again, it couldn't hurt any worse than it already does!" so Sidney Poitier smacks him in the face again. Then later he catches his son smoking, takes him inside and says, "If you're gonna do it, do it right," and they share a joint. The second is much less off-putting.

But the overriding plot is that Tibbs is investigating this radical priest played by Martin Landau for murder, who's a kind of white left-wing preacher with a mostly black congregation trying to win votes for a local proposition (something to do with housing or public transport, though I don't recall which). And as I was watching it, I realised, "Hold on, is this guy meant to be Jim Jones?"

Because in 1971, Jim Jones was not quite as notorious as he later became and folks like Harvey Milk and Angela Davis were very outspoken public supporters of Jones and the People's Temple.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

The people making Transformers: The Movie legitimately had no idea that the death of Optimus Prime (and the others, for that matter) would be so shocking to kids. They just thought of it as getting rid of some toys to make room for new toys. The backlash was such that A) video versions of the movie added a little epilogue promising, among other things, that "Optimus Prime will return!" and B) the G. I. Joe movie was supposed to have lead character Duke get killed, but instead he gets put in a coma, utters a deliberately goofy "Yo, Joe" when he gets hit, and at the end they announce that he's gonna be okay too.

As I recall, Duke very obviously dies, everyone else is reacting appropriately as if their friend, mentor and commanding officer had just been killed in front of them, then either Scarlett or Lady Jaye is conveniently seen from behind and says, "He's gone into a coma!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the James Bond offer came after either of Connery's departures or after Lazenby quit; at this time it was also offered to Clint Eastwood and Adam West and they both declined because they felt Bond should be played by a British actor.

Dick Van Dyke was reportedly considered at an earlier stage but was disqualified because his British accent was deemed unconvincing. :v:

The closest an American actor has come is James Brolin, who shot test footage for either For Your Eyes Only or Octopussy (as did Sam Neill) which you can find on YouTube.