Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That random Holocaust shout-out in Monster Squad. I get what they were going for, but it's such a strange little moment that is never brought up ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The one WTF moment that always makes me laugh is the final ten minutes of Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare.

For those who haven't seen it, the movie is basically an Evil Dead ripoff but with a rock band, their manager and their romantic interests hanging out in a haunted farm house. They're gradually picked off and impersonated by ghouls with the unique enough setup that nobody really realizes that something's amiss. When people go missing, others figure they went and drove into town or whatever. Nobody panics and everyone has their guard down.

In the end, we're down to the lead singer (played by Jon Mikl Thor) and his girlfriend. His girlfriend is killed and a demon takes her form. Thor is chilling out, trying to write music, when his girlfriend appears and tells him that he's doomed. Thor shrugs off her warnings and demon voice like it's no big deal and assures her that their friends are all perfectly fine. Then she transforms into the Devil, who is just this awful, giant puppet. Thor still acts kind of nonplussed about the whole ordeal, much to Satan's chagrin. Then he reveals the truth: none of those killed characters were real. They were really illusions created by Thor, who is in fact the angel Triton. This was all a plan to draw Satan out into the open.

Triton then transforms and is wearing only a black cape and a spiked, metal thong. He and the Devil puppet proceed to have the absolute most embarrassing fight you've ever seen with Triton winning.

There is absolutely no foreshadowing that any of this is going to happen. It just does and God bless it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That whole thing with Beavis and Butt-head's dads from Do America was pretty weird in retrospect based on how pointless it is and how it's immediately forgotten about.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, that's :thejoke:

it's incredibly, incredibly obvious that the two are B&B's dads but they're too utterly thick to figure it out so it goes unremarked on

I get that, but the whole thing felt kind of flat to me. Like they gave the subplot/gag both too much time and not enough time to work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I was thinking of other RiffTrax movies that could fit in here and one that came to mind was When a Stranger Calls Back. It's a sequel to the Carol Kane "The call is coming from inside the house!" movie, only now her character is an adult trying to solve a case of another girl being stalked. They really wanted to have a twist that could match up with or exceed the original.

What we got in the end was a ventriloquist sneaking around, wearing a thong and bodypaint to make him look like a specific part of a wall in Carol Kane's apartment so he could play mind games. Somehow this was effective.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I recall, Duke very obviously dies, everyone else is reacting appropriately as if their friend, mentor and commanding officer had just been killed in front of them, then either Scarlett or Lady Jaye is conveniently seen from behind and says, "He's gone into a coma!"

Then after they beat the bad guys, they show a bunch of close-ups of the Joes and pause the animation on the victory celebration while having someone say, "Guys! Duke came out of his coma!"

It's like an awkward version of that, "Wait a minute! You didn't learn how World War II ended!" gag from the Simpsons.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One thing that's always seemed weird to me about the first Ant-Man is the use of Baskin Robbins in the beginning. Product placement is one thing, but I can't imagine why the company signed off on it considering it does not do them any favors. Scott's treatment makes the company seem like a bunch of assholes with zero compassion.

It's an interesting contrast to the first Iron Man movie, where the US Air Force had them rewrite and refilm a big chunk of the second act because they didn't want to be known as the guys responsible for shooting Iron Man out of the sky and giving him physical and emotional damage.

But Baskin Robbins is all, "A zero-tolerance policy against ex-cons, even if we agree with their actions? AND we get to drive them back into a life of crime despite their reluctance? Score!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

lizardman posted:

In the 1989 movie The Wizard, a trio of runaway kids is about to get caught by a guy trying to return them to their parents, the girl in the group prevents this by screaming in a public place and hollering "he touched my breast!" The innocent man is kicked off the property by security.

Later, this same man is stopped in traffic by a group of truckers, friends of the young female character. The truckers approach him menacingly, one of them says, "So, you touched her breast, eh?" And punches the innocent man in the face.

This is all supposed to be hilarious and fun!

Even though he was innocent of her claims, at least the movie went out of its way to show him as a dirtbag who deserved to be messed with. He greedily slashed the tires of the boys' father just so he could get the credit for bringing the kids in.

The most WTF part in that movie was a pool scene that had an old man in a powder blue speedo just standing prominently in the background for an extended amount of time. It was weird.

The existence of tween cigarette girls in that movie's universe was also pretty out there.