Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Limehouse Golem is kind of a weirdly shot Victorian murder thriller, that takes an incredibly bizarre detour in the middle.

Bill Nighy is a Victorian detective trying to track down a serial killer, and the only clue he has is what appears to be the Golem's diary, scrawled in the margins of a library book. He tracks down everybody who was in the library on a certain day, and gets them to write down sections of the diary as he dictates them, to compare their handwriting.

This is mostly an excuse for some very stylised flashbacks, where we see the suspect, as the Golem, enacting grisly murders, with all sorts of dramatic lighting and distortion effects, and the narration shifts to the suspect dubbed over with a strange demonic voice. It's obnoxiously modern and flashy for what's supposed to be a period piece, but it's creepy enough.

It's all fairly normal, until Billy Nighy goes to interrogate Karl Marx, and we're treated to an extended sequence of Karl Marx decapitating a prostitute before Bill Nighy snaps "well this is absurd" and Karl Marx is never seen or mentioned again.

It's a very odd film.

I guess I know what I’m watching today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, that description absolutely made me put that on my watch list.

The scene exceeds expectations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, this ruled. Good movie, great scene.

Apparently my mom has a few George Gissing books. My goal is now to get her to watch the movie.