Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/999464552596111360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes but corporations are good and workers are whiny. I’m the adult in the room

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
centrists represent the status quo, of course they're gonna be against anything that could challenge them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/999496246590083072

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
shadi hamid (brookings dude who studies islamism) said something once about how after the counter-revolution in egypt, a bunch of his secular / liberal / blah blah egyptian friends went full bloodlust about wanting the muslim brotherhood to all get locked in cages and have their eyes poked out with hot pokers.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
behind every guardian article asking for "Leadership" like what Macron or Trudeau have there is a secret Dutchman.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

shadi hamid (brookings dude who studies islamism) said something once about how after the counter-revolution in egypt, a bunch of his secular / liberal / blah blah egyptian friends went full bloodlust about wanting the muslim brotherhood to all get locked in cages and have their eyes poked out with hot pokers.

They already machinegunned MB protesters from helicopters, what more did they want?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

duh.

did no one pay attention to the EU, which for the most part would run a referendum and go "lol nope you're voting again" if the vote didn't go its way? or that the entire republican party is premised on being rigging the rules to ensure a non-majoritarian increasingly loving psychotic white bloc rules? or how the liberals who thought "maybe we hosed up something" after 2008 now loving worship the PRC as the paradigm of technocratic capitalist development?

The Right allegedly want democracy but just for its chosen ethnicity - everyone else gets the camps or lives as a permanent underclass. They also recognize that the bureaucratic elites, media types, a good portion of the academics anyone pays attention to, business leaders, the heads of international financial institutions, and so on loving despise them (but not as much as the left) and the hatred is mutual. They see the failings of the neoliberal status quo and view democracy as a convenient tool; if they position themselves as outsiders on the failed system, they believe (rightly) that they can have some degree of success.

the radical centrists are most explicitly neoliberal, and when the choice is given between capitalism and democracy (which were shotgun weddinged after the great depression and ww2) they'll choose capitalism every. loving. time. since 2008 we've been living in the Crisis Neoliberal hellhole death era and the centrists, so in love with democracy in the 1980s and 1990s when it was used to install liberal democracies, hate hate hate democracy now

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 08:51 on May 24, 2018

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
I used to think that centrists were bad because they apologized for conservative authoritarians. Turns out they're bad because they are the conservative authoritarians (which explains the apology).

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Centrists just currently content reactionaries.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Ahaha even with 'Liberal Institutions' phrasing centrists are still worse than right-wingers.

Edit the poll question actually referred to civil rights not 'liberal institutions'.

Also I like this little graph that wasn't in the article. Liking democracy but still recognising the current system is shitehouse is the most legit view, lefties coming off well.

Vitamin P has issued a correction as of 11:03 on May 24, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Centrists resent the fact they have to be politically engaged at all, which is why so many of them would rather just have a strongman deciding everything for them instead.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the center vs the right has always been if you think minorities should be worked to death or immediately killed

that's the entire difference

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Whats with the Dutch hating democracy and free elections? I can understand the centrists and far right not liking them, but not the far left. Are their communists stalinists or pro proletariet dictatorship or something?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

“democracy” is an incredibly loaded term

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Centrists are always white guys who actually identify as libertarian and flaunt their "logical abilities" and talk about strawman fallacies and how superior intellect will create a moderate government. They ask you if you've seen the latest Jordan Peterson video and if you know occams razor and if you understand that a combination of ideas is best

They talk about how antifa and nazis are equally bad

They are without doubt the most unbearable people ever

gently caress centrists and gently caress Reddit and gently caress the internet and gently caress the world and gently caress anyone to the right of me

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think centrists and libertarians are the same thing bud

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

General Dog posted:

They are

All bad

And deserve terrible things

Every centrist I've ever met has been an edgelord bitch just like libertarians so they're the same

buddhanc has issued a correction as of 07:16 on May 26, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Centrists are libertarians who actually have money, which is when they realize they need the government to protect it all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

General Dog posted:

there's actually a shrinking difference between the two. liberalism is soft libertarianism

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
centrists are nazis who are scared of being called nazis

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
centrists are technically flora not fauna

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Communist Zombie posted:

Whats with the Dutch hating democracy and free elections?
they hate each other and their culture is dominant, op.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Communist Zombie posted:

Whats with the Dutch hating democracy and free elections? I can understand the centrists and far right not liking them, but not the far left. Are their communists stalinists or pro proletariet dictatorship or something?

Maybe their strict PR system has them hating endless coalitions?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Centrists are defacto reactionaries, who knew?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What is D&D's rationalization of this

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Futuresight posted:

Centrists just currently content reactionaries.

thats a way of putting it

Jeb! Repetition posted:

nobody cares about D&D

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lastgirl posted:

nobody cares about D&D

Lol that good subforums existing makes bad subforums worse

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Jeb! Repetition posted:

you should go and ask them

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
sorry but as a centrist i'm above politics

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
something something cut a liberal and a facist bleeds op

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

:thermidor:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lastgirl posted:

nobody cares about D&D

I'm still curious because they can come up with an excuse for anything and this one would be especially challenging

logikv9 posted:

you should go and ask them

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

farraday posted:

Adler's sources and his chosen methodology have the center as 50% of the US. Disguising this fact while comparing it to the 5% of the US he identifies as hard left or 11% as hard right is disingenuous, and his attempts to control for the lack of participation or apathy are pathetic.
What he's measuring is political involvement and he refuses to understand that. For example, he tries to use claimed voting intentions as a discriminator, but people lie all the loving time about their willingness to vote. The survey he's using only 12% said they would not vote if there was a national election tomorrow, not even a presidential election, just a national election. Anyone want to guess the last time we had 88% participation in a national election?

Anyone? Bueller?

His paper is worthless trash fit only to get him an op ed and twitter follows, so mission accomplished I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

farraday posted:

Do you have an objective view of how many people understand that on a scale of 1 to 10, 5 isn't the center? Because that paper relies on the faulty assumption that people understand that.

Political ideology is self described on a scale of 1 to 10 and the paper uses 1-2 for far left and 9-10 as far with with 5-6 as the center. That works great if everyone knows 5.5 is the center of the scale but otherwise it collects everyone who considers themselves in the center and slightly right of the center because they don't understand how math works. He doesn't even mention this possibility anywhere in his paper.

farraday posted:

The pan European set has the exact same huge spike at 5, and regardless he still uses the innumerate Americans as a stand alone set meaning any confusion based on out lack of understanding is still reflected in his claims.

farraday posted:

Because 5/6 as your center would then include people who consider themselves in the center and slightly right of center and exclude 4s which would be people who consider themselves slightly left of center shifting the concept of center to the right, not the left.

It represents his own lack of understanding of the responses in the dataset and I don't have the time or inclination to do the exact same breakdown he's down with the symmetrical instead of an asymetrical center. If I had to guess though I would still say his failure to properly account for apathy and ignorance is the main issue and this math part represents a smaller portion of his failure.

Basically just trying to rip the study apart since they don't like what it says about them

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

WampaLord posted:

Basically just trying to rip the study apart since they don't like what it says about them

American "centrists" aren't 1 economic crash away from being blatant facists

*cheers on the Californian legislator who proposed fining waitstaff a grand an up to 6 months in jail for giving plastic straws to customers without their prior consent "to raise environmental awareness"*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The ideal form of government to a centrist is to just have a panel of experts decide on everything with no public input, so they never have to be politically engaged again. Just trust that the alienated panel of liberal technocrats will always make the right decisions and shut up.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
*reads the ICE thread*

Why can't they just fix their own country if it's so bad here?

#JustCentristThings

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The ideal form of government to a centrist is to just have a panel of experts decide on everything with no public input, so they never have to be politically engaged again. Just trust that the alienated panel of liberal technocrats will always make the right decisions and shut up.

isn't this pretty much japan?

seems to have more or less worked out for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

isn't this pretty much japan?

seems to have more or less worked out for them

Japan still has elections so hypothetically a left wing party could win.

• Locked thread