Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Lol you failed the frogger QTE

In my defense, I was half-assing it because I was really curious if you could get her killed that early. I later found out it can happen much earlier as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I finished my second playthrough last night and I honestly don't regret letting Kara die immediately in my first playthrough. Everything involving Connor and Markus was leagues more entertaining than Kara's story which has next to nothing to do with the overall conflict. It's just "what zany murder trap did Kara stumble into today?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpazmasterX posted:

I finished my second playthrough last night and I honestly don't regret letting Kara die immediately in my first playthrough. Everything involving Connor and Markus was leagues more entertaining than Kara's story which has next to nothing to do with the overall conflict. It's just "what zany murder trap did Kara stumble into today?"

This is true, I always hate the House of Horrors every time. Partly because there actually isn't a whole lot of variance in how that chapter can go.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm walking Humans, the BBC series, right now and it really seems like Cage ripped it off wholesale for Detroit.

I started watching on a whim, but I actually like it a lot. It's slow and low stakes for the most part, but that actually gives them time to build the androids and the world instead of handwaving everything.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

pack it in already posted:

Ralph knows. He's direct about it in your first dialogue with him. If you're referring to what happens in the morning, listen to what he's saying. Since you're playing pretend, he's trying his best to participate.

I'm half a month late on this but if you buy the model viewer for the bus guy it mentions that he's not a driver, he just does end of route maintenance and that sort of thing since while everything is self-driving, on something like a public bus it's nice to have some kind of supervision.

There's a bunch of minor character tidbits in there.

--
Also, game really needs to let you skip the Finding Jericho sequence and the Horror House bit on replays because (especially for Jericho) there's only one way that can go and they don't impact later sections at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

I'm walking Humans, the BBC series, right now and it really seems like Cage ripped it off wholesale for Detroit.

I started watching on a whim, but I actually like it a lot. It's slow and low stakes for the most part, but that actually gives them time to build the androids and the world instead of handwaving everything.

To be fair Detroit was announced around the time PS4 came out and it's not really an original premise at all, so I'd bank on coincidence over anything.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair Detroit was announced around the time PS4 came out and it's not really an original premise at all, so I'd bank on coincidence over anything.

I though that show was around for a few years before the ps4 came out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wikipedia says 2015 and Detroit was announced either the first or second e3 after PS4 came out. So 2013 or 2014. That is if you count the Kara tech demo thing as an "announcement"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

veni veni veni posted:

and it's not really an original premise at all
Very true. R.U.R., the 1920 play that introduced the word 'robot' to the English language, was about, well, androids rebelling against second-class status.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Wikipedia says 2015 and Detroit was announced either the first or second e3 after PS4 came out. So 2013 or 2014. That is if you count the Kara tech demo thing as an "announcement"

I'd count it, considering it's the direct inspiration for the final game and has the same VA voicing the titular character's namesake in Detroit.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd count it, considering it's the direct inspiration for the final game and has the same VA voicing the titular character's namesake in Detroit.

Which VA is that? Also, finished another playthrough and I totally think robot rebellion + Kara concentration camp is the most thrilling ending. The pacisfist route bored me to tears.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thundercracker posted:

Which VA is that? Also, finished another playthrough and I totally think robot rebellion + Kara concentration camp is the most thrilling ending. The pacisfist route bored me to tears.

That'd be Valorie Curry, voicing both characters named Kara.

..And she's also co-commenting in some of CirclMaster's Let's Play of Detroit: Become Human.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I played through this at my girlfriend's behest and guess what? It was actually quite good in spite of David Cage's involvement, although maybe that was because I got a fairly interesting rare ~4% ending. Kara died immediately, and Connor completed the gently caress out of his mission which means that Markus and Jericho were left very, very dead.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Just finished my second full playthrough with every possible Connor death. Started off funny, then got depressing, but managed to be hilarious again by the end.

Chloe in the menu was very miffed with me throughout.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I need to re-install because out of all my playthroughs I still missed several things, notably the entire "Kara in a camp" section.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dienes posted:

Just finished my second full playthrough with every possible Connor death. Started off funny, then got depressing, but managed to be hilarious again by the end.

Chloe in the menu was very miffed with me throughout.

Oh yeah, after I finished the game single-handedly shutting down the rebellion as Connor, my Chloe asked to be set free... in a world where deviants are being systematically eradicated. Are you sure you want that??? :laugh:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A shame this game being PS4 only means I can't mod it so that whenever you replay the junkyard-Markus segment, it doesn't play the Robot Hell music from Futurama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGDM6WDAGo

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Cross-posting from the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Imagine loving something this much yet also seeming to completely miss the point.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I never thought I'd see a tattoo that would be (if even marginally) less trashy and more on-point if it were a tramp stamp.

(After getting a crash course in DBH creative decisions and the fandom husbando thirst, my mum wanted to believe I was talking about an NPC being this daft instead of a real person, and then wanted to believe it was a joke. She has since likened it to getting a boyfriend's name tattooed on your tit - which still would have been a better place for this loving thing.)

There were options. There were quotes. The android sent by CyberLife in cursive with fish and blue hearts is a concept I just pulled out of my arse, but I bet by now the canvas wishes she'd gotten something like that instead.

Ugh.

Who the gently caress was the tattoo 'artist' that saw no problem with this?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

I never thought I'd see a tattoo that would be (if even marginally) less trashy and more on-point if it were a tramp stamp.

(After getting a crash course in DBH creative decisions and the fandom husbando thirst, my mum wanted to believe I was talking about an NPC being this daft instead of a real person, and then wanted to believe it was a joke. She has since likened it to getting a boyfriend's name tattooed on your tit - which still would have been a better place for this loving thing.)

There were options. There were quotes. The android sent by CyberLife in cursive with fish and blue hearts is a concept I just pulled out of my arse, but I bet by now the canvas wishes she'd gotten something like that instead.

Ugh.

Who the gently caress was the tattoo 'artist' that saw no problem with this?

It isn't the tattoo artist's job to stop you from having terrible ideas.

EDIT: that's a horrid word to forget

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 1, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Christ I’m sick of people falling all over themselves to show how offended they are at everything. It’s a dumb tattoo that’s probably a little tone deaf just like the game it’s directly referencing. People need to chill out.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

veni veni veni posted:

Christ I’m sick of people falling all over themselves to show how offended they are at everything. It’s a dumb tattoo that’s probably a little tone deaf just like the game it’s directly referencing. People need to chill out.

Sounds like the kinda talk someone who just got a bad tattoo based on a bad game would spit out. Show me your wrist, nerd.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Finished a second playthrough, considering I only played about 60% (Kara never made it out of the house and Markus lost the fight against Connor in Jericho, leaving North to take over the rebellion) of it last time: Connor wasn't just a machine, but a REALLY heartless one. Hank committed suicide unlike last time where I was just neutral with everyone. Markus led the most half-hearted violent revolution ever, where he met Connor on the battlefield and got his loving limbs and neck snapped. Kara did everything right, made it to the border, and got herself, Luther, and Alice publicly executed because of Markus' lovely revolution. I gotta say, whoever wrote the bad/tragic endings did a drat fine job.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Finished a second playthrough, considering I only played about 60% (Kara never made it out of the house and Markus lost the fight against Connor in Jericho, leaving North to take over the rebellion) of it last time: Connor wasn't just a machine, but a REALLY heartless one. Hank committed suicide unlike last time where I was just neutral with everyone. Markus led the most half-hearted violent revolution ever, where he met Connor on the battlefield and got his loving limbs and neck snapped. Kara did everything right, made it to the border, and got herself, Luther, and Alice publicly executed because of Markus' lovely revolution. I gotta say, whoever wrote the bad/tragic endings did a drat fine job.

You gotta really want to go through with Kara not going Deviant at all. :stare:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You gotta really want to go through with Kara not going Deviant at all. :stare:

I have a weird compulsion to obey when a game tells me to not move no matter what. Ask me how I've finished Far Cry 4 :v:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Game finished today and I can't believe how much I enjoyed a David Cage joint. I took the violent / rear end in a top hat responses pretty much throughout, which skips over a lot of what sounds like teeth-grindingly obvious MLK quotes in favor of smashing stuff with an iron pipe. Results:

Markus: Successfully led ultraviolent robot revolution including sick as hell action scenes where he demolished a squad of riot cops, CQC'd a whole load of army dudes without sustaining a scratch, successfully liberated the android camp, blew up a tank with a bazooka and got it on with North. Has fully embraced destiny as robot tyrant. Detroit now in android hands, humans fleeing in terror.
Kara: Crossed Canadian border with Alice by sacrificing Luther. Luther held a gun to Alice's head, which I guess caused them not to scan us. Living it large in Canada.
Connor: Psychopathic robot fuckhead who got his kicks from torturing Hank. Cold and unfriendly to everyone he met, never missed a chance to remind Hank that androids are just machines. Drove Hank so crazy he shot him in the head at one point, only to turn up at work the next day looking smug. When the police chief fired Hank and Connor for being screwups Hank quit the force and Connor didn't care about the plot, so headed home to Cyberlife where all Connors were permanently and voluntarily deactivated."

All in all a pretty interesting story. I've read up on the pacifist playthrough and it sounds loving boring. Winning the revolution with a song rather than a bazooka? :rolleyes:

Also I got a tonne of 0% scenes towards the end so I was pleased that I was at least being contrarian.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 23, 2018

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I replayed a few chapters out of curiosity. With Markus, its so convenient that giving other androids free will also happens to mean they will follow his commands whenever he needs it. Would've liked an ending in which the androids Markus 'freed' were revealed to just be puppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

precision posted:

I need to re-install because out of all my playthroughs I still missed several things, notably the entire "Kara in a camp" section.

That's actually my favorite Kara ending. I had a run with that, rebel Marcus, and terminator Conor and it was by far my favorite. Played out like an action thriller at the end with Marcus, unknowingly, racing against the clock to save Kara.

• Locked thread