Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So I'm not crazy right? Cage is definitely taking famous actor's faces and tweaking them a bit to avoid a lawsuit. Like Kara is definitely just Jennifer Lawrence. And that one dude is just knock off Drake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thundercracker posted:

So I'm not crazy right? Cage is definitely taking famous actor's faces and tweaking them a bit to avoid a lawsuit. Like Kara is definitely just Jennifer Lawrence. And that one dude is just knock off Drake.

They're facial scans of the actual actors portraying the characters.

Gyoru posted:

Finished the game this morning after playing all day yesterday.

My (happy) ending results:

Todd is alive and forgives Kara + Alice

In my playthrough Todd ate a bullet in self-defense. I only brought the gun because I thought it could be used to threaten him away from Alice, I didn't mean to kill him! :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And that one dude looks nothing like Drake :lol:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In my playthrough Todd ate a bullet in self-defense. I only brought the gun because I thought it could be used to threaten him away from Alice, I didn't mean to kill him! :ohdear:

Going into Todd's bedroom to grab the gun will script Todd reaching Alice before you do. Going directly to Alice's room and choosing to run allows you to leave without Todd noticing or a minor chase sequence. Todd's forgiveness event only occurs if you make it to the bus terminal because Todd happens to be there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This is as silly and ham-fisted as you'd expect from a David Cage game, but pretty fun. Big step up from Beyond: Two Souls, anyway. The Markus segments are extremely boring so far though (I'm about halfway through the game).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Can Kara die and have her plot thread end as early as the chapter where Todd goes apeshit and she runs away with Alice?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
This game sucks poo poo and David Cage also sucks poo poo. I loved it 10/10 would watch a let's play of the next piece of poo poo that falls out of his rear end

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Only just noticed the thread tag. :golfclap:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I got like the worst possible ending. I was trying to roleplay each character and what they would do rather than what I as a player would do.

Markus tries to be peaceful and is gunned down. Kara get's Luther killed by the cop, Kara and Alice get loving smoked in the android recycling center, all the androids in the world basically get killed, the android rebellion super loving fails. Conner kills Hank, Kills North, Conner reports back to cyberlife and they have a new model to replace him and he is taken apart and decommissioned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The game definitely lives up to the promise of meaningful decisions, having just looked up a few of the paths I missed. Entire long scenarios are locked behind decisions and that's pretty rad.

Clancy Brown really steals the show and Lance Henriksen did surprisingly well too.

What did everyone have Markus paint? I chose "Humanity" and "Empathy" and he painted two sets of hands, human and android

Also how do you keep Lance alive?

Also goddamn it I guessed the biggest "twist" way before it happened.

precision fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 26, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

In the scene with his son? You push his son and he bonks his head and dies

If you are talking about something later I'm not there yet.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

precision posted:

Fight back against Leo. This is the only way to save Carl. Leo doesn't actually die when you shove him.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Kara is played by valorie currie, she was on this show called The Following with Kevin Bacon.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

davidcage.jpg

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Meatwolfe posted:

Kara is played by valorie currie, she was on this show called The Following with Kevin Bacon.

Why did they name the show The Following with Kevin Bacon? It's kinda wordy.

I'm on my new game plus I guess you would call it and I'm noticing things playing out a lot differently.

I would say this is by far David Cages best game but also it's still one of those so if you aren't down for that this won't change your mind. I'm gonna rate it David Cage/10.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really liked it. I deliberately hosed almost everything up and made the world awful, so I look forward to trying the opposite on the next go round.

Definitely some times I rolled my eyes at the writing or was just straight up confused by what happened.

Like when Kara drives a distance, then later is at the ship back in Detroit. So she drove hours out to this little house only to drive hours back? Seemed weird.

Also in the chapter right after you have to find somewhere to spend the night, How did Kara find out about the house with the psychopath? I missed when she was told about it. Did Ralph tell her?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does the game have any kind of shortcut features once you've beaten it? It seems to encourage finding all the extra paths but some of those are way at the end of a chapter, behind a lot of actual busy work.

I can't imagine finding all the painting variations if you had to play all the way through for each one.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

blue squares posted:

I really liked it. I deliberately hosed almost everything up and made the world awful, so I look forward to trying the opposite on the next go round.

Also in the chapter right after you have to find somewhere to spend the night, How did Kara find out about the house with the psychopath? I missed when she was told about it. Did Ralph tell her?

A random droid grabbed her arm and told her about him soon after they got off the bus:

As flawed as the game is, they werent kidding about your choices. I got a very different ending so far. Kara and Alice escaped to Canada by smuggler boat but Alice and Luther got shot and died right at the end. I played Connor as a ruthless machine so he threw Hank off the rooftop, found Jericho by breaking into the evidence room, sneaked into the end demonstrations and killed Markus point blank. Although Markus did broker peace for the droids and the not Hillary president ended the stand-off on a hopeful note. The rest of Markuss droid friends survived. Also, remember to escape to the main menu once in a while. The blonde android there sometimes does unsettling things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Does the game have any kind of shortcut features once you've beaten it? It seems to encourage finding all the extra paths but some of those are way at the end of a chapter, behind a lot of actual busy work.

I can't imagine finding all the painting variations if you had to play all the way through for each one.

When you use the chapter select, you can start at any mid-chapter checkpoints as well.

I don't think you actually have to get every painting variation or similar things for 100% completion though. Like, if you choose to Play Chess, whether you win, lose or draw it counts the entire activity as being done for the purposes of completion %. At least that's how it seems on my second playthrough.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

Definitely some times I rolled my eyes at the writing or was just straight up confused by what happened.

Like when Kara drives a distance, then later is at the ship back in Detroit. So she drove hours out to this little house only to drive hours back? Seemed weird.

The spend the night one has an answer. The garbage man told her when they shook hands. It's a terrible answer but it's an answer.

The writing in the game is all kinds of uneven. Some of it's pretty good but a lot of it I found myself quoting Deadpool 2.

Also Clancy Brown for best actor in a video game 2018. The man chews through scenery like a pro. Wonderful performance from him. Sadly it felt like his facial animation was a bit simplistic because of the beard. You missed out on the finer details that a lot of other characters have. But he seems to have the beard all the time in real life and you aren't going to tell the man to shave.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

When you use the chapter select, you can start at any mid-chapter checkpoints as well.

I don't think you actually have to get every painting variation or similar things for 100% completion though. Like, if you choose to Play Chess, whether you win, lose or draw it counts the entire activity as being done for the purposes of completion %. At least that's how it seems on my second playthrough.

Even so, you just know some people are going to need to have every little box blue (or yellow I guess) if it's possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I do want to see all the painting variations.

Apparently I missed something you can look at/do in the "clean first floor" part of Kara's first scene but have no clue what it could be.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

precision posted:

Yeah I do want to see all the painting variations.

Apparently I missed something you can look at/do in the "clean first floor" part of Kara's first scene but have no clue what it could be.

Did you turn the roomba on?

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund
The best part of Heavy Rain (the last cage I played) was loving up the sixaxis controls and swerving into oncoming traffic or something, is that still in?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yes, sixaxis QTEs are still in, but you can switch game mode to casual and then it will remove all sixaxis stuff. Also gives you time limits that are more tolerable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheesetriangles posted:

Did you turn the roomba on?

Yeah I did everything that shows up as yellow, so I'm thinking there must be something in the yard to look at or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sick brunch kills posted:

The best part of Heavy Rain (the last cage I played) was loving up the sixaxis controls and swerving into oncoming traffic or something, is that still in?

They're in but in the path I took there were only 2 or 3 that required tilting the controller. A fair number that require snapping the controller to the side or down but almost no tilting which is good because the detection on tilting suuuuucks

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I started the game on experienced but immediately switched to casual when I realized it turns off the guidance lines when examining evidence. I didn't want to waste time on pixel hunts when I don't even know what I should be looking for half the time.

Ending question:
is it explained on any of the paths who or what ra9 is? Or is it just supposed to be Markus?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Ending question:
is it explained on any of the paths who or what ra9 is? Or is it just supposed to be Markus?

Don't think so. I even asked Elon Musk about it and he didn't know

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Having seen the resistance/military/whatever ending

Only thing is I laughed until i cried watching the rousing speech happen in front of a non-animated crowd imagining that "we are people too" speech was being heavily endorsed by people that cheered by standing perfectly still and only moving their mouths because that doesn't look android dehumanising at all

So that brought joy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My theory, based on the way my playthrough went, is that Connor is ra9.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I started the game on experienced but immediately switched to casual when I realized it turns off the guidance lines when examining evidence. I didn't want to waste time on pixel hunts when I don't even know what I should be looking for half the time.

Ending question:

I took it to mean the "code bug" that causes freedom in Androids. Like some internal calculation spits out "RA9" and suddenly you've got feelings.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This was a pretty fun game. I'm surprised by how many different options it has in looking at the flowcharts. They need to be able to skip dialogue to encourage the playthroughs though.

Clancy Brown is also the best.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

nessin posted:

I took it to mean the "code bug" that causes freedom in Androids. Like some internal calculation spits out "RA9" and suddenly you've got feelings.

Honestly I thought the story was going to go in the direction of RUSSIAN HACKING causing the robot uprising due to the US/Russia conflict going on in the background. Then a news report implies that Russia was affected too and WW3 gets postponed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Codependent Poster posted:

This was a pretty fun game. I'm surprised by how many different options it has in looking at the flowcharts. They need to be able to skip dialogue to encourage the playthroughs though.

Clancy Brown is also the best.

You can't skip dialogue because it's tied into unique animations as one long movie, and there is a LOT to buffer in advance with how gorgeous the game is. It works in stuff like Mass Effect, because it's just "skip animation/dialogue sequence, start next canned set".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This loving SUCKS. I hit this completely game breaking bug when Kara gets off the bus and nothing seems to fix it. Like, the whole game is hosed. When I got off the bus half the geometry didn't load and I couldn't interact with anything. When I reload she is just walking around the streets but if I push any buttons, I'm magically back on the bus talking to the driver and then she won't exit the bus. I can't even use the chapter select to fix it because I haven't even hit a checkpoint yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:stare:

Early Kara talk:

first time through I didn't even find the gun in todd's room. This time I used it, and later got the option to rob the convenience store. Doing so got one of the best scenes in the game, drat. Kara's actress nails it

So yeah I'm gonna say multiple playthroughs should be considered mandatory

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

:stare:

Early Kara talk:

first time through I didn't even find the gun in todd's room. This time I used it, and later got the option to rob the convenience store. Doing so got one of the best scenes in the game, drat. Kara's actress nails it

So yeah I'm gonna say multiple playthroughs should be considered mandatory

You don't actually need to use the gun to rob the store. You can use Alice as a distraction by having her knock the stack of cans over and swiping the cash while the attendant's busy cleaning up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well I got it to unfuck itself but it took 2 replays of the previous chapter. Yeesh

Anyways that rap song playing in the background while you are analyzing graffiti is hilariously lame and I need to know who it is. Its like 1 step above average homeboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Having seen most of the scenes, there are two annoying problems about this game that really stand above the general issues.

1) The entire thing happens over two days, which is just silly. Other than Kara's path you could literally just alter the Markus/Conner dates and the story instantly becomes more reasonable.

2) The worst path is by far the most interesting and written. Edit: In general I'd say it's common for the bad paths to be short, quick, and fast affairs (which to be fair, many of the "bad" death scenes are like that) but actually playing things out in the worst ways possible lead the most creative scenes while many of the best/good path scenes are the bland ones.

Markus - Keep alive till the end and play the pacifist card the whole way through until the end when forced to fight. If you play Conner as noted then you pick Conner at the end to kill Markus as everything has collapsed. Also not a terrible option to get Markus killed off just before the end and have the North/Conner robot section play out.

Kara - Keep alive with Alice until you the Jericho escape where you need to get captured by having Alice surrender. Play the camp scene through but don't connect up with Alice at the end, she'll suicide and Kara gets the broken walk into oblivion. Most importantly, lets you see the camps and experience that whole segment.

Conner - Play the robot card the entire way through. Don't connect at all with your partner, and get yourself killed a few times. You can actually kill yourself off as much as you want (Rupert chase death is worth it for comic value). This gives you the Lt suicide scene and the Markus/Conner fight with the android losing path. Also dodges the incredibly weird and unexplained secret Cyberlife plot.

nessin fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 27, 2018

• Locked thread