Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XQduS6IfA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel

Uh oh, sweetheart, that's a no-no! You can't make that move because sending your troops across the DMZ to bypass your brother's naval blockade would be interpreted by my forces as an act of war—perhaps you'd be interested in holding off mobilizing your units and investing this turn's funds in a research agreement with me instead? It's okay sweetie, everyone makes boo-boos! Just don't let them turn into international incidents, we wouldn't want to involve your mother in this

kalel

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

No, Grampa, it's okay. I've played this one a million times, and...

(Grampa's trembling, papery hand lifts the tiny cardboard circle from the board. His eyes narrow at the symbol in red on black, glossy and vibrant)

... No Grampa it's not like that! They set it up so the good guys...

(Grampa's gaze becomes severe, frightening. The fire of ten thousand memories flickers behind his long, intense scrutiny. The children can't possibly know what that symbol means to him. What it meant to those men... those boys, whose faces he can still see in the shadowy hours of dusk)

... I know it's not cool for a boardgame to have swastikas but it's historic, and you really can't win as the Axis...

(Grampa sweeps all the cardboard circles on to the floor, grinding them under his slipper as he trudges away to be with his thoughts)

Grampa? Grampa? gently caress why didn't we just play Risk like normal people...

kalel

FactsAreUseless posted:

When this began - when did this begin? - it was a game. A game: one decision after another after another after another, until we'd made every possible choice and began to make impossible ones. Was it the boy (the brother), his name so long forgotten, that started it? He built the machine. Was it the girl, and it's possible she never had a name, that started it? She used the machine first. It was the mother, the father, as they merged into one in our minds, creator/destroyer, a single thing that began the game and ended it, but can we say they started this? They dismantled the machine, but by the time they did it was no longer bound by physical form.

I think - "I," "I," "I," as though the self was anything but an abstraction, a convenience - that it was the infant, unformed potential, who started it. He/she/they revealed to us what lived in the hearts of stars.

• Locked thread