Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they are slowly making more things declarative, but lots of poo poo still has to be done with targets which are procedures called relative to other targets. if you want to do it consistently across all your projects you end up copying that code over and over into every project or solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would have been better if they had abandoned csproj entirely and started from scratch in .net core with declarative only builds.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
What has to be done with targets?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

anything made by microsoft is trash for idiots, hth

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

same for anything that's written by anyone in javascript

look, normally I would be 100% with you on this. but somehow this isn’t true for vscode. i wouldn’t believe it either if I hadn’t tried it. I don’t even know wtf.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
why no love for intellij itt. I think it has the best dark theme

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
look at this... it's... it's beautiful

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
dark theme is fugly
IDEA light theme for the mother loving win!

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
dark theme sucks but there's the material design add-on now which looks good. get that sf mono font too and you're set.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

What has to be done with targets?

building nuget packages and moving them to package repo on my local team for use in other solutions since nuget doesn't do local repos like maven

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zlodo posted:

I used visual studio every day for the past 19 years in various companies and configurations including using only microsoft stuff and it has consistently been a slow and buggy piece of trash with a disastrous UX

Which makes it all the more surprising that visual studio code is actually good

VS 2015(or was it 16?) was good, everything after that has been super buggy

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

building nuget packages and moving them to package repo on my local team for use in other solutions since nuget doesn't do local repos like maven

you want to run "dotnet pack" and "dotnet nuget push" after every local build?

note that nuget does support local package sources.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

GenJoe posted:

look at this... it's... it's beautiful

while i agree, vscode has per element color themeing support with the config file so ive been able to tweak my preferred colors to match and enhance how everything looks. they use a dual panel json file to do config which i found annoying at first but it is at least consistent and easier to use than other config panels with engineer optimized garbage uis. it keeps impressing me and the last few builds have improved a lot in ways that make me quite happy

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

vscode still can't handle network drives lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this inspired me to install it on my mac and write somethjing in python

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the best text editor and ide and terminal emulator and irc client already exists OP

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Incomplete Fish posted:

the best text editor and ide and terminal emulator and irc client already exists OP

i didn't know visual studio had an irc client

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yeah you just use the terminal emulator to open emacs and you're all set op 👍

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Shaggar posted:

vs code is not as good as visual studio for programming and not as good as notepad++ for text editing.

i check out vscode every now and again but this is the reason i haven't stuck with it.

but notepad2-mod as text editor

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
visual studio is fantastic for writing c#. for c++ its a buggy pile of rear end that crashes all the time and can't search for poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hammerite posted:

c++: its a buggy pile of rear end that crashes all the time

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Incomplete Fish posted:

the best text editor already exists OP

ed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hammerite posted:

visual studio is fantastic for writing c#. for c++ its a buggy pile of rear end that crashes all the time and can't search for poo poo

ever since an update a couple of months ago, any debug related text (call stack, watch, hover variable inspector, etc...) is microscopic on a hidpi monitor

not that it matters, because the compiler seems to love crashing when compiling valid code that clang and gcc builds with no errors or warnings

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I use Notepad++

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

vs code used to choke on files with really long lines with word wrap off, like it would slow down to the point of being unusable

they fixed this by just truncating lines to 10000 characters. bizarrely you can move the cursor past that point and even edit/delete text in this void you can't see! especially cool is how if you naively hit the end key on a too-long line, your cursor just disappears to the void and the window doesn't scroll at all, not even to the truncation point, and you don't know what the gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you write a line of code with 10,000 characters in it I'm taking away your computer

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

If you write a line of code with 10,000 characters in it I'm taking away your computer

how many perl users are you prepared to fight?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Minifiers?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Origin posted:

how many perl users are you prepared to fight?

those absolute specimens of humanity? i'll take em all on at the same time

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

sometimes when using the computer you may open a file authored, astonishingly, not by a flesh and blood human but in fact the very computer itself!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lime posted:

sometimes when using the computer you may open a file authored, astonishingly, not by a flesh and blood human but in fact the very computer itself!

if you are generating code with 10,000 characters per line, your output program is broken. code is human editable text. perhaps you meant to generate structured data?

issue closed: WONTFIX

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah, sometimes you need to look at a minified file and try to find something in it.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

The Management posted:

if you are generating code with 10,000 characters per line, your output program is broken. code is human editable text. perhaps you meant to generate structured data?

issue closed: WONTFIX

hmm i thought this was a deficiency in the program but you are right, by opening a text file which was not code in an editor plainly called vs code i have brought this on myself

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

can't wait for vs log

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

the correct editor behavior when encountering a line containing >10,000 characters is to display "get the gently caress outta here with your stupid edge case."

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Or just loving wrap

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

akadajet posted:

yeah, sometimes you need to look at a minified file and try to find something in it.

If you need to look at the minified file instead of whatever it used to be you're doing something wrong

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Fiedler posted:

the correct editor behavior when encountering a line containing >10,000 characters is to display "get the gently caress outta here with your stupid edge case."

and yet virtually every other editor handles this case without issue, even notepad.exe which chooses simply to

Space Whale posted:

just loving wrap

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

You do this often enough that you know how various editors handle it? Unless you're literally developing a minification tool, you're doing something wrong.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sereri posted:

If you need to look at the minified file instead of whatever it used to be you're doing something wrong

sometimes you don't have access to whatever it used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

akadajet posted:

sometimes you don't have access to whatever it used to be

Fiedler posted:

you're doing something wrong.

• Locked thread