Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are you that guy from some yosposter's old job who wrote "self-documenting code" by doing stuff like int functionToSortAListOfWirelessNetworkNames (String[] &theListOfWirelessNetworksToBeSorted)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

i should think not, as that would leave me only 9910 characters to work with, the merest pittance

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

not going to dispute that

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
instead of arguing about whether or not a case is valid for text, you could just use a decent editor

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
such as?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

vim

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pls don't troll

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
im trying vs code today against my better judgement

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Vim won the war a long time ago. Stop fighting it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
a lot of turbonerds seem completely unable to write in anything other than either emacs or vim because they spent a lot of time imprinting editing workflows into muscle memory or whatever, and they’re usually really insistent that the user interface is actually very good and people should spend a long time learning to use a good editor

there’s something to that I guess but I’ll take not being married to a loving text editor instead

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TheFluff posted:

a lot of turbonerds seem completely unable to write in anything other than either emacs or vim because they spent a lot of time imprinting editing workflows into muscle memory or whatever, and they’re usually really insistent that the user interface is actually very good and people should spend a long time learning to use a good editor

there’s something to that I guess but I’ll take not being married to a loving text editor instead

You're not a turbonerd for using what is hands down the best open source text editor in the world.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shaggar posted:

pls don't scroll

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

TheFluff posted:

I used vim. but then I switched to vs code. it is good. took me a long time to stop hitting escape all the time

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I use vscode for a lot of my stuff now. It’s a pretty decent piece of software.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qhat posted:

You're not a turbonerd for using what is hands down the best open source text editor in the world.

well yeah we know vs code is good but you were talking about vim before

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

lol yeah just let me move my hands from the keyboard to click on things with the mouse... *borat voice* NOT!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

things that slow me down when coding.
1) my brain
2) the mouse?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vim and emacs are both extremely bad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

vim and emacs are both extremely bad

Shaggar posted:

pls don't troll

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

emacs is why rms' hands are crippled (like, literally, i heard he has to have an assistant type all of his awful screeds)

don't use emacs

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

emacs is why rms' hands are crippled (like, literally, i heard he has to have an assistant type all of his awful screeds)

don't use emacs

It's actually due to his lifelong diet of foot lint

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

don't use emacs

if you write like him please use emacs

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
spacemacs ftw

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i started using spacevim and i like it a lot so far!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

more likely it's a combination of
- bad typing technique, which will gently caress up your hands regardless what program you use
- turning every task into a hacking challenge

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
https://twitter.com/h_east/status/1007880877353758721

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Lime posted:

i should think not, as that would leave me only 9910 characters to work with, the merest pittance

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
I used Visual Studio Code for a bunch of embedded stuff and it was OK but I could never work out how to make it point to the standard C libraries for Intellisense and it never stopped complaining about it

It's not as good as Sublime Text for text editing because you can't make multiple selections

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

theodop posted:

It's not as good as Sublime Text for text editing because you can't make multiple selections

:confused: It's exactly like sublime text with its multiple selections.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Why would you use Visual Studio Code when you could use Visual Studio?

Anyway they're both good and vim sucks poo poo comparatively but if you're stuck in a ssh terminal or 1995 vim's better than the alternatives at least.

theodop posted:

I used Visual Studio Code for a bunch of embedded stuff and it was OK but I could never work out how to make it point to the standard C libraries for Intellisense and it never stopped complaining about it

This is almost why I started using Visual Studio community and it's good.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theodop posted:

you mean headers I assume. you can set that in the per-project json file somewhere. see google for more details.

quote:

it can. and also block edits

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

The Management posted:

you mean headers I assume. you can set that in the per-project json file somewhere. see google for more details.

why is /usr/include not the default? :raise:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I've given all the ides (and garbage javascript ides) a fair shot but IntelliJ is the least broken one so thats what I use

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
beware the ides of march

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Silver Alicorn posted:

beware the ides of march

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

btw, is there like a magic plugin or setting combo to make eclipse usable?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Symbolic Butt posted:

spacemacs ftw

shameful, but also correct

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

HoboMan posted:

btw, is there like a magic plugin or setting combo to make eclipse usable?

i doubt it, eclipse is one of those pieces of software that desperately needs things taken away, not added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

The Management posted:

yeah I couldn't work out how the pathing worked and I gave up after 5 minutes. a wizard would be nice for dumbasses like me

quote:

it can. and also block edits

look at that, it can now. I remember specifically wanting to use it as my normal editor but not doing it because it didn't have multiple selections. Now my only reason is it takes about 5 seconds to become usable after launch, instead of sublime which is instant

• Locked thread