Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft corporation created a cross platform, open source editor written in node.js, electron, and blink. I know that string of words sounds like a recipe for absolute garbage, but inexplicably it’s the best editor out there.

the war is over. visual studio code won. it is the best. if you aren’t using it you are literally an idiot.

why are you still using your dumb editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jfc look at this garbage. gtfo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Colonel Taint posted:

The git cli is actually good.

mods?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

windows 10 is free why would you use a second-rate os?

right, it’s free because it’s a second rate os

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i really don't find the "extremely tiny visual representation of the file in the side panel" an acceptable navigation method

I do, but you can turn that off if you don’t like it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

anything made by microsoft is trash for idiots, hth

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

same for anything that's written by anyone in javascript

look, normally I would be 100% with you on this. but somehow this isn’t true for vscode. i wouldn’t believe it either if I hadn’t tried it. I don’t even know wtf.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lime posted:

sometimes when using the computer you may open a file authored, astonishingly, not by a flesh and blood human but in fact the very computer itself!

if you are generating code with 10,000 characters per line, your output program is broken. code is human editable text. perhaps you meant to generate structured data?

issue closed: WONTFIX

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

TheFluff posted:

a lot of turbonerds seem completely unable to write in anything other than either emacs or vim because they spent a lot of time imprinting editing workflows into muscle memory or whatever, and they’re usually really insistent that the user interface is actually very good and people should spend a long time learning to use a good editor

there’s something to that I guess but I’ll take not being married to a loving text editor instead

I used vim. but then I switched to vs code. it is good. took me a long time to stop hitting escape all the time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theodop posted:

I used Visual Studio Code for a bunch of embedded stuff and it was OK but I could never work out how to make it point to the standard C libraries for Intellisense and it never stopped complaining about it

you mean headers I assume. you can set that in the per-project json file somewhere. see google for more details.

quote:

It's not as good as Sublime Text for text editing because you can't make multiple selections

it can. and also block edits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Baxate posted:

why is /usr/include not the default? :raise:

why would it be? that’s a compiler configuration.

• Locked thread