Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I keep thinking "I won't let the sun go down on me" when reading the title but then again I'm a stubborn optimist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Oh boy, I have Opinions on Dark Souls 2. Can't wait.
Same, in that it's probably the game with the weakest average map design; but amazing build and gameplay variety.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like the map design in Dark Souls 2, even [CONTENTIOUS PART]. It fits with the themes.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I love the trailer you made for this and aww year, can't wait to watch it.

Out of curiosity, is this LP series why your Dark Souls 3 stream videos have recently gone private? Was watching them when one day they poofed on me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I wasn't too happy with how that series went overall, I played through both DLCs blind on stream and it was really frustrating (the DLCs for Dark Souls 3 are very frustrating) and I'm sure I can do much better now that I have more experience with it all.

By the way, the Jade Star Curse strikes again, as I just had a recording session get corrupted by Steam crashing, which crashed the game, which crashed Nvidia Share, which threw the audio completely unfixably out of whack. Thanks Steam! :downs:

But don't worry, I'll find a way to fix it that'll be so sneaky and smooth that you probably won't even notice.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 27, 2018

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I keep wondering how many let's plays of this I can watch before I finally get a little tired of the series, and the answer always seems to be "at least one more".

Looking forward to seeing what magic you use to fix the next episode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh don't worry, I've got about 15 or so episodes before the corrupted session that are just fine. I'm way ahead of the curve on this one, mostly because I can't stop playing this drat game I love so much. :sweatdrop:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
You mentioned new mechanics, is there a way to non-spoilery describe the differences besides the visuals? Like is it DS2 NG+ where enemies get moved around, or are some things changed specifically to gently caress with people who already know the original game by heart? Oh, and did they spin up the servers again for multiplayer?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with how that series went overall, I played through both DLCs blind on stream and it was really frustrating (the DLCs for Dark Souls 3 are very frustrating) and I'm sure I can do much better now that I have more experience with it all.

By the way, the Jade Star Curse strikes again, as I just had a recording session get corrupted by Steam crashing, which crashed the game, which crashed Nvidia Share, which threw the audio completely unfixably out of whack. Thanks Steam! :downs:

But don't worry, I'll find a way to fix it that'll be so sneaky and smooth that you probably won't even notice.
It isn't a real Dark Souls LP until you replay the entire game in order to properly record 15 minutes of content because one of your pieces of recording software crashed/wasn't on

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1000712134328807424

Good news, thanks to KalonZombie showing me how to reencode the audio/video with Handbrake, I don't have to re-record anything OR be sneaky! :toot:

Takes No Damage posted:

You mentioned new mechanics, is there a way to non-spoilery describe the differences besides the visuals? Like is it DS2 NG+ where enemies get moved around, or are some things changed specifically to gently caress with people who already know the original game by heart? Oh, and did they spin up the servers again for multiplayer?

I'll mention two of the gameplay changes for now because they won't be apparent in the LP (since I don't do much multiplayer stuff) but the rest will be mentioned pretty soon in the videos so I'll just leave it to them. These two changes are to the number of phantoms you can have in one game world- they jacked the number way up so that you can have 6 people running around at once -and that there is now a weapon reinforcement matchmaking system that works on tiers of every-5-upgrades. Allegedly this weapon tier system only applies to the Burg and Parish to prevent bullshit one-hit-kill invasions but the game's so new still that nobody knows for sure yet! There are other little changes to how the gameplay works but those are the big ones for people interested in the multiplayer.

edit: And, of course, the netcode for multiplayer is much much better. It's still not perfect but it is visibly improved as you will see in the LP!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 27, 2018

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You mentioned that you have specific builds in mind for Dark Souls 2 and 3. I can only presume for 2 it's gonna be Power Stancing All The Time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Are you on steam? will you be playing online? Will you be human so that people following the LP can inv lend you a helping hand?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I won't be playing online for the majority of the LP, no. I do briefly go online for a time to show off invasions/suummons/etc but I didn't want my recording to be interrupted because I planned out my route through the game very meticulously. There was room for fun online shenanigans along the way though!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I guess we won't see any "but thrust therefore hooray" messages then

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I guess we won't see any "but thrust therefore hooray" messages then
...can you still write messages when offline?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, having got pretty far into DS2 and kind of lost the urge to finish it, I've just started DS1 (not remastered) after wrestling with DSfix and graphics drivers etc. I guess I'll try to follow along with my own game, until I get roadblocked at some boss you will no doubt take down effortlessly :(

I already wandered through a fog door by accident to the first post-asylum boss with 50%HP and no estus, that was a great (if brief) time

I went super stabby in DS2 with rapiers for most of the game, so I think I'll try strength and some kind of large sword or something this time round.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I never did pick up SotFS to replace my copy of DS2 for reasons, but I'm at least somewhat tempted to drop the dough for the DkS remaster. I have this hang-up about buying games I already own though, and the remaster is actually 4 times what I paid for Dark Souls in the first place...

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, having got pretty far into DS2 and kind of lost the urge to finish it, I've just started DS1 (not remastered) after wrestling with DSfix and graphics drivers etc. I guess I'll try to follow along with my own game, until I get roadblocked at some boss you will no doubt take down effortlessly :(

I already wandered through a fog door by accident to the first post-asylum boss with 50%HP and no estus, that was a great (if brief) time

I went super stabby in DS2 with rapiers for most of the game, so I think I'll try strength and some kind of large sword or something this time round.

Hey, at least someone else is playing Prepare to Die edition, I was worried I'd be the only one!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, Prepare To Die... that was my introduction to the Dark Souls series too; I did the same wrestling with DSFix, because really, that keyboard set-up was incomprehensible without it. Sunk hours into that thing without ever really finishing the game, not from exhaustion or frustration (although it certainly is all of those things) but chronic indecisiveness about chosen class. Seriously, I get the old alt-itis like you wouldn't believe; haven't even gotten to Pillars of Eternity 2 yet because I keep fiddling about on 1 with different classes and backgrounds to suit my particular narrative. So it is with this series; turns out if you're as vague with the story details as H. Miyazaki is, my brain is the type that likes to fool around with it.

And now I get to fool around again, in GLORIOUS HD(tm) and a new PS4, because I really miss that controller and it feels good in my hands. (hee) Good to see you showing it off, CJ, although I might miss your little googly eyed flask :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The google-eyed estus flask will return some day, I promise!

Tonight is a night of celebration, by the way, as I finally got past a certain big ugly many-eyed blockade that has caused me to abandon two recordings of this very LP in the past. I've been trying to do this Souls Series LP for nearly two years now, and I've gotten to almost the tail-shaped end of it both times only to delete it all out of frustration with how horribly the DLC recording session went.

Well, not this time. :c00l:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 31, 2018

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The google-eyed estus flask will return some day, I promise!

Tonight is a night of celebration, by the way, as I finally got past a certain big ugly many-eyed blockade that has caused me to abandon two recordings of this very LP in the past. I've been trying to do this Souls Series LP for nearly two years now, and I've gotten to almost the tail-shaped end of it both times only to delete it all out of frustration with how horribly the DLC recording session went.

Well, not this time. :c00l:

The DLC kind of front-loaded its greatest hits in my opinion, given as it opened with the two best boss fights in the game.

On that note, one of the unique opportunities this LP series offers, if it manages to stick it out, is the ability to do a comparison of the evolution of boss fights through the entire series. The goalposts for boss reactivity, mobility, and aggressiveness move somewhat throughout the series, but given that it was a few years between them if we were playing along in real time, it was sometimes hard to notice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Not too dissimilar from the Land of the Lost! Just replace dinosaurs with raisin people.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

Not too dissimilar from the Land of the Lost! Just replace dinosaurs with raisin people.

And much better than Limbo of the Lost! :unsmigghh:

EDIT: CJACOBS YOU GET BACK TO THAT GRAVEYARD RIGHT NOW AND GET WHAT YOU MISSED YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID OR RATHER DIDN'T DO

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 2, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: CJACOBS YOU GET BACK TO THAT GRAVEYARD RIGHT NOW AND GET WHAT YOU MISSED YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID OR RATHER DIDN'T DO

How will I ever Become Unstoppable(tm) at this rate!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

Hah hah hah hah. That's still not funny. That remains: not funny.
I dunno, I think crestfallen could do pretty well co-hosting some sort of surreal comedy show.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
so just to be sure I'm not seeing things at 7:43 is it just me or is there one of those zombie things ( I forgot the name) just in that barrel/vase thing at the bottom of the screen?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

CJacobs posted:

How will I ever Become Unstoppable(tm) at this rate!

You also didn't get Rickert's second bit of dialogue "We're both undead. But what's there REALLY to moan about?" I love that line read. Rickert and Larry are my bros.

Jumping back an episode, here's something. I don't know if its common knowledge, but you can jump off the balcony above the Stray Demon to smaller balconies on the left and right.

Stray Demon will destroy these too.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ComicsandSlushies posted:

so just to be sure I'm not seeing things at 7:43 is it just me or is there one of those zombie things ( I forgot the name) just in that barrel/vase thing at the bottom of the screen?

yup, we'll see him when we return. there are plenty of embarrelled bodies in this game

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I remember you commenting in another LP of Dark Souls on how people complain about poor directions at the start of the game, even though the crestfallen warrior tells you where to go. The thing is - and I'm pretty sure I said this at the time - he says something like "go up the stairs and through the waterway", but the problem is he doesn't, like... point the direction. So you don't necessarily know which way he means. I certainly didn't on my first playthrough! I found some stairs and then some water directly behind him, so I thought "maybe this is what he meant?" - and then got stomped by skeletons for a while.

You've gotta be really clear and specific with directions. (And maybe also not give important ones couched amongst a deluge of other information.) Trust me I'm a level designer. :v:

I'm glad to hear you can rebind keys now; jumping is already hard enough in the Souls games. Does it let you do anything about how hard it can be to reliably trigger kick and leap attacks?

On my first time through I had a lot of trouble with the Taurus demon, and didn't actually manage to defeat him "properly". On one attempt he knocked me off the high wall-top and then just somehow managed to slip and fall down after me, which the game counted as a victory. :confuoot:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Another part of why people get brutally owned by skeletons and don't realize that's not where they're supposed to go is because of the game's reputation. You're told this game is really really hard, so who knows if the first enemies you encounter outside of the tutorial are supposed to be brutal, angry skeletons?

Only once you go to the Undead Burg and realize the game is more unforgiving but relatively fair does it become clear, but I can see where the reputation might lead some players astray in that first bit.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's been years since this game has been released, and I've probably watched 5 LPs of it, and somehow I never knew you could fight the Taurus Demon on top of that tower until now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to recreate one of my favorite moments from the original LP recording. The very first teaser I made for this LP over a year ago now (!!) is all that's left of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Kl4H2x1d8

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm not quite convinced about your point (you made it a little wordier in the general Dark Souls discussion thread) that the dragon is a super obvious signpost for a (possible) later encounter.
First of all, most people have a really hard time with the Burg and Taurus. I know I did and a lot of buddies too; the game does teach you how to play it, but until you have learned your lessons, you will die. A lot. I almost quit here because I kept getting my rear end kicked by three dudes at once after having to rush through assholes dropping firebombs, then by three dudes at once throwing firebombs directly, then by fuckers who just wouldn't lower their shields (what is a kick???), then by futile stubborn attempts against the black knight...oh, and by Taurus himself, obviously.

By the time I did make it past Taurus, I might have spent three to five hours of playtime with a lot of frustrated "I...think I'll come back to this later" moments, so days in real life. I think my memory of the five seconds of "holy poo poo a dragon ookay it's gone but probably not for good" would have been thorougly erased by then...

...if, secondly, I hadn't walked up the stairs to the trigger super cautiously, saw something happening with huge impact like I was expecting because TRAPS ARE EVERYWHERE, booked it back down and hid in a corner until the noises had stopped. I never realized that there even was a dragon at that part because I ran like a panicked kitten without looking back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'll talk about it more in the next episode when it comes up again, but I did mention that in my post in the Souls thread. Even with the potentially super duper long time between when you see the dragon for the first time and when you hypothetically may or may not see it again, there's a lot to remind you of its possible continued existence when it does or doesn't become relevant in the near or far future!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I know, I read your posts after all ;). Just referring to what you said in the video - I don't think the foreshadowing is quite as effective as it is for example in Demon's Souls, where the first dragon appearance happens in a cutscene right as the tutorial level starts, and the next time you have to deal with it is after you can optionally see its resting place and way before you have to fight a boss; it's about 2/3 through an area you are meant to be able to complete with not a huge amount of difficulty.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 6, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Antistar01 posted:

I remember you commenting in another LP of Dark Souls on how people complain about poor directions at the start of the game, even though the crestfallen warrior tells you where to go. The thing is - and I'm pretty sure I said this at the time - he says something like "go up the stairs and through the waterway", but the problem is he doesn't, like... point the direction. So you don't necessarily know which way he means. I certainly didn't on my first playthrough! I found some stairs and then some water directly behind him, so I thought "maybe this is what he meant?" - and then got stomped by skeletons for a while.

When I first played, I literally didn't see the stairs leading up to Undead Burg until three or four hours into the game. I looked in that direction, but just thought that it was a brown line in the cliff wall.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be fair, he says you have to "access the Undead Burg through the waterway" capitalized and all, so if wherever you do decide to go doesn't take you to the Undead Burg... well...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

To be fair, he says you have to "access the Undead Burg through the waterway" capitalized and all, so if wherever you do decide to go doesn't take you to the Undead Burg... well...

"There is a bunch of water down here, I must be going the right way :downs: Oh hello ghosts" was my very first experience. I finally noticed the lead up to Undead Burg, and began to feel like an Olympic god crushing hobo zombies after learning to stomp the graveyard skeletons then nopeing out from the Catacombs. (Black Knight, destroyer of newb Hubris).

Didn't help that back then people were more likely to tell you that Graveyard or New Londo were totally correct directions because they went there uphill both ways. Hindsight and (comparative) maturity in the playerbase as much as anything makes undead burg stand out better these days as the correct path.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I can imagine people thinking "ah, maybe the Undead Burg is just beyond this graveyard. I should keep bashing my head against this wall of angry skeletons." It seems like a connection someone new to the Dark Souls setting/lore might make. I don't know; I'm kind of playing devil's advocate there. For my part it pretty quickly became obvious from how little damage the skeletons were taking - and how much damage they were dealing - that I'd gone the "wrong" way.

So I didn't spend too long there before trying the opposite direction (and it did still feel like the opposite direction to where the game had been trying to lead me), and found the way to the Undead Burg.

• Locked thread