Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Git gud is a really lazy way to give advice that indicates that you don't actually care about giving the person advice so if that's all you have to say to someone then don't even bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Git gud is a really lazy way to give advice that indicates that you don't actually care about giving the person advice so if that's all you have to say to someone then don't even bother.
Thank you.

"Git gud" might be fun advice to give, but when you get it when you're learning the game you want to hurt the person who said it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well, to be fair, I'd certainly like to take a tranquil peaceful walk through the Darkroot Garden. Maybe not if the local wildlife acted like it does in this episode though.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I always feel that 'git gud' is a lazy dismissal, and this coming from Lazy Bear so you can take that to the bank. If you want to give advice like that, there are better ways to do it that still tell the player to get better at the game, but explain better how one can. A few good examples are such things as:

"The black knights you face in the Undead Parish are great for learning how to parry! Spend as many souls as you can and go find one to 1v1 for a while. You'll get it."

"Try teaching yourself how and when to dodge by fighting the guys under the dragon bridge. Just watch the sides!"

"If you're having trouble with a boss, there's always getting summoned and using that as practice."

But then, if we did stuff like that, how would we ever maintain our reputation as toxic, elitist assholes?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
It also implies that some kind of high level mechanical mastery is needed just for basic situations or levels, when in fact variations in strategy like "use items", ranged attacks or luring enemies out would be far more effective without requiring any significant investment in mechanical improvement. Or maybe better positioning in a boss fight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Case in point: it never occurred to me to use the crossbow to pull one guy at a time from that cluster near the end of the Undead Burg until I saw CJacobs do it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CJacobs posted:

Well, to be fair, I'd certainly like to take a tranquil peaceful walk through the Darkroot Garden. Maybe not if the local wildlife acted like it does in this episode though.

You always seem to be popping your consumable souls. Is there a reason for that? Most people only ever pop them right before spending them so as to not risk losing them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I use them on elevators and stuff because otherwise I'd just be standing around doin' nothing. Pretty much any time I'm just standing around waiting for elevators or enemies to move I'll see if I have any high-value ones to chomp down on. Besides that though I usually wait until I need them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And now we've met Siegmeyer, the best character in all of Souls.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

na, man, i disagree. this is only a problem if the person is sincerely giving that as advice. in which case, yeah, i do agree and it's super lazy and dismissive. but NO one should be giving that as sincere advice. no one should be taking a person aside, sitting them down, and saying "listen, friend" as they put a hand on their shoulder, "you really just need to 'git gud'". that's absurd. but every community has its share of extreme weirdos who should be ignored.

"git gud" has evolved beyond that into an in-joke of monumental proportions. a quick google image search for "git gud dark souls" reveals a veritable plethora of related memes proving that for as dismissive as it is, a massive amount of care, effort, and work has been put into it. as Rigged Death Trap pointed out, there's really more to "git gud" than meets the eye. it's a clever wink and a nod, a nudge-nudge of the shoulders, a sly grin--it's a marker of someone who gets the joke. i've followed several of the dark souls threads on SA and generally, there's some rock solid advice that gets given out. w/r/t gitting gud, i've seen that as well... and fortunately i've only seen it used in that knowing, sarcastic context. that is to say, used in such a way that i can picture in my mind's eye the poster standing above their computer monitor, arms akimbo, wearing a cardboard cutout replica of the giant dad armour set, nodding sagely at their words. it is with a grossly incandescent heart that i sing the praises of "git gud" and prepare to die.

and so, fellow chosen undead, i say to you all as i post out of sight, happy git gud to all and to all a gud night!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

CJacobs posted:

You snubbed Beatrice. You monster.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The Knights of Catarina are the best NCPs in this series.

One thing I will note is how dark even the HD version looks in these videos. Is this just a brightness thing or is the lighting really that annoying?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 19, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

pun pundit posted:

You snubbed Beatrice. You monster.

Don't worry, we will be seeing her and other such massively destructive NPC friends in action!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, does the halberd just do that much damage vs stone knights or should I level up a bit? I wandered into the dargen and basin with my claymore, it did pretty handily versus the smaller inhabitants but felt like chip damage against the giants. As soon as I accidentally aggroed two stone knights at once, I noped right out of there without even knowing I was metres away from the ring and armour :(

I'm now a bit deeper into the game and am getting clobbered by a boss with unfamiliar patterns. Maybe I should forget the bloodstain and go try my luck against that titanite monster for a while, I figured it was just best to sprint past him. There are so many attacks in this game that look like they shouldn't be blockable, but it seems to just be the really big overhead smashes that ignore shields?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Shields are quite overpowered in Dark Souls 1; I think you might be able to block every attack iiiif you had infinite stamina and stability. If a blow is so strong that it exceeds that, it'll go straight through.

The halberds shouldn't have any special effect on the stone knight afaik, it's simply a good weapon and has high counter damage for during their casting animation. The knights have a lot of defense and every weapon will do comparatively piddly damage, they might be weaker to blunt ones though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The halberd does *a lot* of damage compared to most of the stuff available at this point. My last playthrough I whittled down the Moonlight Butterfly using the Partizan... And that took a lot longer than the LP's two cycles.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Kinda-sorta related to Dark Souls, but probably more related to your streams CJacobs; I just (finally) started playing Darkest Dungeon and it turns out there are a bunch of Dark Souls mods for it. E.g. mods that add Artorias/Abyss Walkers and Ornstein/Dragon Slayers as character classes. They seems fairly new? New to the Nexus, anyway; maybe they've been on the Steam Workshop for a while, I don't know. I got the game from GOG, so I haven't really looked at the Workshop stuff.

Anyway, I think I remember you mentioning on a stream recently that you wanted to stream Darkest Dungeon again sometime soon. Do you think you'd chuck some of those Dark Souls mods in there? Seems right up your alley. I'd be curious to see them in action, too. So far I'm sticking to vanilla (except for some UI mods) while I learn how to play the game without getting flattened.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was waiting for the final DLC to come out before restarting the Darkest Dungeon stream for realsies, and now it has and a big balance patch is coming with it, so that should be going again soon. As for using mods, I only wanna use visual stuff and even then I won't be installing any until waaaay down the line. Darkest Dungeon is a very long game so there is definitely enough room for it along the way!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Stone Knights (not Stone Guardians, CJacobs should know why that matters) have ~450 regular and thrust defense, ~550 slash defense and ~250 strike defense. Magic defense is ~350, with equal fire defense, but they're insanely resistant to lightning at ~900 defense. They're also practically (or maybe actually) immune to poison, toxic and bleed, so no cheesing them that way.

Generally, heavily armoured stuff should be hit with a club, but magic is also good at pretty much everything. Most armoured stuff is also weak to lightning and mildly resistant to fire. There are exceptions to every rule, of course.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CJacobs posted:

I was waiting for the final DLC to come out before restarting the Darkest Dungeon stream for realsies, and now it has and a big balance patch is coming with it, so that should be going again soon. As for using mods, I only wanna use visual stuff and even then I won't be installing any until waaaay down the line. Darkest Dungeon is a very long game so there is definitely enough room for it along the way!

Oh boy Darkest Dungeon steam. I want in on that. That game is my JAM for art direction

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Okay, fair enough. I knew a new DLC was about to come out, but I didn't know there was a big rebalance coming at the same time. I wonder if my timing with starting to play the game was slightly off. I suppose I can start again if this new patch isn't compatible with existing saves; I'm not too far in yet.

Anyway, looking forward to the stream.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CJacobs posted:

Yup also this, the meme is getting really grating especially with how loving toxic the general gaming community has become. Some people will never be good on the twitchyness (like me on parrying black knights) even if they knew the underlying strategy 100%.

Anyway I just finished all the DS1+DLC bosses, and I can't seem to get the rhythm down at DS3 at all as the twitchfest is upped to ADHD on crack levels IMO.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, does the halberd just do that much damage vs stone knights or should I level up a bit? I wandered into the dargen and basin with my claymore, it did pretty handily versus the smaller inhabitants but felt like chip damage against the giants. As soon as I accidentally aggroed two stone knights at once, I noped right out of there without even knowing I was metres away from the ring and armour :(

I'm now a bit deeper into the game and am getting clobbered by a boss with unfamiliar patterns. Maybe I should forget the bloodstain and go try my luck against that titanite monster for a while, I figured it was just best to sprint past him. There are so many attacks in this game that look like they shouldn't be blockable, but it seems to just be the really big overhead smashes that ignore shields?

The halberd is great, but only if you are good at aiming without lock-on because the horizontal/vertical coverage and recovery time for a miss on the R1 is awful.

And did you upgrade your claymore to +5 yet?

Palladium fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 23, 2018

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
This thread has inspired me to pick up DS2 again and then subsequently to put it down again, because I suck at parrying.

What I'm saying is, thanks for nothing CJacobs! You're making us all look bad! :argh:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Palladium posted:

Yup also this, the meme is getting really grating especially with how loving toxic the general gaming community has become. Some people will never be good on the twitchyness (like me on parrying black knights) even if they knew the underlying strategy 100%.

Anyway I just finished all the DS1+DLC bosses, and I can't seem to get the rhythm down at DS3 at all as the twitchfest is upped to ADHD on crack levels IMO.

Yeah, DS3 has some really unreasonable stuff, especially when you hit mid-late game.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dabir posted:

Yeah, DS3 has some really unreasonable stuff, especially when you hit mid-late game.

IMO the real non-boss bullshit is either Crabs cause its so hard to know when to parry or the Grand Archives when spell caster spam and midgets and the mini boss all attack at the same time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

IMO the real non-boss bullshit is either Crabs cause its so hard to know when to parry or the Grand Archives when spell caster spam and midgets and the mini boss all attack at the same time.

crabs are easy, the fuckers are the Pontiff Knights. Six giant spins in a row while travelling towards you at the speed of light, sure, that's doable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dabir posted:

crabs are easy, the fuckers are the Pontiff Knights. Six giant spins in a row while travelling towards you at the speed of light, sure, that's doable.
Honestly I found the Pyromancer ability to wallhax cast at you more irritating in that area. "Well I broke line of sight, so it should be fine-oh guess I still need to spam dodge rolls anyways"

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
After watching the latest video, I was going to say that the divine ember we just got is the game's way of hinting that it is time to go fight the skeletons in the graveyard (cause the description says it's good against undead). However, to actually use the ember we need to either grind in a specific way or progress a decent bit further into the game so I'm not too sure now. I'm actually not really sure anymore when the developers intend for you to take on the graveyard.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

placid saviour posted:

This thread has inspired me to pick up DS2 again and then subsequently to put it down again, because I suck at parrying.

What I'm saying is, thanks for nothing CJacobs! You're making us all look bad! :argh:

For what it's worth, parrying in DS2 is completely optional, to a greater degree than in either of the other two (or Bloodborne, where I at least felt it was absolutely critical). One of the reasons I really love doing the strength 2H approach in DS2 -- apart from powerstancing weapons larger than your character being stupid and great -- is that not being able to parry isn't a significant loss.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Xerophyte posted:

For what it's worth, parrying in DS2 is completely optional, to a greater degree than in either of the other two (or Bloodborne, where I at least felt it was absolutely critical). One of the reasons I really love doing the strength 2H approach in DS2 -- apart from powerstancing weapons larger than your character being stupid and great -- is that not being able to parry isn't a significant loss.

One of the big issues is DS3 has a pile of unparryable bosses and its hard to tell if they are or aren't

Like Dancer uses swords ergo you'd think being a weapon boss she'd be parry able but noooope.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Section Z posted:

Honestly I found the Pyromancer ability to wallhax cast at you more irritating in that area. "Well I broke line of sight, so it should be fine-oh guess I still need to spam dodge rolls anyways"

oh yeah them too, gently caress that. Especially when the first one you see is behind a big pile of claymore hollows.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

Parrying is extremely optional in all the Dark Souls games, speaking as someone who historically was extremely terrible at it. Useful, sure, and of course it makes some enemies/bosses much easier, but you can get by without it. Bloodborne is definitely the one with the most important parry, but they compensate there by making the parry windows enormous - and ranged, of course.

CJacobs makes most of us look terrible in comparison, but don't let that stop you from enjoying it. Trust me, you don't need to parry to enjoy a Dark Souls game. You don't even need a shield - or if you don't want to parry, you can go the other extreme and take advantage of the greatshields, since you don't care about their main downside.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Palladium posted:

And did you upgrade your claymore to +5 yet?
Yep, it's a beast against just about everything. I think I found out what I was missing versus the stone knights - Try holding with both hands, the increased damage is pretty amazing. Almost makes me want to ditch my shield entirely and try out the zweihander I stole from the graveyard, but being able to block and (sometimes) parry is too much of a crutch for me to let go of right now. It's still taking me some effort to adapt from my DS2 playstyle, which was rolling through attacks and getting a stab or two in during the recovery.

What isn't shown in the last video is that if you die against Havel, he hides behind the doorway in subsequent encounters and tries to flatten you the moment you walk in. The only way I found to survive was to run in, immediately turn to the right and parry. Trying to get a lock-on and roll through the swing was slow enough to get me killed more often than not...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 1, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yep, it's a beast against just about everything. I think I found out what I was missing versus the stone knights - Try holding with both hands, the increased damage is pretty amazing. Almost makes me want to ditch my shield entirely and try out the zweihander I stole from the graveyard, but being able to block and (sometimes) parry is too much of a crutch for me to let go of right now. It's still taking me some effort to adapt from my DS2 playstyle, which was rolling through attacks and getting a stab or two in during the recovery.

What isn't shown in the last video is that if you die against Havel, he hides behind the doorway in subsequent encounters and tries to flatten you the moment you walk in. The only way I found to survive was to run in, immediately turn to the right and parry. Trying to get a lock-on and roll through the swing was slow enough to get me killed more often than not...

He's always hiding there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the vocal characterization. You can tell a lot about people by how they laugh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Glazius posted:

I like the vocal characterization. You can tell a lot about people by how they laugh.

It's true! The laughing is strange but it definitely gives you an idea of the character's intentions. I mean, who heard that "keh heh heh heh" from Lautrec immediately after being thanked by him and didn't go "gulp, oh poo poo"?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Lautrec's ill intentions are pretty obvious from the get-go.

What isn't obvious is what happens when you don't let him out of his cell. I learned that the hard way on my first playthrough, and I actually ragequit the game for a few days because of it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey CJ whats happening with this LP?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
CJakes is busy making the world a better place by putting together DOOM mods. it is for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: I moved this post to the top of the next page because the Awful App is terrible and I double posted!!

• Locked thread