Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Trion went through a few rounds of raising money from VCs after Rift launched. Expectation for greater profits that comes with that lead to a lot of cuts to cost centers like customer service and a general slide into sleazy business practices as they tried to extract every red cent of revenue from their games to please investors.

Basically, the really lovely short term profit driven form of capitalism that's popular lately happened to Trion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well, I was planning on trying it at least a month, but what I've been seeing was so very bad (not the fps/performance thats playable for me, but choices they made for the game. The combat system sucks, the English translation is not good, there's literally no endgame right now, etc) that I felt I couldn't pass up the "everyone gets a refund" offer that steam is apparently giving out right now. Its the first time I ever asked for a refund for a game.

Good luck, folks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blazing Zero posted:

i want to believe this is faked for views

He also says that his neighbor died and he didnt care because he was playing bless.
He says he bought a ship in star citizen.
He also talks about crowfall.
He wanted to live it and make friends.
And he talks about wanting to buy all the cosmetic items.

I just don't buy it. His channel does have video guides for bless so it could be real or faked for views to get noticed as the guides have like less than 100 views.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 31, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Saradiart posted:

Stormblood is still the worst MMO launch (at least if you were part of EA).

lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I admit I'm disappointed the wheels fell off so quickly to universal acceptance. Was hoping for a staunch holdout or something defending this product against all reason because that usually provides cheap laughs.

Can't find one anywhere.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~

DancingShade posted:

I admit I'm disappointed the wheels fell off so quickly to universal acceptance. Was hoping for a staunch holdout or something defending this product against all reason because that usually provides cheap laughs.

Can't find one anywhere.

you can still find a couple here and there on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Bless/comments/8ngdun/how_i_feel_about_all_the_refund_posts/

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Look for streamers that were made "emissaries" or whatever. I peeked in to one and he was arguing with his chat, saying "everyone has a bad launch, you should expect it, it's still early access, etc."

Streamers are stupid. (This is a subset of MMO players are stupid, which is a subset of gamers are stupid.)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saradiart posted:

Never tried Stormblood, hard to imagine it was worse than Anarchy Online.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tenzarin posted:

He also says that his neighbor died and he didnt care because he was playing bless.
He says he bought a ship in star citizen.
He also talks about crowfall.
He wanted to live it and make friends.
And he talks about wanting to buy all the cosmetic items.

I just don't buy it. His channel does have video guides for bless so it could be real or faked for views to get noticed as the guides have like less than 100 views.

You may not want to believe it, but I can point you to the Star Citizen thread and single out a number of goon whales who make this guy look downright normal :smuggo:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Xolve posted:

Back to waiting for Brad McBenzo to either:

-release Pantheon

-launch Pantheon off the nearest cliff with decades proven MMO strategies to destroy your game/launch/coke habit

my man

30 days until camelot unchained

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Can't find one anywhere.

Usually a game needs to have more hype generated for people to get so invested in it that they just refuse to see all the problems it has. Bless just kind of came out of nowhere so I guess that didnt have time to happen.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
from every video I've seen this looks like a bootleg GW2, at least looks-wise

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Saradiart posted:

Not sure if I know this one, have a link about what went wrong?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Zil posted:

There was an instanced solo story quest you had to complete to access much of the expansion's content. So many players were doing it all at once that the instance server more or less crashed, or at the very least filled up to full and wouldn't allow any more instances to be spun up, meaning players couldn't access the expansion.

This sums it up pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTRxOM81Bc

Also, not the worst MMO launch. Not by a long shot. FF14 still largely worked, you just couldn't get into the expansion content the first couple of days.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
If you think Stormblood was the worst launch in MMO history then you either can't have been trough a lot of them or have poor memory.
Far as SB launch went, it wasn't bad at all compared to others, sure 90% of the expansion content was locked out for the first 24hours of EA but rest of the game was very much playable.
Now their dumb idea to restrict the free server transfers to the day of the expansion launch is a whole other issue not often mentioned, but even with that included I'd call that launch pretty average for how bad poo poo can really get.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Stormblood launch was just fine. Sounds way blown out of scope.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Which WoW expansion was the one where the queues and outages were so frequent that the guy who ran /r/wow had a meltdown and took the sub hostage? He closed the sub and threatened to keep it closed until Blizzard bumped him to the front of the server queue.

That particular launch seemed pretty bad. Although none of these are AO bad.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CoffeeBooze posted:

Which WoW expansion was the one where the queues and outages were so frequent that the guy who ran /r/wow had a meltdown and took the sub hostage? He closed the sub and threatened to keep it closed until Blizzard bumped him to the front of the server queue.

That particular launch seemed pretty bad. Although none of these are AO bad.

Warlords.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anarchy Online launch is easily one of the top 3 worst launches of all time.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!

Vintersorg posted:

It was really bad inside the newbie zones and main cities, once outside though the crashes weren't as bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vintersorg posted:

I played ao launch and I cant even remember how it was. The game had so instanced that I almost want to say I didn't notice it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The game just plain did not work the first month or two to the point they didn’t start charging the monthly fee till about six months in. I think you can probably still find the articles Lowtax wrote about it in the front page archives.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Zil posted:

So the reason I hate it the most out of any MMO/expansion launch is because you could actually get in and play. You could see glimpses of the new stuff. However, there was a story quest that took you from the start of the new areas to fantasy Japan. Due to server instability issues, 95% of players could not actually initiate that MSQ. You would have literally an entire server crowding around the NPC, hoping that their attempt to trigger the instanced part of the quest would actually progress. So, it was this infuriating thing where you could actually enter the expansion, but you were immediately walled off from doing anything. Beyond that, no instances worked most of the time, so it was difficult to try to level up the new jobs. I dunno. I've been through a lot of bad launches, but I hated that one the most.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The game just plain did not work the first month or two to the point they didn’t start charging the monthly fee till about six months in. I think you can probably still find the articles Lowtax wrote about it in the front page archives.

Well I'm not going to deny it happened, because it was so long ago I barely remember anything. I remember driving my car that was slightly slower than walking. There are most likely some bad memories but I kinda just remember having a fun time with AO at launch.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 1, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Okay what's the next MMO launch we can get people excited for shortly before it collapses under it's own weight on the runway during boarding and bursts into flames?

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
reddit is praising the sweeping nerfs to every class because of reasons i guess

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

sexy mouse posted:

reddit is praising the sweeping nerfs to every class because of reasons i guess

The game did feel a bit too easy but this is kinda overboard without making changes to mana or considering individual class balance. Mages have huge mana problems now and rangers don't do nearly enough damage. Paladin damage is a laugh.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Guys quick rebuy the game they released a battlefield that was in the prior versions of the game! /s

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Tried Bless at a friend's house

It's supposed to be an RvR game but there is no PVP to be found and melee classes have around 1 CC

what a 10/10 experience that was

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:thunk:

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

So what you're saying is...another party can buy Bless when it fails shortly and rebrand/develop it as a Dragon Riders of Berk MMO?!?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dragon's Prophet already exists.

E: It's also a better game than Bless. Pokémon + bits of Monster Rancher. Everything is a dragon of some kind and you tame and breed them, then summon them to fight with you

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 1, 2018

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Look for streamers that were made "emissaries" or whatever. I peeked in to one and he was arguing with his chat, saying "everyone has a bad launch, you should expect it, it's still early access, etc."

Streamers are stupid. (This is a subset of MMO players are stupid, which is a subset of gamers are stupid.)

Was his name King_Krotha?
God I hope it was Krotha

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Schubalts posted:

Dragon's Prophet already exists.

E: It's also a better game than Bless. Pokémon + bits of Monster Rancher. Everything is a dragon of some kind and you tame and breed them, then summon them to fight with you

Dragon's Prophet is awful, did we play the same game?

I was the leader of the goon guild when it came out. It did not last long.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Now that everyone hates this game I'm going to buy it I think

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Akumos posted:

The game did feel a bit too easy but this is kinda overboard without making changes to mana or considering individual class balance. Mages have huge mana problems now and rangers don't do nearly enough damage. Paladin damage is a laugh.

Trait your 1 ability in fire, ice, and wind to restore mana on hit. It helps a lot.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

desudrive posted:

Dragon's Prophet is awful, did we play the same game?

I was the leader of the goon guild when it came out. It did not last long.

Didn't say it was good, just that it's better than Bless.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Is anyone just loving done with this artstyle?

I swear if they removed all the banners and text that said "Bless Online" from their website they could slap Final Fantasy 14 / Tera / Black Desert (or any other clone) and people would mostly accept it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Generic Cash Grab Online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

hobocrunch posted:

Is anyone just loving done with this artstyle
their website they could slap Final Fantasy 14 / Tera / Black Desert (or any other clone) and people would mostly accept it.

I think the artstyle of this is closer to GW2 than Tera though without the painterly aesthetic and a lot less consistency. Unless you mean the random anime creatures and uncanny valley-looking characters due to beforementioned anime/korean style in which case, yes, it's feeling pretty drat bland at this point, imo.

I know it's perhaps a bit close to going "mah immursion", but when some of the npc:s are entirely unlike everyone else for no concernable reason, it just feels jarring to me.

Though I'll give the game this - its armors seemed a lot less terrifying than Tera's for females, though I'm sure there's groanworthy ones here too.

• Locked thread