Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice! And yeah, carb synching should be done when the engine is at operating temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also the bike made its first 10ft trip under its own power :toot:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mewse posted:

Also the bike made its first 10ft trip under its own power :toot:

Congrats!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stumble just coming off idle is gonna be your pilot screw settings unless the carb balance is really badly out of whack.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Stumble just coming off idle is gonna be your pilot screw settings unless the carb balance is really badly out of whack.

Would it be rich or lean (like do i need to tighten or loosen)

e: hmm reading an adjustment guide and should be easy enough

mewse fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 20, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You can tune your pilot screws off header temperature to a certain extent. After a synchronize, I adjust mine to ~500F right at the bend, measured with an IR thermometer. Don't know what's ideal for your bike, but somebody has probably figured it out. A friend of mine welds O2 bungs into his headers and tunes by the A/F ratio but he's a weirdo anal engineer.

When synching, check your adjustment at a couple different engine speeds, like idle, 2000, 4000.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mewse posted:

This was probably part of the problem.

I boiled the jets and made sure I could see the pinhole of light in both pilot jets, and reinstalled everything. Let the bike warm up and it seems like it's running ok now. There is still a hesitation leaving idle for a couple revs, I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe I have to sync the carbs again with the engine warm.

I like to run a guitar string through the hole and scrape it around the perimeter even if I can see light, since you might be able to see a little bit of light but theres a bunch of crude in there and its still not going to run right.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Okay so I saw that bit earlier about sucking water into the carbs and couldn't figure it out, now that makes sense.

Use engine oil in the carb balance tool. Whatever you're using for oil changes (Rotella, I'm guessing?), put that in your tubing in place of the water, so if it gets sucked into the engine it doesn't matter as much.

I did the two-bottle method, as described here: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_synchronize_the_carburetors%3F

ADINSX posted:

I like to run a guitar string through the hole and scrape it around the perimeter even if I can see light, since you might be able to see a little bit of light but theres a bunch of crude in there and its still not going to run right.

Friend of mine is a car mechanic who also builds cigar-box guitars. I asked him for some spare guitar wire for just this purpose and he dressed me down proper. Apparently running a steel wire through a copper/brass nozzle is a no-no. Here's what he recommended, which still looks like steel to me but whatever, cheap enough: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Oxygen-Acetylene-Torch-Tip-Cleaner-Kit-KH575/100341101

TheNothingNew fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 20, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Would it be rich or lean (like do i need to tighten or loosen)

e: hmm reading an adjustment guide and should be easy enough

Could be either, usually they stumble because they're lean (so loosen to compensate), but they can also sort of bog and not want to rev up cleanly if it's too rich (so tighten to compensate). My quick check method is to just give the throttle a decent blip - if the revs come down really slowly or hang at a certain rpm, it's too lean. If the revs come down normal but it stalls or the idle chugs for a while before slowly increasing, it's too rich. Keep in mind this method works even if you're only a little bit either side of perfect, you just have to listen carefully for the drop/hang while watching the tacho (if it's a decent one anyway). My deaf ears are good for about 200rpm accuracy which is more good enough on most japanese four strokes.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

TheNothingNew posted:

Friend of mine is a car mechanic who also builds cigar-box guitars. I asked him for some spare guitar wire for just this purpose and he dressed me down proper. Apparently running a steel wire through a copper/brass nozzle is a no-no. Here's what he recommended, which still looks like steel to me but whatever, cheap enough: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Oxygen-Acetylene-Torch-Tip-Cleaner-Kit-KH575/100341101

"Comes with twelve scientifically designed stainless steel reamers" :shrug:

Whatever works. I can see the concern, brass is super soft, but I'm not putting much pressure on it at all. I soak em in carb cleaner (put them in the bottom of the float bowl and spray the entire thing down and let them sit for a bit) then gently run the high E wire through and make sure it touches all the sides.

That does look like a handy tool though so I'll probably pick one up if I remember next time I'm at home depot

mewse
May 2, 2006

Got the carbs synced correctly (with motor oil rather than water in the tubes) and then fought the idle mix screws for half an hour while continuously scorching my hands and now I've given up for the day. I think I'm going to get an angled screwdriver before trying again. I was using a flexible attachment for a mini screwdriver and it sucked dick

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

mewse posted:

Got the carbs synced correctly (with motor oil rather than water in the tubes) and then fought the idle mix screws for half an hour while continuously scorching my hands and now I've given up for the day. I think I'm going to get an angled screwdriver before trying again. I was using a flexible attachment for a mini screwdriver and it sucked dick

Ah hell, I forgot about that. Sorry about your fingers. Any sort of gloves will help a little bit.

I specifically bought a tiny screwdriver and it was still too big. Ended up using a screw bit from one of those interchangeable bit sets, holding it in place with a single finger from the bottom, and rotating with a pair of needle-nose pliers. You should only be making tiny adjustments anyway, so it's less obnoxious than it seems.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a motion pro right angle screwdriver designed for the purpose. The first time I used it, on a tidy clean Honda, the cable linking the handle to the bit head broke inside. Undeterred, I fixed it and tried it use it again, this time on a Harley, and the plastic handle spun on the haft.

So now I mostly use a bit by itself and get burned. Every bike with pilot screws easily accessible with a normal screwdriver makes the world a better place.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheNothingNew posted:

Any sort of gloves will help a little bit.

You would think after burning my hands for half an hour I would stop and think "you know, what would stop my hands from burning on this hot engine block" but no. Thinking not allowed.

Anyway I bought like $45 worth of screwdrivers and ended up using a bit extender I already had to tweak the idle mix. I finally understood that if you enrich the idle mix, it will help the engine rev up to the point that the pilot jets kick in.

So I think the engine is dialed in now. The accel from idle seems relatively normal vs the dip in revs I was experiencing.

Now I've only gotta do brakes, chain, tires, fairings, and forks

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jonny 290 posted:

Motivational pic: saw this streetbeater ninja behind work today. I dig it

It never ceases to amaze me how good the EX250 looks barebones like that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's really dramatic when they're side by side. buddy pic from the other day

Yeah i know, i didnt block his plate on the 1st pic. Anyways. Theirs is way cooler.

His bar setup is interesting; no drill, just single bolt through the each of the lower of the two holes for the bolts that anchor the stock risers to the top triple.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 22, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

eeeesh that subframe

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's a 500 isn't it? Seat looks stock

mewse
May 2, 2006

With the motor squared away I want to finish the rest of the bike asap.

I put in a big order to Fortnine up here in canada for tires, brake pads, chain, sprockets, fork seals, and some small parts.

There's something going on with the rear brakes because I saw brake fluid, so I've ordered new brake lines + a master cylinder from aliexpress, not sure how that will turn out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Waiting for mechanicals to show up, it's time to take a look at the fairings.

I wasn't sure what type or colour of paint to use, so I bought some white primer and white glossy spraypaint at canadian tire. Generic stuff for $6-7 a can.

I posted about this before but I have a rear fairing that still has the original decals and mounting tabs, so I was able to use my busted one as a test piece, it came out OK:

It does look a bit whiter than the original but it looks worse in the photo than in IRL.

Here's a comparison to painted vs non-painted:

SO, with a good idea of how to paint these fuckers the big hurdle is repairing the cracks. The unpainted rear fender above has a broken tab that should be a pretty easy fix, but both front fairings are super hosed up around the turn signal assemblies:

And the obligatory PO attempted repair jobs:

So #1 primary concern is that large piece that's broken right off the left side fairing. I've been internally debating what to do about that for a while but after watching a bunch of cafe racer / restoration youtubes I wanna do a fiberglass patch on the inside to strengthen it up. I got a fiberglass repair kit at Canadian Tire to do that.

I didn't really want to do fiberglass today, but wanted to start prepping these pieces for paint (eventually). First step will be removing those hideous red decals.

Left side easy:

Right side, what the gently caress who painted this:

If the paint is going to come off in giant flakes why am I even bothering peeling the vinyl:

I feel better

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh man I finally found this page on the ninja250 wiki. I think the page must have been renamed because all the internal links are broken.

This is so helpful for me to figure out the weird quirks of this 86-87 model. I just ordered a used ninja 500 shock from ebay.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Those repainted panels look really nice. The original white is probably faded somewhat after 30+ years.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks, I'm really happy how it turned out and I'm really excited that I have a plan to fix the fairings finally. They were one of the parts that depressed me the most about the bike because replacements aren't available, but I think I can get them looking really nice and reinforce them structurally.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did a small bit of sanding to that badly painted fairing and got the JB-weld out to start doing fairing repairs. I glued a tab back on to the rear fairing that I'm going to be using, and glued that big panel that broken off the left front fairing. Doesn't look good but will hopefully look OK when sanded and painted.

Tires+chain+sprockets should be arriving Tuesday, hoping to make lots of progress on the fairings before then.

Umm oh yeah I tried to repair the lens on one of the indicators and I made it worse by stripping a screw.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Received ebay kickstand (from 88-07 model) and ebay ninja 500 rear shock.

Bolted the kickstand on the bike, now I have a kickstand with the tab to kick it out. Nice. Haven't tried collapsing the center stand to check clearance yet.

Wet sanded first coat of primer on left rear fairing, put down another coat.

JB welded some more stuff: right front fairing, a crack I missed in the left front fairing, a tiny crack in the left rear (the one I'm currently painting), and the indicator lens I accidentally dropped.

They tried to deliver my tires + other stuff today but I was sleeping :lol: I'm on vacation ok

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bike has developed a new problem

It ain't got no wheels.

- Removed front wheel, changed tire
- Removed rear wheel, changed tire
- Swapped rear sprocket
- Swapped front sprocket

I have to figure out how to swap the brake pads. Going to go pressurize the new tires right now.

Oh I decided on Kenda K671 tires because they were cheap and they seemed better for the highway than the soft pirelli mt75

mewse
May 2, 2006

Front wheel is holding pressure, back wheel is leaking air along the bead, presumably because I mangled the rim while changing tires

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Noooooooooooo.

Are you sure the bead's just not seated properly?

mewse
May 2, 2006

When I got the front tire off I sprayed some oil on a paper towel and ran it along the inside of the rim where the seal is. It came away black and I'm not surprised that's the wheel that got a good seal. I think I made a small burr in the rear with my tire spoons and then I skipped cleaning the track because I'm a dummy and I did so many different things today that my whole body is sore (also had to repair washing machine this morning).

I'll pull the valve stem again and check the rim more closely, just not today.

e: service manual says oil is bad for the tires and to use soap+water, welp

mewse fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 2, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

The chain was such a mess. It seemed loose but PO had the adjusters set to maximum (one of them with a bent af screw). The front sprocket had a fuckton of play in it, probably original. Took me forever to figure out how the lock plate worked for the front sprocket, but finally a lightbulb went off and I got it mounted. Should probably consult the service manual a bit more.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kenda 671s are great tires, way better than the price would have you believe. They wear evenly, are plenty sticky for moderate to a little aggressive riding, and do just fine in the wet. I've even done hardpacked dirt and gravel at 40 mph and felt fine. They do lose some grip on really cold wet road lines and tar snakes. Also they age a little fast, but if you ride a decent amount that won't be a problem.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Kenda 671s are great tires, way better than the price would have you believe. They wear evenly, are plenty sticky for moderate to a little aggressive riding, and do just fine in the wet. I've even done hardpacked dirt and gravel at 40 mph and felt fine. They do lose some grip on really cold wet road lines and tar snakes. Also they age a little fast, but if you ride a decent amount that won't be a problem.

Really glad to hear it, was worried I'd be criticized for not getting the pirellis.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Good news: rear tire is seated properly and holding air now.

Bad news: chain adjusters are fuuuuucked, right one is bent and screw is stripped, left one screw is seized

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mewse posted:

Good news: rear tire is seated properly and holding air now.

Bad news: chain adjusters are fuuuuucked, right one is bent and screw is stripped, left one screw is seized

Cut the right one off to get it out. Then put in a new bolt of the same size. Penetrating fluid + heat for the other.

mewse
May 2, 2006

builds character posted:

Cut the right one off to get it out. Then put in a new bolt of the same size. Penetrating fluid + heat for the other.

This is good advice but I'm still working on those bastards.

The brake lines from China came in so I started work on those. The brake fluid out of the rear wasn't the bright red colour I was expecting, so I don't know what was leaking before. I'm putting the new brake lines on anyway because they're braided stainless steel rather than whatever is on there as stock. Was struggling to get the new pads in the calipers when I gave up for the day.

Getting the rear shock swapped is gonna be a pain in the rear end due to access to the fasteners, at least it's just a unbolt/rebolt job tho rather than screwing around with all these fluids..

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there some special kind of brake fluid that's bright red? It's usually pale yellowish when new and orange/brown when it's old and worn out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Is there some special kind of brake fluid that's bright red? It's usually pale yellowish when new and orange/brown when it's old and worn out.

No, I just don't know what I'm doing and I assumed the bright red fluid was brake fluid. It showed up on the left hand side of the bike near the foot peg, kinda below the coolant reservoir but the coolant was never red so I don't know what the crap. Maybe I bled on it.

When I drained the brake fluid today it was that dirty amber colour.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
So it's not coolant, it's not oil, it's not the brake fluid that's currently in it.

Does the ninja 250 have a hydraulic clutch? I'm loving stumped otherwise, maybe it's the blood of a small child that the PO sacrificed to try to get the bike running.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What does the fluid smell like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll bet it's shock oil.