Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kind of like how hadrosaurus and anatotitan got rolled into the edmontosaurus family when they recognized them as subspecies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Species, not subspecies. :eng101: The names we popularly know dinosaurs by, like Tyrannosaurus, is the genus, which is one step above species. As a modern example the genus Canis includes among other things all species of wolves and jackals, for example Canis lupus, the grey wolf. In the same way Tyrannosaurus is the genus and Tyrannosaurus rex is a species within that genus. Of course it all gets a bit fuzzy when all you've got is fossils, and so sometimes one genus gets reassigned as a species under another genus, or a species gets to be its own genus.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 2, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like to drive the Jeep around and feed my dinosaur friends :3:

I'm kinda afraid to move on to the next island. I like my calm chill parks.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

precision posted:

I like to drive the Jeep around and feed my dinosaur friends :3:

I'm kinda afraid to move on to the next island. I like my calm chill parks.

Youre right, after getting good on the later islands i wish all the islands had disaster storms

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, I impulse bought this for PS4 over the weekend. I'm enjoying it, but it really needs some audio cues to inform me when things like research is completed, or a fossil hunting expedition returned.

Also, my ceratosaurs ate a visitor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've noticed that a ton of theropods seem to be lacking their pubic bones. I guess masrani got a little prudish about dinosaurs with big naughty protrusions.

Why wouldn't they just move the nublar dinosaurs to sorna? They already decided to unceremoniously kill off all the dino wildlife on that island and while it is also volcanic it is much larger than nublar and would be able to better handle an eruption.

And for that matter just how small is nublar that it can have it's entire ecosystem threatened by a single volcano? There are volcanic archipelagos that support plenty of wildlife out there. Obviously they don't have animals as big as dinosaurs but islands that are big enough to support vast jungles and greenery don't tend to explode entirely when the volcano erupts.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Man you'd think Isle Sorna would of had a wildcard conditions where you have to deal with wild dinosaurs occasionally trying to break into your park or just wandering around.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

U.T. Raptor posted:

For example, Dracorex and Stygimoloch are almost certainly not real species, they're stages Pachycephalosaurus goes through as it grows up.

Maybe. Jack horner has weird ideas about dinos and their natural evolution and defences. he is on record saying that Triceratops horns weren't for defense or a protective measure but a display for mating, "because having a defensive weapon on your had is a dumb thing" and ignores the fact that rinos are a thing

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I’m picking up my physical copy today. Any tips before I start playing?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tythas posted:

Maybe. Jack horner has weird ideas about dinos and their natural evolution and defences. he is on record saying that Triceratops horns weren't for defense or a protective measure but a display for mating, "because having a defensive weapon on your had is a dumb thing" and ignores the fact that rinos are a thing

That's really dumb. Having pokey things sticking out of your vulnerable bits is a pretty good idea, less bites that way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Especially when you consider that a T Rex would eat a triceratops via decapitation. Curling your head back so the crest covers your vulnerable neck and pointing your big spikes into a Rex makes sense.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Jack Horner is also the guy who is arguing that the T rex was a scavenger instead of an Apex predator with the fact of it's arms were so small that it couldn't\wouldn't run because if it fell it wouldn't be able to get back up.

Edit I have since learned that this theory was disproven

Tythas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 3, 2018

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tythas posted:

Jack Horner is also the guy who is arguing that the T rex was a scavenger instead of an Apex predator with the fact of it's arms were so small that it couldn't\wouldn't run because if it fell it wouldn't be able to get back up.

Edit I have since learned that this theory was disproven

As we all know, when emus fall over while decimating unwary tourists taking selfies they are unable to get back up due to the lack of arms.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just about everything in JP is way oversized. The brachiosaurs are easily twice the size they actually were. I think there was a Gallimimus in Fallen Kingdom, and it must've been ten feet tall. They made the Kronosaurus so big that it's easily the largest creature to ever exist in the JP universe.

Maybe all human characters are actually tiny.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Hey so I won a code from Frontier for the game, problem is it’s for Xbox, would anyone want it ?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

fit em all up in there posted:

Hey so I won a code from Frontier for the game, problem is it’s for Xbox, would anyone want it ?

If it’s still Up for grabs I will take it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Looks like they made a mistake and it's the deluxe edition for PC. If anyone wants it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I'd use it but I don't have PMs so I can't use it :v:

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

fit em all up in there posted:

Looks like they made a mistake and it's the deluxe edition for PC. If anyone wants it.

I'd love it if it's available!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the first Island for like ten hours and didn’t like this game...started on the second island and I understand the loop now and enjoying it. Just wish I could unlock dinosaurs easier I still only have 1 carnivore

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just about everything in JP is way oversized. The brachiosaurs are easily twice the size they actually were. I think there was a Gallimimus in Fallen Kingdom, and it must've been ten feet tall. They made the Kronosaurus so big that it's easily the largest creature to ever exist in the JP universe.

Not as much as you might think.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Warbadger posted:

As we all know, when emus fall over while decimating unwary tourists taking selfies they are unable to get back up due to the lack of arms.
It's been suggested that if a Tyrannosaurus fell over while running (or walking fast, there's controversy over whether they could properly run) there's a good chance it would be severely injured or even die just due to its scale. However, if that's the case I would think they would simply not fall very often, because if you die when you do that's a hell of an evolutionary pressure for learning to stay on your feet. :v: Wikipedia also makes the point that giraffes are susceptible to this risk too.

SirDrone posted:

Man you'd think Isle Sorna would of had a wildcard conditions where you have to deal with wild dinosaurs occasionally trying to break into your park or just wandering around.
I just wish the dino AI was better so it could actually support "wild" dinosaurs. I wanna make a bigass nature preserve/safari (like you could in Operation Genesis) with a mix of different herbivores and carnivores.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 3, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Still think a lot of those are off. Look at this cap from the original JP. The characters are dwarfed by the brachiosaur, and theyr'e still 50 feet away from it. If Grant went up next to it, he'd barely come up to it's ankle.

And the Kronosaur in Fallen Kingdom, this thing is basically bigger than a blue whale, when in reality it was about three times smaller than a blue, at about 30 feet long.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The kronosaurus is far too big, but I don't think the Brachiosaurus necessarily is. It's difficult to account for perspective (doesn't help that it's heavily affected by focal length) but by the pics in my previous post on the subject they look about the same to me.

e: I wonder if the scale is actually consistent from shot to shot. It looks bigger in the closeup.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There really isn't any herd behaviour at all in this game is there? Sure same-species gatherings happen, but otherwise the specimens just walk around on their own. It's no wonder predatory dinosaurs have such an easy time killing herbivores; they don't stick together, so your ceratosaurus will just crush anything it comes across. Meanwhile, velociraptors don't hunt in packs which is like the opposite of how they should act.

"They're not moving in herds. They don't move in herds."

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah it's a real shame. All it would take is some better AI scripting, but I don't have high hopes that they'll change it, and they don't expose it for modding.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I wish people would stop mentioning the pile of poo poo operation genesis when talking about this superior jurassic park game

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

To be fair rhinos are currently dying out because of the defensive weapon on their head, so maybe it really is a dumb thing.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

HORMELCHILI posted:

I wish people would stop mentioning the pile of poo poo operation genesis when talking about this superior jurassic park game
It did do dinosaur behavior better. You could just unleash your dinosaurs Site B style and they would form groups, move in herds, the predators would hunt but not go killbot murder crazy.

They did have a weird tendency to slowly migrate southwest though which was annoying.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That sounds rad. I'd love to set up a dino safari or something.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
like i posted earlier via a weird quirk of the game engine you can use bins to make sections of footpath passable to visitors but not dinos, and have a path that leads through an enclosure full of small docile herbivores, like a petting zoo

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I bought the physical PS4 version, I see that there is a bundle of Dino’s from the digital deluxe version for $11. Are they worth that price?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Hugs

Viridiant posted:

That sounds rad. I'd love to set up a dino safari or something.
In JPOG I used to split the island into a few giant themed paddocks based on locations and time periods and have the Land Rovers (or balloons if there were large predators) go through them. I did have carnivore feeders in there to manage herbivore attrition but it was perfectly cool that sometimes they'd munch down a herbivore instead of a cow. It was cool to have all these herbivore herds and a Tyrannosaurus coexisting.

I do wanna add that JPOG was actually a pretty shallow game, more so than this, because reminiscing about what it did better easily makes it sounds better than it was. Loved it at the time though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Elukka posted:

I do wanna add that JPOG was actually a pretty shallow game, more so than this, because reminiscing about what it did better easily makes it sounds better than it was. Loved it at the time though.
Yeah you could make it deeper by messing with the files to get rid some of the annoying pop cap quirks and it still does from what I understand has a big modding community.

I also liked how you could plant two different kinds of plants (Cheaper modern day plants or ancient cloned plants)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I always wondered what grass would do to dinosaurs digestion.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Elukka posted:

Hugs

In JPOG I used to split the island into a few giant themed paddocks based on locations and time periods and have the Land Rovers (or balloons if there were large predators) go through them. I did have carnivore feeders in there to manage herbivore attrition but it was perfectly cool that sometimes they'd munch down a herbivore instead of a cow. It was cool to have all these herbivore herds and a Tyrannosaurus coexisting.

It was a shallow game w/r/t park building, but the dino AI was just good enough to make it a dinosaur zen sandbox game. They'd wander around and do a convincing enough job at being neat animals that it was fun to watch and that gave a ton replay value. Just look at the decade of extensive modding focused on the dinos contrasted with basically nobody spending time revamping the park building side.

This game, I'd argue is a little deeper on the park building side (though not very deep), but tragically shallow on the dinosaur side. I don't think the game has any replay value as it stands right now, which is a shame.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 7, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ijyt posted:

I always wondered what grass would do to dinosaurs digestion.

Grasses evolved in the late Cretaceous so grazing herbivores of that time like ceratopsians, ankylosaurs and hadrosaurs probably dealt with grass just fine, it's been found in dino coprolites.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought that grass or grass ancestors had appeared even earlier than the cretaceous as well?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Huh, guess I haven't kept up, learned something new today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

quite stretched out posted:

like i posted earlier via a weird quirk of the game engine you can use bins to make sections of footpath passable to visitors but not dinos, and have a path that leads through an enclosure full of small docile herbivores, like a petting zoo

Wait, what? Can you expand on that? That sounds amazing!

• Locked thread