Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I highly recommend Steve Brussatte's new book The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs its a really good fast read that relays paleontology in a the kind of universal way that everyone can appreciate it. Also lot of great stories I didn't know about like that the father of Paleobiology Baron Franz Nopcsa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Nopcsa_von_Fels%C5%91-Szilv%C3%A1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

achillesforever6 posted:

I highly recommend Steve Brussatte's new book The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs its a really good fast read that relays paleontology in a the kind of universal way that everyone can appreciate it. Also lot of great stories I didn't know about like that the father of Paleobiology Baron Franz Nopcsa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Nopcsa_von_Fels%C5%91-Szilv%C3%A1s

I’m not sure how reading this book will bring me closer to having a real Jurassic Park in real life :confused:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure how reading this book will bring me closer to having a real Jurassic Park in real life :confused:
It won't but its cool reading books from paleontologists that are reaching prominence that are apart of the so called "Jurassic Park Generation" of which I tried to be a part of too until a little thing called "The GREs are a scam" and "Good Paleo Grad Schools only have enough money for one RA and apparently my 2.99 GPA isn't good enough for these elitists" hit me. Oh well kind of dodged a bullet since I can't handle giving dissertations or writing 1,000 page reports under a time limit. I'll just keep volunteering at the Carnegie and maybe one day I'll Jack Horner my way into Paleontology.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Trust me, my Palaeobiology degree is doing just what the bones at the NHM are - gathering dust.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ijyt posted:

Trust me, my Palaeobiology degree is doing just what the bones at the NHM are - gathering dust.
Yeah I'm friends with our museum's curator of Paleontology, guy has gone all over the Southern Hemisphere finding cool and awesome giant dinosaurs and he has assured me that Paleontology is much better as a hobby than a job these days. Doesn't help that there are no dinosaurs to find in Western PA, rocks are too old for them as is the issue with the Eastern Half of the US. Lotta trilobites and brachs though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I did at least get to volunteer for half a year so that was cool, started off picking out microfossils while the public got to gawp at us before they decided I was better suited helping digitise their frankly absurd collection.

It doesn’t help that you basically need to go the entire Bachelor > Master > PhD route to have a remote chance of getting a job, followed by waiting for whoever currently occupies the position to die.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sounds like you need John Hammond to extend your dig funding for another three years.

I've been rewatching Walking With Dinosaurs and it is still so awesome, innacuracies be damned. It's also neat to see how science marching on actually makes some of the mistakes in the show more forgivable. The episode with the Utahraptors in Europe makes no sense, until you find out that a currently unnamed dromaeosaurid found on the Isle of Wight is apparently roughly the same size as Utahraptor.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 8, 2018

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

ijyt posted:

It doesn’t help that you basically need to go the entire Bachelor > Master > PhD route to have a remote chance of getting a job, followed by waiting for whoever currently occupies the position to die.

Once they die is there a Battle Royal to find out who gets the position?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I too would like to know how to make a petting zoo

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Silver Falcon posted:

Wait, what? Can you expand on that? That sounds amazing!

there was some weird thing where if you put bins on both sides of the same tile of footpath it became impassable to dinosaurs but not guests, so you could replace a square of wall with a footpath and bins and have a way for visitors to enter dinosaur enclosures while keeping the dinos contained. i think from memory mostly it was just a neat quirk and the only real affect it had was making it easier to make the type of visitor who wants excitement happy because they got to be close to dinosaurs. there wasnt any visitor interaction really or anything though

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I assume you're talking about Operation Genesis? In that you could also just set herbivores free in the park, they'd kinda avoid people and not get too close like animals do, but they wouldn't enter any panic mode and the viewers would happily look at them instead of running away. Their behavior was pretty neat, when the park was closed they'd walk all over the visitor areas, but with people around they'd keep their distance.

I tried this in JWE and no matter what dinosaur it is it automatically triggers panic mode in both the dinosaur and the visitors.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ijyt posted:

I did at least get to volunteer for half a year so that was cool, started off picking out microfossils while the public got to gawp at us before they decided I was better suited helping digitise their frankly absurd collection.

Yeah, hearing "be prepared to do your job hunting in Eastern Europe and Asia if you want to maybe land something the same decade you leave grad school" in my freshman year put the brakes on my nascent paleontology career pretty quick. I love dinos but not that much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/giant-dinosaur-bones-get-archeologists-rethinking-triassic-period/ar-AAzQfyi

Gigantism in dinosaurs apparently started in the late Triassic.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Elukka posted:

It's been suggested that if a Tyrannosaurus fell over while running (or walking fast, there's controversy over whether they could properly run) there's a good chance it would be severely injured or even die just due to its scale. However, if that's the case I would think they would simply not fall very often, because if you die when you do that's a hell of an evolutionary pressure for learning to stay on your feet. :v: Wikipedia also makes the point that giraffes are susceptible to this risk too.

I just wish the dino AI was better so it could actually support "wild" dinosaurs. I wanna make a bigass nature preserve/safari (like you could in Operation Genesis) with a mix of different herbivores and carnivores.

Yeah, I mean the idea of a successful carnivore that grows to that sort of massive size being unable to take (or just easily avoid) a tumble is a bit odd. Imagine how long it took to grow from a football size hatching to the size of an adult and how many successful hunts (nevermind the more numerous unsuccessful ones), territorial fights, and mishaps the average animal would see in that time. It's hard to image the species being successful for millions of years if that were an issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just look at Allosaurus. Pretty much all of the fossil specimens they've discovered have shown a load of bone damage and microfractures, which paints the impression that these were extremely active predators that took a beating as they hunted. It would be pretty bad if an Allosaurus messed up its attack on a sauropod and instantly died.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just look at Allosaurus. Pretty much all of the fossil specimens they've discovered have shown a load of bone damage and microfractures, which paints the impression that these were extremely active predators that took a beating as they hunted. It would be pretty bad if an Allosaurus messed up its attack on a sauropod and instantly died.
One of the coolest dinosaur sites is around Vernal UT where its basically just hundreds of Allosaurus that have died there; the new paleo prof at my college (of course he started just a year after I graduated which meant my undergrad was in trilobites :argh:) has been working on why and it might have to do with the local water chemistry of that area being toxic and creating a predator trap.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Could also be an oasis during the dry season in the Morrison formation that caused that. The Allosaurus population drives off the herbivores and the theropods turn to cannibalism and then mass starvation or dehydration as the water dries up/turns poison from stagnation.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
So, I was thinking about buying the game. How good do you guys think it is?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

ProZocK posted:

So, I was thinking about buying the game. How good do you guys think it is?

If you really want to run a jp theme park its worth it. If your leaning to being on the fence either wait for a price drop or see what updates they bring out.

Its a very shallow game at this time but has potential.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat, I've been looking at the fallen kingdom dlc and what did they do to the Allosaurus? I don't even know what kind of theropod they were going for with that one but it doesn't look anything like the actual creature. Apart from having the lacrimal crests over the eyes pretty much nothing about the Jurassic World model looks anything like an Allosaurus. The head is wrong, the tail is way too long proportionate to the shorter legs, and the whole creature looks too skinny while simultaneously being too drat big. Its in the size range of Saurophaganax or Epanterias, but it still doesn't look like an allosaurid.

It's my favorite dinosaur I get to sperg about this, especially since walking with dinosaurs already made the perfect Allosaurus representation.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nothing in Jurassic Park/World is a dinosaur etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Henry Wu sucks at his job

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no one has ever made the perfect dino representation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no one has ever made the perfect dino representation.

The movie Jurassic Park made the most perfect representation of a T-Rex, and I don’t care what any alleged “scientists” or so-called “real world scientific facts” say to the contrary. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want my beautiful apex predator big boys to be pretty and have hatchet jaws

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

quote:

Hi everyone,

We hope you're all having a wonderful day.

We'd like to start with saying that we are incredibly grateful for having such a passionate and enthusiastic community. It's been a pleasure to read everyone's Jurassic journey so far, with people achieving platinum trophies or sharing their favorite dinosaur screenshots with us.

We've also received feedback regarding certain elements of the game, one notable example being the sizing of specific species of dinosaurs. Initially we stated that addressing these issues wouldn't be possible due to technical difficulties, including potential clipping/gameplay issues within the environment that the dinosaur interacts with, potential save game issues, and the adjustment of hundreds of connected/associated animations per species. However, the community have spoken and our amazing dev team have been hard at work to investigate these issues and look for solutions. We're pleased to be able to confirm that in the coming update, the team will be making some much-requested adjustments to the dinosaur sizes, while at the same time keeping true to the Jurassic dinosaurs which has always been our aim.

The changes we are making are as follows:

Scale down the Ceratosaurus from 9.6m (current) to 9m
Scale down the Tyrannosaurus Rex from 14m (current) to 13.5m
Scale up the Spinosaurus from 13.7m (current) to 15m (making her taller but less bulky than the T-Rex)
Scale up the Giganotosaurus from 12m (current) to 13.5m
We apologise for the time it's taken to confirm these details. However, we feel it is vitally important that we triple check that any new additions are achievable before announcing them to the world. We hope that these changes better address the concerns regarding dinosaur size and look forward to seeing the your reaction once the free update goes live.

We've received a lot of kind words from you with the faith that Frontier will continue to support Jurassic World Evolution with new and exciting content. It's heart-warming to see comments with that level of trust in the development team, and it's absolutely what we will be doing. The team are hard at work planning future content for you to enjoy and we'll be revealing all of the details of the first update in a special livestream with the developers, of which we'll be sharing the time and date this week!

Thank you again for your patience, feedback, and understanding as we continue to work hard on Jurassic World Evolution; we're excited about what the future holds and definitely have lots more in store for you!

<3 Bo (Peep)

from Frontiers community manager

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Just a heads up, there is suppose to be a twitch stream today about patch 1.4. They are going to show all the new things it is going to add to the game. I think its suppose to start around 2pm

https://steamcommunity.com/games/JurassicWorldEvolution/announcements/detail/1690426356202514006

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tythas posted:

from Frontiers community manager

Were people really up in arms over dinosaur sizes lmao

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deakul posted:

Dino nerds are hardcore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
#NotMyAllosaurus

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

Deakul posted:

My brother directed me to the Reddit forum before the game had even come out and people there were going nuts about it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
#ImWithHerbivores

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
#MegalodonToo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

New free update coming soon, including a bunch of stuff like day/night cycles, dino behavior changes, and larger feeders that require less restocking.

Also there’s a paid update they’re announcing later in the week.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/456305-Important-Update-1-5-coming-soon!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
They do move in herds!

That update will probably get me to pick it up again. The other major dinosaur behavior thing I'd like to see is to get them to proactively take care of their goddamn needs. A dinosaur that prefers plains should not be stressed out because it's stuck in a forest because it's too dumb to move onto the adjacent plain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think part of that might be a ratio thing - if the enclosure doesn’t have a high enough percentage of plains vs forest, the dinosaur will freak out no matter where it’s standing.

I ran into that on the tiny night-time island when trying to put a T-Rex in a small enclosure, if I put one tree too few overall in the pen then the Rex would freak out and smash down the fences even if it was standing in a cluster of trees.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

The first expansion is called "The Secrets of Doctor Wu" and costs a whopping $15 for the following:

quote:

We are happy to announce that our first major campaign expansion, Jurassic World Evolution: Secrets of Dr. Wu, is coming to Jurassic World Evolution on November 20, 2018. New missions, locations, and dinosaurs will offer a previously unseen and intriguing side to the story!

Purchasing Jurassic World Evolution: Secrets of Dr. Wu unlocks new campaign missions, putting players in control of two hidden research facilities on Isla Muerta and Isla Tacaño, where Dr. Henry Wu (voiced by BD Wong) is developing a new generation of hybrid dinosaurs. Players will confront an elevated level of chaos and threat caused by Wu’s machinations, as they work alongside the doctor and discover new dig sites, facility upgrades, and research opportunities.

The expansion pack introduces the herbivore Olorotitan and the venomous Troodon to Jurassic World Evolution, together with three new Wu-created hybrids: the Stegoceratops, Ankylodocus and Spinoraptor. Progressing through this campaign unlocks new upgrades and research options that can be used throughout Jurassic World Evolution. This includes Indominus Rex’s unique camouflage gene, as seen in 2015’s Jurassic World movie.

The name sounds like an episode of the old Jonny Quest cartoon.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I'll give them credit for slapping 15 quid on 5 dinos and a slither of story content.

The free update may get me to give it another blast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Croc posted:

I'll give them credit for slapping 15 quid on 5 dinos and a slither of story content.

The free update may get me to give it another blast though.

:same:

• Locked thread