Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

This game is awesome, it looks so unbelievably good. The dinosaurs, the foliage, the weather, the architecture, everything is so spot on.
Just a few hours into the first island and really enjoying it, while the park management side of things is weaker, the dinosaur management and genetic engineering stuff is substantial. The ranger teams and choppers is an awesome way to bring you into the game and it makes planning the park a lot more fun having to consider how you yourself are going to drive around it, plus the jeep feels great to drive.
The ability to take pictures of your dinosaurs as a guy in the jeep whenever you want is fantastic.

This game is a solid foundation and I cant wait to play more of it, hopefully it does really well because it has a lot of potential for expansions.

My wishlist of features:
1. A decoration category such as benches statues fountains etc. doesnt have to be as crazy as planet coaster but some filler props would be nice.
2. Be able to see the view from the perspective of the viewing galleries
3. A “screensaver” mode that pauses time progression and simulation but leaves the park running and active so you can enjoy watching your park work without falling behind on management.
Best case scenario would be having the ability to place cameras around the park wherever you wanted that it could automatically cycle through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Pharnakes posted:

Its the total lack of pen design other than grass, trees and some water that's really put me off. I'm down for beautiful dinosaurs but I need to be able to put them in painstakingly designed exhibits. 10 seconds with 2 brushes doesn't cut it by a long shot.

I haven't played, but this is what I find objectionable. I'm pretty sure the zoo tycoon I played back in 2003 or so had pretty extensive pen customization options.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm having trouble with the controls. They glitch and permanent scroll in the direction I went on the keyboard. It's "reset" as soon as I press that direction, but it's still frustrating.

I'll try a controller instead. Just wondering if this is a common problem.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I haven't played, but this is what I find objectionable. I'm pretty sure the zoo tycoon I played back in 2003 or so had pretty extensive pen customization options.

I was really worried about this at first because I would spend hours with getting everything just perfect in Zoo Tycoon 2, but it doesn't end up being a big deal because theres always other stuff to do. You're always managing something, dealing with some issue, completing a mission or contract, researching, sending out expeditions, etc. The tools we're given are simple and fast but do look very good.

Nothing is automated, so you have a lot more hands on to do, vs Zoo Tycoon where you place staff and then they do everything. Granted, you don't have to worry about trash, poop, or washing animals either.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have been tooling around. Its nice, relatively simple, but still with a lot of depth... and a lot of dead dinosaurs cause I like seeing the little ones get eaten for my amusement.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I’m on the second island, and I have to say, velociraptors don’t mess around. I must have built a bad cage, because neither the electric fence or the reinforced one could keep them from getting out. I would catch them and put them back and repair the fence, and they would get out again. They even broke out at the same stretch of fence every time. At least I got to see a lot of people get eaten by raptors.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I’m on the second island, and I have to say, velociraptors don’t mess around. I must have built a bad cage, because neither the electric fence or the reinforced one could keep them from getting out. I would catch them and put them back and repair the fence, and they would get out again. They even broke out at the same stretch of fence every time. At least I got to see a lot of people get eaten by raptors.

They tested your fences for weaknesses.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Add more fence for the buggers.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I also had one of those not-pachycepahlosaurs escape an enclosure, but that because he wigged out from me not feeding him.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Sky Shadowing posted:

They tested your fences for weaknesses.

They remember.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

You could try double fencing, i built a second enclosure around the creation lab on the first island so when i release a carnivore it cant immediately beeline to eat one of my herbies

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Donnerberg posted:

I'm having trouble with the controls. They glitch and permanent scroll in the direction I went on the keyboard. It's "reset" as soon as I press that direction, but it's still frustrating.

I'll try a controller instead. Just wondering if this is a common problem.
Yeah for me nothing is working with keyboard which sucks because I really want to rotate these buildings and find my dino stats

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

population and social group limits are pretty much hard limits.

Cause DINOS GONNA FIGHT if they go over. I put 4 of the meat eaters together and they are 3 for social, and fights started breaking out between the formerly lovey dovey dinos

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

HORMELCHILI posted:

You could try double fencing, i built a second enclosure around the creation lab on the first island so when i release a carnivore it cant immediately beeline to eat one of my herbies

I do that with my creation lab to, then I dart it and send it to the carnivore inclosure. Saves money on having to build a second lab near the begininning.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I tried this game but I think I want it to be good more than I'm actually enjoying it. If Frontier gives it some tender loving patch care I'll pick it up again, but in the meantime, thank you Steam for letting me refund.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is there no sandbox mode? Are they adding one in a later patch?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

When you price food and clothing, are you pricing each individual item? To me it seems like I'm pricing everything at once even though each product cost is drastically different. Look, I'm still running a business, people.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

Double fencing seems against the spirit of Jurassic Park, but I do airlock style gates. I don't trust the rangers to not let anything out by accident. And I tranq the poo poo out of the raptors when there's a storm warning. It delays the problem since they're still stressed out and go apeshit when they wake, but at least they're more manageable when I use choppers to wake one at a time.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Why is there no sandbox mode? Are they adding one in a later patch?

Isla Nublar is sandbox mode with infinite money and no departmental heads. It unlocks after the second island, but you can get it by just messing around and doing everything on the first island.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 13, 2018

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Donnerberg posted:

Isla Nublar is sandbox mode with infinite money and no departmental heads. It unlocks after the second island, but you can get it by just messing around and doing everything on the first island.

It's a shame though because the map is still small

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Tim Whatley posted:

When you price food and clothing, are you pricing each individual item? To me it seems like I'm pricing everything at once even though each product cost is drastically different. Look, I'm still running a business, people.

1 individual item per store per item

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

This game is definaetly not worth the price of admission.

That being said if you're me and do no give a single gently caress because you want to build a park full of dinosaurs and you want to make those dinosaurs happy this is extremely for you. If they add pack and herd behaviors this will be my perfect dinosaur zen garden that conspires at all times to murder me.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm loving it but I worshipped JPOG. I feel like it will get a lot more content and I'd love the same Workshop support as Planet Coaster but who knows with like IP rights and approvals and all that.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I played the hell out of Jurassic Park Operation Genesis back in the day. I mean, if Fdev is gonna ignore ED at least the game they ARE working on might be good...

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Its pretty shallow and probably not worth full price as it stands but im enjoying it and haven't gone beyond the first island yet.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I'm loving it but I worshipped JPOG. I feel like it will get a lot more content and I'd love the same Workshop support as Planet Coaster but who knows with like IP rights and approvals and all that.
You'd think Jimmy Buffet would love a video game tie in and have you create a virtual Margaritaville for your park

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Didn't realize this game was out, reading through this thread it seems to be about what I was expecting, but I did like Planet Coaster and loved Operation Genesis, so we'll see!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Game is good imo. Attention to details is super cute, and I'm having a lot of fun. Then again, the original Jurassic Park movie holds quite a lot of sentimental value for me, as it was the first movie I saw with friends on our own (told our moms we go swimming, instead sneaked into Jurassic Park...good times)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm kinda bummed out that the raptors don't team up to hunt, but I guess that would be asking wayyyyy too much.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm kinda bummed out that the raptors don't team up to hunt, but I guess that would be asking wayyyyy too much.

That would be a good patch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Even the second movie was awesome, I remember freaking out when the T Rex eats a fool and turns the waterfall the team is hiding behind red. I was like ten at the most so I'm probably exactly this game's target demographic, heh.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I'm enjoying it but had a bug on the first island that made me so mad. I was wondering why I couldn't get a perfect 5 star rating and the welfare tab doesn't exactly help too much other than tell you there is a problem. Turned out one of my dinos glitched through a fence and was sitting by edge of the map staring into space. I brought him home and gave him a good meal and bingo.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
A helpful thing I've noticed today: Save up on some of the valuable fossils before you move to another island. You keep those in your inventory, so you can start with a lot of extra money.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gonna go full :spergin: for a minute here.

So, visitors don't mean poo poo. They're literally generated by booths you put in, as in... they'll spawn from those booths.

The animals aren't affected by the entire enclosure they're in, they're limited to a radius around them... so a full Site B sandbox mode would not work unless they overhauled that system.

No herding mechanics.

No pack mechanics.

Every dino-fight is apparently a fight to the death where one of them has to die.

The department heads are tsundere as gently caress and I hate it, they'll literally sabotage the god damned park if you don't give them enough attention... who thought that was good gameplay?

This game has a severe lack of attention to detail as far as making the park and animals feel like actual living things... but the dinosaurs look great and are animated well and yet the rest of the park looks so corporate and samey and I hate it, the JW aesthetic loving blows hard.

Easy refund for me, I really don't see them improving any of these things cause it's a lot of work but I might check it out again in a few months and if it drops down to :20bux: I'll definitely get it again.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Deakul posted:

Gonna go full :spergin: for a minute here.

So, visitors don't mean poo poo. They're literally generated by booths you put in, as in... they'll spawn from those booths.

The animals aren't affected by the entire enclosure they're in, they're limited to a radius around them... so a full Site B sandbox mode would not work unless they overhauled that system.

No herding mechanics.

No pack mechanics.

Every dino-fight is apparently a fight to the death where one of them has to die.

The department heads are tsundere as gently caress and I hate it, they'll literally sabotage the god damned park if you don't give them enough attention... who thought that was good gameplay?

This game has a severe lack of attention to detail as far as making the park and animals feel like actual living things... but the dinosaurs look great and are animated well and yet the rest of the park looks so corporate and samey and I hate it, the JW aesthetic loving blows hard.

Easy refund for me, I really don't see them improving any of these things cause it's a lot of work but I might check it out again in a few months and if it drops down to :20bux: I'll definitely get it again.

I have had multiple nonlethal dino fights. You may be making your dinos far too deadly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AtomikKrab posted:

I have had multiple nonlethal dino fights. You may be making your dinos far too deadly.

Could be, it just felt like whenever I had a raptor attack another dinosaur it would kill them instantly.
And all of my carnivores were just perpetually pissed off and bloodthirsty.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I personally don't mind the problems with fighting / eating behaviour because putting carnivores and herbivores into the same enclosure never occurred to me. I have some Ceratos and Dilophos in one area and they have territorial fights, which is nice. Not physical fights but the Ceratos scare the Dilophos away from the lake, they then hide in the forest and only come out when they're thirsty.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Played a couple of hours of this today and I already feel like I've done everything it has to offer.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Deakul posted:

Could be, it just felt like whenever I had a raptor attack another dinosaur it would kill them instantly.
And all of my carnivores were just perpetually pissed off and bloodthirsty.

Basically if you are upping a dinos attack stat (most rating in general, people like the ones with mean claws.) more likely to kill other dinos, especially if you neglect the defense stat that keeps dinos from dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

sicDaniel posted:

I personally don't mind the problems with fighting / eating behaviour because putting carnivores and herbivores into the same enclosure never occurred to me. I have some Ceratos and Dilophos in one area and they have territorial fights, which is nice. Not physical fights but the Ceratos scare the Dilophos away from the lake, they then hide in the forest and only come out when they're thirsty.

It more hurts the sandbox mode for me than anything else, loved Site B in JPOG.

• Locked thread