Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hm. Uh... USE TALISMAN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Blue was fantastic and not at all where I expected that to be going at that point. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The only hint I remember about this is "The fruits add." Add how, or add to what, I don't know. If they added colors, then we'd just need the lime to convert black to green, but that seems overly simplistic. We smell alternating bananas and strawberries, so maybe we're meant to add those two together. Assuming the items represent a number line, that'd make bananas 1 and strawberries 3, so our choice should be 4, the peach.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
That is a crazy brutal conclusion! Wonder if anyone who ever got it replayed the game... surely not.

I'm truly awful with memory and puzzles but does the fruit hint apply to us yet?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I cannot believe it actually does that. I love it. :allears:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Granted, you could use the cipher to at least warp to the start of Act 3.

Or, you know, reload your savefile that you ought to have made before entering the Stuff of Madness.

Sordas Volantyr fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 20, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Granted, you could use the cipher to at least warp to the start of Act 3.

Or, you know, reload your savefile that you ought to have made before entering the Stuff of Madness.
Yeah, you can't save inside a PoP, so the obvious response would just be to quit and reload. The game doesn't wipe your save or anything (that would be far too cruel). You'd have to actually save your file again to overwrite it, which should be an obvious no-no after the game starts over.

A small hint with respect to the fruit puzzle: We must select two of the items, just in case that wasn't clear.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Oh, oh, we learned that something isn't a fruit. What was it...

Edit: nothing! Nothing is not a fruit. So the hambone and...nothing.

Domus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 20, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We never actually used the Lady's 9-7-1 combo, did we? If the six options are numbers arranged in ascending order starting with zero ("nothing is not a fruit" and a ham bone definitely is not a fruit), then peach + lime would be 9...

This also potentially meshes with Persephone's cryptic fruit hints... she says "base six" (again suggesting numbers 0-5) and then "sweet fruit, vile fruit, base fruit." Unless there are more fruit based puzzles ahead, peach and lime seem to correspond best with "sweet fruit" and "vile fruit" (or so some people say; limes are fuckin delicious.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What you do with limes is make lime curd. And then mix that with plain yogurt.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What you do with limes is eat the limes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You're all wrong. You put the lime in the coconut and you drink 'em both together.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Okay, let's see what we can do with these clues.

The "base six" clue implies that each fruit corresponds to a number from 0-5, and "nothing is not a fruit" implies that the bone is 0. I don't recall any other hints to do with ordering fruit, but hopefully the fact that they're "in a definite order" means that we can just assign them from left to right - ham bone = 0, banana = 1, apple = 2, strawberry = 3, peach = 4, and lime = 5.

If we add the alternating fruits we get 4, but that would just be a peach and we're selecting two fruits. The fact that the first fruit is 1 makes me suspect that we're instead meant to take it as a two-digit number - banana-strawberry = 13 (base 6), or 9 in decimal.

There are several ways to add two numbers to get 9, but just one which uses only single-digit base 6 numbers - 4 + 5. Any other sum would use 6 or above. So hopefully all we need to do is take the peach and lime.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: The Stuff Of Madness, Never Meet Your Heroes
In which, at last and unfortunately, we encounter the Wizard Moraziel.

Zandar posted:

Okay, let's see what we can do with these clues.
Congratulations on being exactly right! And also on being goddamn crazy to have figured that out.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Poor Moraziel. He's just a well meaning sap doing his best in an impossible situation. We really should have been nicer.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
So the Staff gives us power of the Lady, which is growing things, life, earth, etc, but only a mage can turn that power into a weapon.

...we've used elemental magic before, let's do this.

Also, the High Priest is...surprised? that we didn't talk to Moraziel first. But the only way to talk to him is with the Staff. There's definitely some kind of Eternal Return/Recurrence happening here.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 20, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet we're the Mad One.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Weren't we a simple peasant lad/ladette from a flyspeck village originally? How the gently caress have we even heard of base six, let alone know how to figure stuff out in it?

...how do we know what bananas smell like, come to that? Was Weith or wherever known for its plantations? I suppose we've been through various exotic markets etc., but even so.

...and chocolate cake. And I'll shut up now.

my immersion!

truly we are all mad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Robe posted:

Weren't we a simple peasant lad/ladette from a flyspeck village originally? How the gently caress have we even heard of base six, let alone know how to figure stuff out in it?

...how do we know what bananas smell like, come to that? Was Weith or wherever known for its plantations? I suppose we've been through various exotic markets etc., but even so.

...and chocolate cake. And I'll shut up now.

my immersion!

truly we are all mad

Exactly! It's craaaaaazy!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm betting the end result is we use the staff to cure the high priest of his semi-madness. Or we become the high priest after fighting him in a time warp situation.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Am I reading that correctly, that part of Moraziel's deal is that Weith Village is kept safe so long as it keeps feeding likely young heroes to the maze?

Persephone has merely been imprisoned; either she wasn't appropriate for the High Priest's needs for whatever reason, or what he does with Weith's heroes takes some time, or it'd already been done when we talked to her but wasn't obvious. Considering that she lacks our various accouterments of power (and presumably reached the moon by stealth and trickery instead of raw power), I suppose it's possible she just wasn't considered powerful enough for the High Priest's requirements.

The simplest "use" I can think of for a powerful hero here is to turn them mad and use them to extend the Mad One's dominion. One possible defense against that would be to rely on the Lady's protection, and hope that the High Priest, in channeling the Mad One's power, burns himself out (and goes mad in turn) before he can affect us.

I suppose it's also possible that the High Priest wants to use the Mad One to take on the other gods. Why rule the Earth when you can rule the Heavens? In which case we should be prepared for an attack against the Lady. What we'd do about that, I don't know.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Persephone has merely been imprisoned; either she wasn't appropriate for the High Priest's needs for whatever reason, or what he does with Weith's heroes takes some time, or it'd already been done when we talked to her but wasn't obvious. Considering that she lacks our various accouterments of power (and presumably reached the moon by stealth and trickery instead of raw power), I suppose it's possible she just wasn't considered powerful enough for the High Priest's requirements.

I think it's the last one. The bridge seemed really bummed to tell us about Persephone and although it seemed like a pretty nice bridge it was laying it on a bit thick for someone who's just stuck in prison.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Nakar posted:

Level Four: The Stuff Of Madness, Never Meet Your Heroes
In which, at last and unfortunately, we encounter the Wizard Moraziel.

Congratulations on being exactly right! And also on being goddamn crazy to have figured that out.

It's me, I'm the Mad One.

The main reason I guessed at a two-digit number was the "base six" clue, actually - there's no point in specifying a base if you're not going to go past single-digit numbers.

I guess the Archpriest's influence is why the Moon is a mad bureaucracy rather than full-on chaos. It also looks like we're probably not going to be taking the Mad One's influence out entirely, just dispersing it. The question is whether the MadMaze is also because of the Archpriest's influence.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zandar posted:

It's me, I'm the Mad One.

y u mad tho

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: The Stuff Of Madness, A Sacrifice For Sanity
In which our final confrontation with the Archpriest can go one of two ways. Well, one of two ways where we actually get out of it alive, anyhow.

NEXT TIME: Is MadMaze a good or bad game? A good game with bad game design, or a bad game with good game design? Is it even really an "online" game? What genre is it anyway? How can a game that an alleged million people played be so non-influential? And who is its biggest hater?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Hanging out in Rivendell forever seems like a pretty okay ending for our heroes. Good job, main character!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nakar posted:

And who is its biggest hater?

Plot twist, it was you all along! :aaa:

Good ending, though it's a shame the obvious sequel hook was never followed up. Thanks for a great LP, I'll look forward to the final thoughts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Huh, I would have thought there would have been a bigger payoff for Iggy. I thought it was cool when we got a companion but he doesn't really... do anything. I guess his hints during the final confrontation are kind of useful? Oh well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I didn't quite get "use the Staff to turn the High Priest's attack back against himself", but I feel like my other wild speculations earlier came pretty close to the mark. :v: Has there been anything previous to this suggesting that the Lady's power is associated with Earth? I had her pegged as a nature/plants-and-animals goddess, while our Earth magic has consistently been elemental earth. So that association in the final puzzle surprised me.

Thanks for showing off this game! It was a fun ride, and definitely the kind of thing that, if it weren't for the LP format, could easily be lost to history.

I wonder how much money Prodigy made off of MadMaze...and how much it cost them to produce?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I guess Iggy would've been a bigger presence in the undeveloped sequel.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for walking us through that game, i enjoyed it. this kind of LP is good history writing

pretty cool from iggy's perspective that he gets taken on a wild ride and now he gets to hang out in Witness Protection Heaven for... ever?

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Finally, Earth has a use :woop: Thanks for this great LP, super looking forward to the next update. It's been fascinating seeing this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nakar posted:

How can a game that an alleged million people played be so non-influential?
I notice you don't say anything about people playing it very long, which I suspect may hold the answer.

Either that or that's just the number of subscribers to Progidy and they didn't actually track how many people specifically played MadMaze.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I really like that ending, to be honest. It's not a total victory, but it's a victory.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My theory for its biggest hater is that it is Costikyan himself. By the definition credited to him, MadMaze isn't a game at all, as his definition of game is that it is a participatory form of art

quote:

in which the participants, termed Players, make decisions in order to manage resources through game tokens in pursuit of a goal

No tokens, no resources, and in a very real sense, no decisions. With no state tracked, MadMaze is a puzzlebook, not a game.

That seems pretty narrow—I've actually just wrapped up a replay of The Fool's Errand and 3 in Three, which are also very much in the puzzlebook vein, but some of the individual puzzles would count as games by this definition and the presentation of the game-spanning puzzles is a refreshing counterpoint to the horrifically arbitrary nature of a lot of the integrate-stuff-from-a-dozen-PoP puzzles posed here.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't like sequel hook endings in general, and I especially don't like a sequel hook that will never be followed up on. But this alone doesn't make a bad game bad.

Like ManxomeBromide said, this is a fine puzzlebook, (with the exception of the primes puzzle and the library card puzzle) but not a good video game. It has pointless filler, it doesn't use any network feature that might be interesting (Chat rooms, encountering other players in the maze, maybe user designed content), and I think the game's biggest flaw is that it doesn't store any state at all, which makes me wonder why this is on a computer at all, and it's not just an actual puzzlebook.

I can understand the service not coming up with the network features, because it's easy for me in 2018 to point to things that networking enables you to do. Having said that, the first and the last points feel to me like deliberate padding to rack up that connection bill (waste your time in the mazes for the first; and if you don't have all the hints you just don't pass what amounts to inventory checks). I can forgive the first point, but wasting people's time and money are definitively marks of a bad game.

I did enjoy most of the writing and the art, especially in the third chapter, before the MoM.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Thanks for the run of MadMaze! It's a cool look back at early videogame history.

Did the creators ever go on to make any other games?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

We've basically left out half the "fun" and 95% of the interactivity in that we didn't, as a thread, navigate and chart the maze itself. Arguably there is a state which is tracked and of great importance -- your actual location within the labyrinth. You may consider that filler, and certainly that is true to some extent, but mapping a dungeon is part of a time-honored tradition in gaming of this era. Around the same time you might be wandering out of Weith, you could be wandering around in Phantasy Star's first person maze, or mapping Destard in Ultima V, or the sewer in Eye of the Beholder. Even if there's no combat, the game play of being completely lost in a twisty passage, all alike (okay, not really twisty) would have been familiar and a reasonable part of a gamer's play time. You can certainly take it or leave it, but in the broader context of the time it's hardly out of place to have it make up a major element of the experience.

The act of exploration is surely something that needs to be part of the accounting of whether this was a "good" game or even a "game."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bad game design is still bad game design if players from the era are used to it, and of the games you listed, MadMaze has the dubious distinction of charging you for the minute for the privilege of getting lost in it, which is a really lovely thing to do.

Edit: Though I don't know if that was specifically designed to be that way, but I don't think the maze gameplay was an accident. Or the developers could just have been lazy and copied the gameplay of those other games, and lazy devs are also a mark of bad games.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

:shrug: That being said, it's not like "hey, this is a maze, you're gonna get lost in it, also we're charging you per the minute" is something which is hidden from the customer. I'm glad the industry moved on, but context is important, this is still a time when a lot of a person's experience with a video game may be from an arcade, which if nothing else is a study in finding ways to monetize time spent in ways that make EA lootboxes look like they're not trying hard enough to squeeze the customer. No one's gonna claim this needs to be put on the same plinth as Chrono Trigger or anything but to call it not a game seems a little unfair.

• Locked thread