Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zandar posted:

Obviously all names on the Moon of Madness must have the letters MAD in them, as seen in Nadia Thimbatool. Since Throckmorton only has M, its first name must have A and D, which means that the only possible name out of the choices given is Beadle. This cannot possibly be wrong.

Sounds legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zandar posted:

All I can think of at the moment is that the name Nadia Thimbatool is meant to be a hint at some relationship between first and last names on the moon, or a property that all full names have. I can't find anything, though, so I'll just guess based on a random thought I had while checking anagrams.

Obviously all names on the Moon of Madness must have the letters MAD in them, as seen in Nadia Thimbatool. Since Throckmorton only has M, its first name must have A and D, which means that the only possible name out of the choices given is Beadle. This cannot possibly be wrong.

This is crazy enough to work.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zandar posted:

Sounds plausible enough to me!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Domus posted:

But whoops, they're slightly mislabeled. They actually contain jellied petroleum. Napalm. Hijinks ensue.

Even when you aren't playing in what came to be known as the Zap style, everything—up to and including shoe polish—was a high explosive, horrifically toxic or mutagenic, or both.

quote:

Nadia Thimbatool

Names like this must be why we accidentally came up with inscriptions from the One Ring while trying to make up some magic words. That's definitely a name from West Mordor, there.

Given what we've seen so far, I have to wonder if this isn't a case like bribing the guard where the only thing that matters is that there is a signature. The game is, at this point, training us to lie to it sometimes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: A Test Of General Reasoning
In which we somehow "bluff" the Librarian by giving the correct answer (The Lady alone knows how we knew it), then get drafted to help conquer the world in the name of the Mad One whilst on a quest to do pretty much the exact opposite of that.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This ended up being pretty straightforward.

There are five countries, divided into two alliances. Triple Alliance of Middlemark, Occipotia, Suidemark. River Entente of Nosten, Ostania. The key ends up being the fact that Occipotia is NOT a naval power. The festival mentions all five countries obliquely: Corpolin being an admiral, means the country who failed to attend cannot be Occipotia. Middlemark and Nosten are mentioned by name, and more importantly the non-Occipotian nation mentioned last who hired a cavalry leader (Balit) makes the archery contingent the Occipotians. Since the naval leader must be from a Triple Alliance nation, as it is the only bloc with a navy, that means Balit was hired by Ostania and thus this is the cavalry nation. Nosten thus must be an infantry power as all alliances have an infantry contingent. Of the leaders, we've already accounted for Corpolin and Balit. Engrout doesn't do infantry, and Abstantor doesn't work with the River Entente, so Dindee is an infantry leader for Nosten. That explains the River Entente.

Edit: once we've given names to the other participants of the festival not directly named, the nation who was a no-show is Suidemark and thus has Corpolin and therefore a navy.

Now the Triple Alliance. Occipotia is the archery nation, as above. The only leader it can hire is Engrout since it's NOT an infantry power and we've already accounted for another nation having Corpolin. Middlemark cannot be the naval power (since it showed up to the party above) and so it MUST be the infantry power as again all alliances have one infantry focused nation. Abstantor is the only leader not accounted for, so here we are. Suidemark has Corpolin and thus is the naval power.

Final answer:
Middlemark, infantry lead by Abstantor
Occipotia, archery lead by Engrout
Suidemark, navy lead by Corpolin
Nosten, infantry lead by Dindee
Ostania, cavalry lead by Balit

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 15, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I eventually got the same answer as kw0134. Though the notion of this actually being viable military intel that commanders are expected to act on is... actually not all that implausible these days but utterly horrifying. Much like that, uh, centaur I guess?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I did a search for Elias Throckmorton, and aside from a TVTropes page referencing this exact puzzle and a genealogy page for someone with the name, the only thing that really came up was a romance novel from the 90's (The Amourous Heiress) which was in Google Books for whatever reason. Maybe Nadia Thimbatool was a similar reference to that (not in that book, though?). The only other major Throckmorton I've ever known used it as a first name, rather than a last name.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
There's also the possibility that Persephone ALSO got the Sword and Talisman. This is all some kind of Eternal Recurrence where everything you did gets reset for the next Candidate to do.

It'd be like if you returned to each POP, it would be as if you never were there. :tinfoil:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: The Final Stretch
In which we discover that we missed our calling as a military man, then attempt to pull rank on the janitor.

This is the end of the road. Last stop on the line. Only the heart of the madness remains to be explored, but it's a doozy. First we'll have to get past an array of optional challenges, similar to the Citadel of Osmet Khan. Only once we're past that will we have a chance at finally reaching Moraziel... if the Mad One and his Archpriest don't find us first.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I did a search for Elias Throckmorton, and aside from a TVTropes page referencing this exact puzzle and a genealogy page for someone with the name, the only thing that really came up was a romance novel from the 90's (The Amourous Heiress) which was in Google Books for whatever reason. Maybe Nadia Thimbatool was a similar reference to that (not in that book, though?). The only other major Throckmorton I've ever known used it as a first name, rather than a last name.

Your cousin, Throckmorton?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

If you try to use earth on the general does it obliterate him or do you get the standard line about earth not working on the moon?

Final puzzles incoming. I bet they’ll be nasty. Though the table puzzles like the general’s actually seem to have gotten easier - they’ve been putting in 5-way disjunctions that give you tons of information.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: The Stuff Of Madness, Arrival
In which we seek to bring order out of chaos, and succeed only partially, bringing puzzles out of chaos instead.

I don't think this first test is particularly hard (arguably only one part of this entire final PoP is genuinely tough), but like the Citadel of Osmet Khan, the truly intriguing question is how we know the wrong answers are wrong and what they'll do to us if we fall for them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The past glory option is going to kill us by trapping us in them.
Alternative option, it'll punt us back to, say, Gonzaga; technically not a death but I'd say it counts as one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm inclined to go with the nondescript passageway, on the theory that it feels the most out-of-place. But that's kind of metagamey.

The cake would be too vast to consume; we'd suffer coronary heart failure before making it through. The sword looks nice but who's to say we'd be its master? I bet it'd betray us. The beggar would honestly be my second choice; I don't think material riches are likely to be needed past this point, and charity is a virtue. The monster I bet we'd get into a shouting match with, get impossibly angry, and try to rip apart with our bare hands, with predictable results. The past glories tempts us to relive the old days rather than push towards the new; I agree with Omobono that we'd be trapped there. And the treasure chamber of course would turn us into an orangutan as well; where do you think the others came from?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So these are the seven deadly sins - the cake is Gluttony, past achievements are Pride, the magic sword is Envy, and so on. Have we gotten any advice about sinning?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Added Space posted:

So these are the seven deadly sins - the cake is Gluttony, past achievements are Pride, the magic sword is Envy, and so on. Have we gotten any advice about sinning?

Conspicuously missing is Lust, unless spittle-flecked beggars taking our last coin is meant to be lustful.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

nweismuller posted:

Conspicuously missing is Lust, unless spittle-flecked beggars taking our last coin is meant to be lustful.

Right. Give him the coin, then? It's the only charitable action available and would show we are not consumed by our desires.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
pride: past deeds
greed: treasure pile
lust: ???
envy: sword
gluttony: cake
wrath: French monster
sloth: ???

I guess sloth could be the featureless tunnel, which suggests we should go with the beggar.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We have specifically had the clue, "Pity the mad, for the fault is not their own" which seems to suggest pitying the mad beggar. We've also had, "The easy way deceives", which suggests avoiding the featureless tunnel, and "Money isn't everything" which suggests avoiding the treasure. What else has there been?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

inflatablefish posted:

We have specifically had the clue, "Pity the mad, for the fault is not their own" which seems to suggest pitying the mad beggar. We've also had, "The easy way deceives", which suggests avoiding the featureless tunnel, and "Money isn't everything" which suggests avoiding the treasure. What else has there been?

The Archpriest specifically recommended trying the cake, which I think counts as an anti-hint. There is also the Best Clue, from the great stone head, "You are what you eat." So... I think we can rule out cake.

We've also got "pride goeth before the fall", and I think there was something about wrath along the line?

EDIT: Also, there was a random guru who didn't do much except specifically tell us Valterre is the best sword ever, so we can assume the sword is bullshit.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 17, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Lust is taking the fancy sword and heading into the fudge tunnel so we can get through the pulsating spheroid.

Actually, I think it's
Pride: past battles
Envy: sword
Lust: treasure cave
Gluttony: cake tunnel
Greed: beggar
Sloth: plain corridor
Wrath: insult creature

There were clues about these in all those sententious comments we got, but I'm not going to go check.

The only one that gives a chance not to indulge is the beggar, so I say we go that way.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Even with no clues the beggar definitely stands out - it’s the only virtuous option. The rest are all pretty obvious traps. Treasure will never be the right option, especially in a game with no state.

Also I’m wondering about Iggy. Why did the game give him to us for this area? Sure, he gives some hints, but he’s not reliable and the game hasn’t gone for it before. I guess the question is, is he a servant of the Mad One or is he the Mad One or is he Moraziel or what? I expect some twist from him or why would he follow us to the moon?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Qrr posted:

Also I’m wondering about Iggy. Why did the game give him to us for this area? Sure, he gives some hints, but he’s not reliable and the game hasn’t gone for it before. I guess the question is, is he a servant of the Mad One or is he the Mad One or is he Moraziel or what? I expect some twist from him or why would he follow us to the moon?
Well, he wanted out of the prison, and the only path available (other than somehow sneaking out through the insect city) lay through the Pyramid, and other than climbing back to an earlier part of the maze, which causes him to mysteriously disappear, we haven't had any chances for him to stay somewhere safe.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Zereth posted:

Well, he wanted out of the prison, and the only path available (other than somehow sneaking out through the insect city) lay through the Pyramid, and other than climbing back to an earlier part of the maze, which causes him to mysteriously disappear, we haven't had any chances for him to stay somewhere safe.

I’m not sure that the moon of madness is an improvement over that prison, but I was mainly looking at it from a Doylist perspective anyway. Why did the author have him exist and follow us, rather than why in character he would do so.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Qrr posted:

I’m not sure that the moon of madness is an improvement over that prison, but I was mainly looking at it from a Doylist perspective anyway. Why did the author have him exist and follow us, rather than why in character he would do so.
Oh yeah, from that point of view he's suspicious as hell.

But from an in-world perspective, well, once he's past the pyramid, his choices are "try to go back through the pyramid and sneak back into prison alone", or "keep following the heavily armed wizard and hope". Or, I suppose, "sit down in the maze and die of starvation/dehydration".

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Are we going to _pay_ Moraziel? Give the beggar your last coin. This game isn't "edgy" enough to make that be a bad decision, and really, that's the path where we're commiting a virtue, not taking an obvious trap bassed on the deadly sins.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I'm going to buck the trend and say eat the cake. Both Iggy and the talisman think it's a good idea, and cake is delicious. And when it inevitably fails, death by chocolate is an incredible way to go*.

*In practice it's probably really gross, but eh. Theobromine poisoning or bust.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
From a Doyalist perspective, I think Iggy is following us because in each new section of the maze we gained a new power that we can consistently access. In the first section, we had practically nothing. In the second, wealth, weaponry, and (physical) strength. In the third, the magic talisman. In the fourth... we get a companion. Makes sense to me. He's our "level up".

Of course, he might ALSO be a twist ending. But I think we're supposed to see him as our level up, regardless of if there's a twist or not.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Andyzero posted:

Are we going to _pay_ Moraziel? Give the beggar your last coin. This game isn't "edgy" enough to make that be a bad decision, and really, that's the path where we're commiting a virtue, not taking an obvious trap bassed on the deadly sins.
The fact that we're suddenly down to exactly enough money to give the beggar a coin is also a bit of a giveaway. The game doesn't actually track an inventory.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zereth posted:

The fact that we're suddenly down to exactly enough money to give the beggar a coin is also a bit of a giveaway. The game doesn't actually track an inventory.

Also we still have Valterre and the amulet. I don't know how much is their value, but I'm willing to bet it's a lot of :10bux:. We're a knight, a wizard and an hero, we know treasure basically grows on trees for us. Horrible man-eating trees, of course, but nothing we haven't handled.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: The Stuff Of Madness, Colors
In which virtue prevails, more or less, and we find ourselves seeing the universe as, perhaps, the Mad One himself sees it.

Qrr posted:

Iunnrais posted:

From a Doyalist perspective, I think Iggy is following us because in each new section of the maze we gained a new power that we can consistently access. In the first section, we had practically nothing. In the second, wealth, weaponry, and (physical) strength. In the third, the magic talisman. In the fourth... we get a companion. Makes sense to me. He's our "level up".
I think that sums up his function nicely: We get a pal for the final leg of the journey. It might also be an attempt to experiment with new features like a "hint" system (utilizing the pop-ups that are so rare prior to the third level). They were clearly experimenting with what their game was capable of all the way through to the end, as we see tons of features or new options crop up as the game goes on (branching paths, ladders, etc.). Iggy's designed to be helpful, but not too helpful, and just hapless enough that he's not overshadowing our character. Heck, he's a wizard and he hasn't cast a single spell since we've met him!

Andyzero posted:

Omobono posted:

Also we still have Valterre and the amulet. I don't know how much is their value, but I'm willing to bet it's a lot of :10bux:. We're a knight, a wizard and an hero, we know treasure basically grows on trees for us. Horrible man-eating trees, of course, but nothing we haven't handled.
This logic makes obvious sense, though in a game that does track state I wouldn't put it past these writers to have an "easy" solution that wastes the last of our money then put a tollbooth barring the path to Moraziel or somesuch. There're no alternate options in this instance, but it'd be quite a kick in the pants if there were!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh my God the Pride one is great.

Also, uhhhh... colours. The only hint I remember is Orange is hungry from Mokoo, unless I'm misremembering that one. So probably we should avoid the colour Orange because it'll devour us or some such.

Judging by the hints I'd say visit Blue, Green and Yellow, in that order. But it seems a bit too obvious. Probably an awful trap of some sort.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh my God the Pride one is great.

Also, uhhhh... colours. The only hint I remember is Orange is hungry from Mokoo, unless I'm misremembering that one. So probably we should avoid the colour Orange because it'll devour us or some such.

Judging by the hints I'd say visit Blue, Green and Yellow, in that order. But it seems a bit too obvious. Probably an awful trap of some sort.

There's also Red is Moraziel's Robe and Green is the Lady's staff. Don't remember what blue and yellow are. So... we probably want to hit up green first?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

This logic makes obvious sense, though in a game that does track state I wouldn't put it past these writers to have an "easy" solution that wastes the last of our money then put a tollbooth barring the path to Moraziel or somesuch. There're no alternate options in this instance, but it'd be quite a kick in the pants if there were!

Given that there's only one way to get to the colors section, they could still totally do this! And then gleefully kill anyone who claims to have money to pay the toll, because they're clearly cheating.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Purple lies Madness was a hint we got

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Well, we were given color hints by a yellow cat, and a wizard in blue robes. That's the only thing I can think of for those colors.

Edit: King Carlon's colors were red and yellow. So maybe yellow is good?

Domus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 18, 2018

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Blue, because it's my favorite color. :colbert:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: The Stuff Of Madness, Unexpected Obstacles
In which we test the defenses of the Archpriest and Moraziel, finding them a bit too tough for our meager abilities. Looks like the Lady's going to need to bail us out yet again... if we can actually reach her important artifact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nakar posted:

And then the entire game starts over. No joke.

That is wonderful :allears:

Also props to Iggy for not only casting a spell but casting a useful one. Chicken soup is good for the soul.

• Locked thread