Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

July 15, 2011 is a full moon, so he's orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It does not breathe fire; that rules out being a dragon or a red wyvern. It has fangs; that rules out being a vegetarian. Since it is not a dragon, it must be red or a vegetarian; since it is not a vegetarian, it must be red. But it cannot then be a wyvern, because a red wyvern breathes fire. Therefore, NOT a dragon, NOT a vegetarian, YES red, NOT a wyvern.

He could be a wyvern that's not red.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zereth posted:

Are wyverns vegetarians, then?

Not if they have fangs, but the puzzle doesn't specify that. It seems like a reasonable assumption, but it should be documented along with all of the other facts given if you're going to use it to make conclusions.

Tenebrais posted:

Since non-dragons are either vegetarians or red, any not-red wyvern must be vegetarian, which he is not.

OK, I missed that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Adamant posted:

In other words, the true solution is that this puzzle just isn't very well written.

No, there's enough information to determine the answer to all of the questions posed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Adamant posted:

As others have pointed out, we know he's not a red wyvern since he can't breathe fire, but there's nothing in the writing that excludes him being a wyvern of a different color, and the option you can pick says "wyvern", not "red wyvern". It could've absolutely been worded better.

Here's the full solution where I deduce that he's not a wyvern:

Let B denote "I breathe fire", F denote "I have fangs", D denote "I am a dragon", R denote "I am red", W denote "I am a wyvern", and V denote "I am a vegetarian". ~ is logical negation, & is logical and, | is logical or, and -> is logical implication. The information the voice gives us can be encoded as follows:
1. I do not breathe fire: ~B
2. I definitely have fangs: F
3. If I were a dragon or a red wyvern, I would breathe fire: D | (R & W) -> B
4. I could be a vegetarian, unless I have fangs: F -> ~V
5. If I am NOT a dragon then I must either be red or a vegetarian: ~D -> (R | V)

Here's what we can deduce:
6. ~V (from 2 and 4, modus ponens)
7. ~D & ~(R & W) (from 1 and 3, modus tollens, de Morgan's law)
8. ~D (from 7, conjunction elimination)
9. R | V (from 5 and 8, modus ponens)
10. R (from 6 and 9, disjunctive syllogism)
11. ~R | ~W (from 7, conjunction elimination, de Morgan's law)
12. ~W (from 10, 11, disjunctive syllogism)
13. ~D & ~V & R & ~W (from 6, 8, 10, 12, conjunction introduction)

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 3, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There actually is one piece there where you could quibble. A unless B is usually translated as ~B -> A (see, e.g., page 6 here). If I followed that convention, "I could be a vegetarian, unless I have fangs" would be ~F -> V, and the only thing we can conclude is D & (V | ~W).

However, given the context of the piece, I think the intent is for "I could be a vegetarian, unless I have fangs" to be read as "if I have fangs, I'm not a vegetarian". That also lets you solve the puzzle, so that's further evidence that they meant it that way.

And that's not even getting into how to translate "could" besides just ignoring it....

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is probably way more effort than a puzzle in this game is worth, but I found a book chapter on translating English into the propositional calculus that distinguishes between the weak and strong senses of unless. My first reading was almost the strong sense (it should've been F <-> ~V), but the second reading I discussed is the weak sense. For what it's worth, the logic puzzles on the LSAT apparently only use the weak sense.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

nweismuller posted:

I say the cliffs; those were indeed mentioned.

Agreed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Aim between the mandibles.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sing at it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's solvable without the hint because there are only finitely many possible solutions. You can just check them all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Wait for the inn to burn down and use lightning to pick off the survivors.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zandar posted:

Obviously all names on the Moon of Madness must have the letters MAD in them, as seen in Nadia Thimbatool. Since Throckmorton only has M, its first name must have A and D, which means that the only possible name out of the choices given is Beadle. This cannot possibly be wrong.

Sounds legit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You're all wrong. You put the lime in the coconut and you drink 'em both together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MadMaze sure was a thing. Thanks for playing it so that we don't have to.

• Locked thread