Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nakar posted:

I guess there are clearings. The mazes themselves are just sort of artifacts of the Mad One's expanding power and they sort of grow into place and people inside the mazes just learn to deal with them. But it's also not supposed to make sense because it's an actual god of chaos. Things will only get weirder the deeper we go.

The MadMaze is Castlevania, basically.

If we find any wallmeat eat it immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet it's a grease fire, try using cold magic instead of water.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 25, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On the plus side, Cold technically succeeded, and that's really what counts here. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet we're the Mad One.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Robe posted:

Weren't we a simple peasant lad/ladette from a flyspeck village originally? How the gently caress have we even heard of base six, let alone know how to figure stuff out in it?

...how do we know what bananas smell like, come to that? Was Weith or wherever known for its plantations? I suppose we've been through various exotic markets etc., but even so.

...and chocolate cake. And I'll shut up now.

my immersion!

truly we are all mad

Exactly! It's craaaaaazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nakar posted:

Games where the transition from hallway to puzzle were seamless; I mean, even Marathon and DOOM functionally separate the killin' hallways from the big dangerous puzzle-ish rooms where you've got lava or something.

It's interesting you bring up Marathon because the entirety of Marathon Infinity is, in essence, a puzzle. You have to figure out you're in a time loop of sorts and break it. The manual is even a hint towards that; it describes a scenario you never encounter in the game itself. The end levels literally spell it out too. The correct level is Aye Mak Sicur ("I'll Make Sure"). The incorrect ones are typos.

quote:

So those factors have led MadMaze to obscurity, but there is one other: The inevitable fragility of its platform. Old arcade games survive with stuff like MAME, you can still find a working NES and cartridges if you're looking for them, and digital downloads and cracks ensure that most modern PC games will exist for about as long as anybody cares to acquire them. Prodigy was obsolete by the mid-90s and defunct by the end of the decade. If not for a fan who salvaged all the screens and rewrote the entire game in Java for web publishing, MadMaze would simply not exist anymore. It'd be gone along with the only platform that could've run it, and would exist only in vague memory as people tried to remember that maze game on Prodigy and some half-recalled PoP outcome. And even then, it almost died a second time: The host for the version I played in college broke down at some point and stopped functioning correctly about halfway through the second level, rendering the game effectively impossible to complete due to crashes. If by sheer coincidence the guy at Vintage Computing hadn't happened to receive a backup copy of the web version, he'd have been unable to rehost the game in a functioning state. And who knows how long that site will last. I do have a copy myself (which I can't distribute, but you know, in case of emergency, not that I'd know how to rehost it), but this stuff can easily get lost when so few people care about it enough to preserve it. Better-regarded games don't risk disappearing like this, and that's unfortunate, because MadMaze is certainly a charming game even if it isn't an especially good one.

So hey, worst case scenario, it'll at least exist here until Lowtax runs out of money.

This is ALSO interesting because I've heard several arguments that we're in fact in a digital dark age for the same reasons - the old hardware's decaying or forgotten and few know or care to restore or upload. Who knows what's on them?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 22, 2018

• Locked thread