Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I guess if you want to stay hidden from animals, pray to the Hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
From the spoilered hints, I'm guessing the cliff will involve Zeno's Paradox - we'll climb six feet up, and then three feet up, and then 1.5 feet and so on, never reaching the top. I suppose the same thing will happen if we climb back down, meaning we'll be stuck there (or falling) forever.

E: The crack presumably goes straight to Hell, and devils will reach out and drag us down because we're not pious enough.

Zandar fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 20, 2018

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The letters look like R, E and D to me.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I was kind of expecting this to be a puzzle where you have to use the fact that the Ice dragon could solve it to get past a point where you can't; narrow down Ice to two names and then find that only one choice then gives you enough information to solve the rest of the puzzle, for example. Unfortunately this doesn't work, as even if you don't assume that clue 1 refers to three different dragons, you can narrow Ice and Fire to the same two names and two hoards, and at that point nothing about the Ice dragon can affect any other point of the puzzle. So here are the possibilities I can think of:

1) The puzzle was intended to be completely solvable, but not enough clues were actually provided;
2) The puzzle was intended to only be solvable using the fact that the Ice dragon could solve it, but too many clues were provided;
3) There's some extra fact about the Ice or Fire dragon's name/familial status/willingness to meet with other dragons in this or another PoP (I guess the dragons we've met until now are all from the other hemisphere, though?); or
4) There's some trick about the way you answer that means you don't need to distinguish between Ice and Fire - either you can say you don't know certain facts and that's accepted, or you can try one answer, be told it's wrong and then (since you now know the right answer) use the Ice dragon's true name to gain power over him.

The whole Ice dragon not having a family thing would be 3, but a pretty tenuous "fact". I'm guessing from Nakar's attitude that 4 isn't the case, unfortunately, so it's looking like a mistake was made.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Did they actually try to make a spherical maze? I guess they could get a decent approximation if they used enough teleporters, but it'd be hell to map.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
All I can think of at the moment is that the name Nadia Thimbatool is meant to be a hint at some relationship between first and last names on the moon, or a property that all full names have. I can't find anything, though, so I'll just guess based on a random thought I had while checking anagrams.

Obviously all names on the Moon of Madness must have the letters MAD in them, as seen in Nadia Thimbatool. Since Throckmorton only has M, its first name must have A and D, which means that the only possible name out of the choices given is Beadle. This cannot possibly be wrong.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Okay, let's see what we can do with these clues.

The "base six" clue implies that each fruit corresponds to a number from 0-5, and "nothing is not a fruit" implies that the bone is 0. I don't recall any other hints to do with ordering fruit, but hopefully the fact that they're "in a definite order" means that we can just assign them from left to right - ham bone = 0, banana = 1, apple = 2, strawberry = 3, peach = 4, and lime = 5.

If we add the alternating fruits we get 4, but that would just be a peach and we're selecting two fruits. The fact that the first fruit is 1 makes me suspect that we're instead meant to take it as a two-digit number - banana-strawberry = 13 (base 6), or 9 in decimal.

There are several ways to add two numbers to get 9, but just one which uses only single-digit base 6 numbers - 4 + 5. Any other sum would use 6 or above. So hopefully all we need to do is take the peach and lime.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Nakar posted:

Level Four: The Stuff Of Madness, Never Meet Your Heroes
In which, at last and unfortunately, we encounter the Wizard Moraziel.

Congratulations on being exactly right! And also on being goddamn crazy to have figured that out.

It's me, I'm the Mad One.

The main reason I guessed at a two-digit number was the "base six" clue, actually - there's no point in specifying a base if you're not going to go past single-digit numbers.

I guess the Archpriest's influence is why the Moon is a mad bureaucracy rather than full-on chaos. It also looks like we're probably not going to be taking the Mad One's influence out entirely, just dispersing it. The question is whether the MadMaze is also because of the Archpriest's influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
There are visual novels without any choices at all. I haven't read that many VNs, but I believe Higurashi has only one interactive segment and it's more like a puzzle than a choice (although technically the author prefers to call it a "sound novel"). The requirements for being a VN are pretty much literally being a novel with pictures in the background.

Of course, MadMaze wouldn't have been described as a VN at the time, and is unlikely to have drawn inspiration from them. I'd say it was pretty much a CYOA mixed with a maze. The more complicated CYOA books didn't track the whole game state either - they asked you to track it yourself via a character sheet/inventory, and then asked if you met certain requirements at critical points. One CYOA series even tried to simulate an open, non-linear world, using keywords to try to track which events had happened and how they'd been resolved. Of course, much like MadMaze, it was easy to brute-force these books by claiming that you had things you'd never picked up; easier, in fact, because the books couldn't afford to put in ten wrong paths for every option.

The other point of comparison would be text adventures (or interactive fiction, as they're called now). The PoPs in MadMaze make up an experience much like a text adventure without a parser, although that rather stretches the definition (and indeed, you could say the same thing about CYOAs). The only reason I bring them up is that text adventures were much more likely to have a single correct path through, requiring you to complete all the challenges set for you to access more of the game, whereas you could finish most CYOAs without seeing all of their content. Still, that's not universal - there were text adventures with branching paths, and CYOAs which were more about finding the strategy to get through their challenges than letting you choose different stories.

In any case, I enjoyed reading through it - probably much more than I would have playing it. Thanks for the great job showing it off, Nakar!

• Locked thread