Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what message you're carrying for that Moraziel fellow, prolly something along the lines of 'hey, you're doing a pretty bad job, step it up guv'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Level One: Sage Wisdom, Wicked Witches, & Internet Trolls Circa 1990
In which we die once, then put ourselves in a position to probably die again, because we're a hero dumb as hell for agreeing to this task.

Note that the troll said "ARRRR!" conversationally. I suggest we SAY HELLO, and if the opportunity shows itself, ask Mr. Troll if it's International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Level One: Where The Fantastic Beasts Find YOU
Wherein we encounter the first, and oh God not last, pure logic puzzle.

So! My insinuation of alternate solutions didn't necessarily mean there was an alternate solution, but as it so happens there was one, and someone nailed it:

Obviously playing dead would work. Why wouldn't it?

Note that playing dead will not work on the Questing Beast. God help us all, we need to actually answer its riddle.

That one's pretty simple. If Brandisbane made 10 conquests and Fern 20, the hero conquered Norstein twice as many times as Fern, who conquered Middlemark three times as many as Brandis, then Fern must have only taken Norstein twice, while taking over Middlemark 18 times, for a total of 20, while Brandis took over Norstein four times (2*2) while taking over Middlemark 6 times (18/3), for a total of 10.

So the answers in order are:

Primus - 6
Secundus - 2

Probably helps that I played a Professor Layton game to 100% completion a short while ago. Also guessing/hoping there isn't some trick masking itself as a simple typo (the Duchy is referred to both as Norsten and Norstein)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wipfmetz posted:

I need help on how to imagine the maze. There are narrow, walled hallways and then suddently there's a house in the middle of a forest. You follow some more hallways and then you arrive at a ... peasant plowing a wide field?

It's the MadMaze, not the SensibleMaze!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Guild Wars 2 represents the best of what modern RPGs can offer in terms of writing quality.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is 'who cares' an option?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seems like a reference to that one Robin Hood story where he runs into Little John? Anyway, refuse at first, maybe you can agree to give him the right of way and in return get some tips on getting through the Lost Woods.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Too bad that dude only appears in this one scene, to murder us. He could've saved us a lot of trouble.

In a way you could say he did...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nweismuller posted:

I say we should try our best, but only to prove our merit. This knight can ride us down if we try to flee (attempting to flee on foot from an opponent on horseback in open ground is basically the single most suicidal thing you can do), but maybe he'll take an honorable yield if we establish our valor. (Not that I can count on that, but you did say this is survivable...)

And they do go out of their way to point out this isn't the knight that committed a foul...

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm almost certain we shouldn't go for the kill at least, since that's mainly why we cried foul in the first place.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Adamant posted:

As others have pointed out, we know he's not a red wyvern since he can't breathe fire, but there's nothing in the writing that excludes him being a wyvern of a different color, and the option you can pick says "wyvern", not "red wyvern". It could've absolutely been worded better.

It says if he's not a dragon then he's either red or a vegetarian, but he can't be a vegetarian if he has fangs (which he has), so if he was a wyvern he'd have to be a red wyvern, which breathes fire, which we know he can't.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know it probably won't work, but... Full on FRIENDSHIP!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MadMaze posted:

Nope. But surely the power of friendship will work!

"Gonzaga, valiant friend. It is not necessary for us to fight. I mean thee no harm. Let me be on my way."

"Sorry, good fellow. Duty calls. Have at thee!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXqBdYaCJ70&t=267s

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually going to suggest trying The Cliffs, because I think I remember someone mentioning seaside cliffs earlier.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jump up the cliff. Bet he'd never expect that one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just tell them that a goshawk in a cage is worth two on the mountain's peak, so they should both be satisfied.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The dreaded Trial of Al-Gibra is to solve Fermat's Last Theorem. Andrew Wiles was the first to solve the riddle and continue on to the next maze/level.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Domus posted:

I'm meta gaming here, but if the PoPs don't remember states, would it matter if we skipped the jug and rug?

Technically, but notice how all these magical artifacts require saying various magic words. So you'd need to brute-force the correct words.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HardDiskD posted:

The dragon is full of crap

Well duh, it just ate!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

I think we have evidence in this very thread that the dragon merely ate a bowl of kids' breakfast cereal.

:confused: Which Barbarossa are you talking about?

This got me to check the wiki page for Barbarossa, which has this line in the Arts and media section

Wikipedia posted:

The Barbaroosa, a fictional pirate ship in the Miniskirt Pirates light novel series by Yūichi Sasamoto and corresponding anime Bodacious Space Pirates

oookaaaay....

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it would have been appropriately evil to have one of the perils be in the form of a familiar-looking castle, and if you went in it would transport you all the way back to Castle Perilous.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Something tells me if we ever meet this Rehnstrom fellow on the road, we should kill them. Or at least not trust them.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was also worried about some kinda greasy origins for the fire. Hopefully some creative use of Air magic would suck it out of the inferno instead of sending more in...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game's from 1989, so I can't be mad (heh) at the lack of Heart magic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not really? Human cultures revered conventional foody animals all the time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I personally don't think it really counts as a visual novel. As someone else said an important part of VNs is that at least some of your choices actually matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah yeah, and every game is an RPG because you always play some kinda role.

• Locked thread