Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm liking this LP a lot, even though I didn't catch any of the puzzles in time.

Minor nitpick, though, I don't know if you are transcribing or have the text dump, but in the Level One: Gonzaga, Part 2 update, Gonzaga says:

quote:

"No parasan!"

I'm assuming that Seņor Gonzaga is a Spaniard, so it should be "No pasaran!" instead. And there's also the missing accents, but who cares about those.

Thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I vote for No One In Particular.

The Mad One is obviously out, same for the Sea Lord. The Warrior, Dancer, Smith and the Hunter feels to me more like aspects of these professions than forces of nature per se, and while elephants are really intelligent animals, I doubt they have the concept of professions. Last time we encountered the Lady, she really didn't do anything in particular but to dispense a cryptic clue, so I think she prefers the more hands-off approach to being a god. As for the Creator, I have only a gut feeling that they are also a fan of the hands-off approach, so I don't think they will do anything as well.

However, I don't feel like they are good reasons in of themselves to not pray to one god in particular, but I am intrigued by a thing the Lady said:

This is going to go full :tinfoil: but what if No One In Particular is the ninth god?

:tinfoil:

(The actual reason that I'm voting for no one in particular is because of what Domus said about the cows checking out someone kneeling)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Don't jump off a cliff because that's an extremely stupid thing to do.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

We could probably make the witch and the merchant fight for the bird. :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The dragon is full of crap because all of them are warriors, Attila is a hun and Genghis is a Mongol, Barbarossa is Spanish German, kinda. I guess Saladin is an Arab.

That leaves us with Timur the lame, which was a Turk, and thus closest to a Tercelid.

:colbert:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 18, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kangra posted:

:confused: Which Barbarossa are you talking about?

whoops I was thinking of this guy

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure anyone that can create a NAPLPS emulator or parser can add in artificial delays.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm going to start with the ones that will kill us, and how we will be killed:

Flames:: "Pureness of Heart" may be referring to either being extremely naive, or noble, and while we are a naive village boy, what we aren't (and what I guess the intended solution, as it were, is) is noble from birth. We have just been knighted by King Carlon, and we aren't from a noble family at all. As for how it's gonna kill us: Uh, it's fire?

Blades: "Quickness of Lightning" may refer to being so fast that the blades won't cut you if you happen to touch them, I guess. But we never been that fast, even on an actual magical-ish horse, except maybe when we were teleported to the shaman I guess. We are going to die from a literal thousand cuts, or the Lightning part of the trial is going to become literal and we gonna get toasted.

Cliff: We are a simple Frank peasant. I don't know how a 4-meter hill can kill us, but I'm going with TooMuchAbstraction's guess.

Crack: We are pious in the sense that we kinda worship all of the gods, or at least pray for them now and then, with mixed results. Having said that I'm going with nweismuller's take in that it's piety towards The Mad One, not towards the pantheon in general. It's going to kill us either because we will gonna be flash-cooked over the vent, or we will suffocate on toxic gases, or a demon is going to drag us to hell.

As for the one that's going to not kill us I'm between the Meadow, River, and Snakes, I will elaborate on them below:

Meadow: "Surety of purpose" could mean that we know why we came into the MadMaze in the first place, which is to deliver that message to the last runner, but I kinda feel like we got sidetracked for a bit, and now we are just using that as a cover to depose of The Mad God, so maybe this is not it. We will definitively get seduced by the meadow

River: "Wisdom". Hmm I'm actually not really sure. We have been solving those bullshit puzzles one after the other, so we do have some measure of wisdom after all. However one could argue that we are not wise, if only because we accepted the quest to go into the MadMaze, which is a really dumb thing to do all in all. We will die because of a sharp case of Metal fume fever.

I think the best fit for us is the Snakes, because seeing how we flip-flop our main quest for most of the time, and we are dumb brave enough to be inside the MadMaze, and we did do a lot of dumb brave poo poo, nobody can say that we are brave to a fault.

Sorry for the wall of spoiler text. :(

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 20, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

idhrendur posted:

I was thinking that, too. Yesterday I even went as far as looking up a description of the protocol before remembering I already have too many interesting projects I'm working on.

I did that too! I thought it was bit too complicated for me though. :(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I also tried to solve the geyser puzzle using a grid and, as mentioned, I just couldn't.

As for the inn we could use Earth to starve the fire from oxygen. :haw:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

also I want to cast spirit and take a good swig from it

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I did not take notes on how I solved it, but I used that puzzle grid solver and Straight White Shark's first paragraph as a hint that I could make more disassociations using the first rule of the puzzle. After that was just the matter of following the rules, and not forgetting to fill out the logical conclusions. :v:

I arrived at the same conclusion as Straight White Shark, so I think this was my first successfully solved puzzle in this thread. :3:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wizard of Oz-style water.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ew

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The first alien we found at the MoM was running away from some Throckmorton fella, and since when we mention either that name to the bridge, or the Bureau of Records, it tells us to go to the same place, I`m reasonably sure that particular bureaucrat was our Throckmorton. I can't find his first name anywhere, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zandar posted:

All I can think of at the moment is that the name Nadia Thimbatool is meant to be a hint at some relationship between first and last names on the moon, or a property that all full names have. I can't find anything, though, so I'll just guess based on a random thought I had while checking anagrams.

Obviously all names on the Moon of Madness must have the letters MAD in them, as seen in Nadia Thimbatool. Since Throckmorton only has M, its first name must have A and D, which means that the only possible name out of the choices given is Beadle. This cannot possibly be wrong.

This is crazy enough to work.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't like sequel hook endings in general, and I especially don't like a sequel hook that will never be followed up on. But this alone doesn't make a bad game bad.

Like ManxomeBromide said, this is a fine puzzlebook, (with the exception of the primes puzzle and the library card puzzle) but not a good video game. It has pointless filler, it doesn't use any network feature that might be interesting (Chat rooms, encountering other players in the maze, maybe user designed content), and I think the game's biggest flaw is that it doesn't store any state at all, which makes me wonder why this is on a computer at all, and it's not just an actual puzzlebook.

I can understand the service not coming up with the network features, because it's easy for me in 2018 to point to things that networking enables you to do. Having said that, the first and the last points feel to me like deliberate padding to rack up that connection bill (waste your time in the mazes for the first; and if you don't have all the hints you just don't pass what amounts to inventory checks). I can forgive the first point, but wasting people's time and money are definitively marks of a bad game.

I did enjoy most of the writing and the art, especially in the third chapter, before the MoM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bad game design is still bad game design if players from the era are used to it, and of the games you listed, MadMaze has the dubious distinction of charging you for the minute for the privilege of getting lost in it, which is a really lovely thing to do.

Edit: Though I don't know if that was specifically designed to be that way, but I don't think the maze gameplay was an accident. Or the developers could just have been lazy and copied the gameplay of those other games, and lazy devs are also a mark of bad games.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2018

• Locked thread