Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

I appreciate that two of the "magic words" you can futilely yell in the forest are straight from Lord of the Rings, albeit one is slightly misspelled. Namely, they're from the inscription on the One Ring:

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

I suppose this isn't really pertinent to anything in this game, but it's a nice little reference.

It reminds me of the Interplay Fellowship of the Ring game, where yelling random words of Elvish poetry was magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Black Robe posted:

And all four of them need to get a life and stop holding a snake's eggs hostage for shits and giggles.

Obviously they've already feasted on giant snake egg omelette, they're just taunting the snake with the riddle to be dicks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If Attila and Jenghiz are not of the same race that means 1 of them must be Atarri and 1 of them must be Tercelid. That leaves 2 Atarri and 1 Tercelid left.

Saladin and Barbarossa have to be the same race so they must both be Atarri since there is only 1 Tercelid outside of Attila/Jenghiz.

That leaves one race unaccounted for, so Tamburlane must be the remaining Tercelid.

By the same logic, Tamburlane/Jenghiz must both be merchants since Barbarossa/Attila include 1 merchant and 1 warrior, which leaves Saladin as the remaining warrior.

At this point we have fully identified two of the dragon's meals: Saladin was an Atarri warrior and Tamburlane was a Tercelid merchant. The identities of the other three are indeterminate, except the dragon already told us he ate a Tercelid warrior so we know there must be one. We already know Barbarossa is an Atarri and Jenghiz was a merchant. By process of elimination, Attila is the only one that can be both Tercelid and a warrior, so he must be the Tercelid warrior the dragon last ate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

quote:

Wisely, you realize that you are not yet ready to face the perils of the palace of Osmet Khan. You turn and depart, to ready yourself further.

Does this mean you can cross the river of brass now? :downs:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Obviously the only solution is to moonwalk across the river.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ManxomeBromide posted:

That is how we cheesed that acid river, and the river of flame.

So it's not really a test of wisdom so much as it is a test of pattern recognition, then.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Today I learned about the Intersecting Chord Theorem. Thanks, Prodigy!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Black Robe posted:

As for the last, we're possibly meant to use that odd diagram from the burning river and then apply Pythagoras, but I think it's just trying to make us confuse ourselves. The base of the tunnel is 8 feet off the ground, so we just need a ladder a little bit longer than 8 feet. The exact amount doesn't matter, if it's longer it'll just have a shallower slope up to the tunnel.

The text and picture seem to be misleading; from what I gather, the 8 foot measurement does not refer to the tunnel or any specific point on the flaming disk, it's just there to give context to your measurement of 24 feet. It's saying "the line across the disk at the highest point you can reach (which happens to be 8 feet up) is 24 feet across."

The real question is if we can measure the distance across at 8 feet up, why the gently caress can't we just measure the diameter end-to-end and get our answer.

For that matter, why is it so dangerous to just hold the ladders up and see if they'll work before we touch one to the tunnel? How much of that goddamn wine did we drink???

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That was... kind of anticlimactic. Seems to be a bit of a theme for big end-of-level encounters. Wonder how the game will handle the grand finale.

I will say that for a state-less text adventure game it does a fantastic job of creating the sense of "leveling up."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The inn is a lost cause. Let the fire run its course and then use spirit to interrogate the ghosts of the deceased :ghost:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Join the bucket brigade. Why use magic when buckets work?

What kind of question is this?! Always use magic regardless of whether a more practical mundane solution presents itself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I haven't looked at the spoiler hint yet but I think it's definitely solvable with that hint. Trying to wrap my head around if it's doable without.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
OK I lied, you can't get 100% of the way there even with the hint. Although if the game was merciful it should count anyway since the dragon already knows the part of the answer you're missing, so the part you can deduce logically should be enough to count as a solution :colbert:

Forest cannot have Electrum, because its child has Electrum.
Forest cannot have Silver, because Silver is the youngest and Forest has a child that's younger.
Forest cannot have Rubies or Diamonds, because it has a metallic horde.
Therefore Forest is Gold.

Fire cannot have Gold, Silver, or Electrum, because it has a horde of gems.
Ice cannot have Silver or Electrum, because those belong to younger dragons, and Gold is already taken.
So Fire and Ice have Rubies/Diamonds between them, and Plains and Peaks have Silver/Electrum.

Forest gets together from time to time with their Electrum-having offspring. But Forest (having gold) hates the dragon of the Plains and will not meet with them. So Peaks must have Electrum and Plains has silver.

Carange cannot have Electrum; that is their child. They cannot have Gold; that is Forest, their mate. They cannot have Silver; they are a parent and cannot be the youngest. Therefore they must have Rubies or Diamonds. Therefore they must be Fire or Ice.

Demout is younger than Fire and younger than Ice. Therefore they cannot have Rubies or Diamonds. We know that the three metal hordes belong to Alain, Ebert, and the Dragon of the Forest. Therefore Demout is Forest, which we already know is Gold.

Ebert has a metallic horde. We know that Gold belongs to Demout, and we know that Electrum belongs to Peaks, which is not Ebert due to Ebert's fear of heights. Therefore Ebert is Silver; Alain, having the other metallic horde, is Electrum (Peaks.)

Balparaise and Carange have Rubies and Diamonds between them, which we already know makes them Fire and Ice.

At this point we know:

Alain - Dragon of Peaks - Electrum
Balparaise - Fire/Ice - Rubies/Diamonds
Carange - Fire/Ice - Rubies/Diamonds
Demout - Dragon of Forest - Gold
Ebert - Dragon of Plains - Silver

The only way forward I can find from this point is a leap of logic: we know that Carange has a family that they get along with, so presumably 1) Carange does not want to rob them and even if they did 2) Carange already has at least some knowledge of their family members that would give them a head start on the puzzle, so they would be less likely to be stumped than Balparaise. So it seems likely that the Dragon of Ice is Balparaise, which makes Carange Fire.

With that assumption, peek at the ice dragon's horde and you should have all you need to know.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

Why can't Plains be E? I too have nailed down hoards to dragon types, but I'm left with BC being Fire(Ruby)/Ice(Diamond), and AE being Plains(Silver)/Forest(Gold)

Yeah, now we're bring contradicted.

There is a slight ambiguity in hint #1 depending on if you assume that "Alain, Ebert, and the Dragon of the Forest" refers to three different individuals. I interpreted it that way, which is how I got to my answer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zandar posted:

I was kind of expecting this to be a puzzle where you have to use the fact that the Ice dragon could solve it to get past a point where you can't; narrow down Ice to two names and then find that only one choice then gives you enough information to solve the rest of the puzzle, for example. Unfortunately this doesn't work, as even if you don't assume that clue 1 refers to three different dragons, you can narrow Ice and Fire to the same two names and two hoards, and at that point nothing about the Ice dragon can affect any other point of the puzzle. So here are the possibilities I can think of:

1) The puzzle was intended to be completely solvable, but not enough clues were actually provided;
2) The puzzle was intended to only be solvable using the fact that the Ice dragon could solve it, but too many clues were provided;
3) There's some extra fact about the Ice or Fire dragon's name/familial status/willingness to meet with other dragons in this or another PoP (I guess the dragons we've met until now are all from the other hemisphere, though?); or
4) There's some trick about the way you answer that means you don't need to distinguish between Ice and Fire - either you can say you don't know certain facts and that's accepted, or you can try one answer, be told it's wrong and then (since you now know the right answer) use the Ice dragon's true name to gain power over him.

The whole Ice dragon not having a family thing would be 3, but a pretty tenuous "fact". I'm guessing from Nakar's attitude that 4 isn't the case, unfortunately, so it's looking like a mistake was made.

Thinking about it: does including Balparaise in the hate trio actually help move you towards the solution at all? All it tells you is that Balparaise is not Carange, which is not something you needed a hint for. If they had ID'd Balparaise by hoard or location you would have been able to solve the whole riddle. I suspect they had the solution mapped out and slotted in the wrong hint for B/rubies/fire.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It does not actually seem to be necessary to figure everything out, although once you arrive at the answer it's trivial to finish out the grid. And probably a good idea--submitting a partial answer may be a trap in that you might not know if your answer contains a contradiction that you haven't gotten to yet.

Those who wield swords are a different group than Saurians or Orcs.
Elves could not wield swords; they wielded bows.
Insectidae could not wield swords.
Therefore, humans wielded swords.

Humans did not ride bears, so they do not worship the Lady.
Humans did not wield clubs, so they do not worship Death.
Humans did not wield spears, so they didn't worship the First Cause.
Humans did not worship the Mad One.
Therefore humans worshipped the Hunter.

Orcs are different from those who rode warfrogs or those who rode bears.
Orcs rode neither zebras nor pterodactyls.
Therefore orcs rode wolves.

Humans (those who wield swords) were not those who rode warfrogs or those who rode bears.
Humans did not wield shuriken, so they could not ride pterodactyls.
Wolves are already claimed.
Therefore humans rode zebras.

Halfway there! (Human - Zebra - Sword - Hunter.)

Saurians were not those who rode warfrogs or those who rode bears.
Humans and orcs have claimed mounts beside warfrog and bear.
Therefore elves/insectidae both rode either warfrog/bear.

Wolves and zebras are already claimed.
Therefore saurians rode pterodactyls, which means they wield shuriken.

Insectidae did not worship Death, so they cannot wield clubs.
Bow/sword/shuriken are all claimed.
Therefore insectidae wielded spears, which means they worship the First Cause.

Insectidae do not worship the Lady, so they did not ride bears.
That means they rode warfrogs.

That gives us the other half of the answer (Insect - Warfrog - Spear - First Cause.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing if you want to kill her you have to wait until you're in the pot and then whip out the talisman while her back is turned.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
His dialogue seems like kind of a random mishmash to me, so it seems more like they were going for "quirky" than Jewish specifically. So far, at least--if he's sticking around there's still plenty of time for them to blow it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

inflatablefish posted:

We have specifically had the clue, "Pity the mad, for the fault is not their own" which seems to suggest pitying the mad beggar. We've also had, "The easy way deceives", which suggests avoiding the featureless tunnel, and "Money isn't everything" which suggests avoiding the treasure. What else has there been?

The Archpriest specifically recommended trying the cake, which I think counts as an anti-hint. There is also the Best Clue, from the great stone head, "You are what you eat." So... I think we can rule out cake.

We've also got "pride goeth before the fall", and I think there was something about wrath along the line?

EDIT: Also, there was a random guru who didn't do much except specifically tell us Valterre is the best sword ever, so we can assume the sword is bullshit.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 17, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh my God the Pride one is great.

Also, uhhhh... colours. The only hint I remember is Orange is hungry from Mokoo, unless I'm misremembering that one. So probably we should avoid the colour Orange because it'll devour us or some such.

Judging by the hints I'd say visit Blue, Green and Yellow, in that order. But it seems a bit too obvious. Probably an awful trap of some sort.

There's also Red is Moraziel's Robe and Green is the Lady's staff. Don't remember what blue and yellow are. So... we probably want to hit up green first?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We never actually used the Lady's 9-7-1 combo, did we? If the six options are numbers arranged in ascending order starting with zero ("nothing is not a fruit" and a ham bone definitely is not a fruit), then peach + lime would be 9...

This also potentially meshes with Persephone's cryptic fruit hints... she says "base six" (again suggesting numbers 0-5) and then "sweet fruit, vile fruit, base fruit." Unless there are more fruit based puzzles ahead, peach and lime seem to correspond best with "sweet fruit" and "vile fruit" (or so some people say; limes are fuckin delicious.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What you do with limes is eat the limes

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Persephone has merely been imprisoned; either she wasn't appropriate for the High Priest's needs for whatever reason, or what he does with Weith's heroes takes some time, or it'd already been done when we talked to her but wasn't obvious. Considering that she lacks our various accouterments of power (and presumably reached the moon by stealth and trickery instead of raw power), I suppose it's possible she just wasn't considered powerful enough for the High Priest's requirements.

I think it's the last one. The bridge seemed really bummed to tell us about Persephone and although it seemed like a pretty nice bridge it was laying it on a bit thick for someone who's just stuck in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Huh, I would have thought there would have been a bigger payoff for Iggy. I thought it was cool when we got a companion but he doesn't really... do anything. I guess his hints during the final confrontation are kind of useful? Oh well.

• Locked thread