Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Adamant posted:

Yeah, I made it to the tournament where you have to pick a spell from a rather long list, with no way of guessing the answer unless you were given it earlier. I've seen similar games just plain not including the correct answer as an option unless you trigger a flag elsewhere, though.

Ultima 7 did a lot of that. :v:

Also the answer is obvious that since the troll won't resist a dare, we should dare it to do something, and since it can't swim, we should dare it to jump into the well.

Alternately, the Sage and the Crone are both kind of... shady, the Sage seemed awfully eager to get a nice young man drunk and the Crone would've eaten us if we weren't useful. It's entirely plausible that they're both assholes and the troll is nice enough if we talk to him. So I'd say talk to him.

It's great to see you LP'ing again, Nakar! Loved your old Ultima LP's, they hold up for re-reads and are some of the best this forum's ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Nakar posted:

Almost.

Dear God I snorted with laughter.

Also the art of the blacksmith brings back memories of Loom.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Firm and trusting. He might respect us for that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I expect the grouse we got from the hermit to be a puzzle solution (or maybe an alternate solution, because it was optional) at some point, so I definitely assume we'll be getting some use out of that dagger, as well.

Is that even something this game can handle, though? It doesn't remember the "state" of the various Places of Power we enter, so I wouldn't expect it to be remembering any optional changes to our inventory, either.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

PREPARE TO DIE, FAT MAN sounds like something Steve would yell at some point, if she was dealing with this.

Probably at several points, really.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh my God, I love that "run around the guy in full plate and laugh at him while you disappear into the horizon" is an option.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like how much work they put into the "wrong" options. It's rarely just "you are dead," some of them are almost entire short storylines in their own right.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love this game's sense of humour.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I still can't get over how much of a dickhead this game will let us be. It's like someone played Ultima, then a Sierra adventure game, and thought: "Wow, I wish I could be as much of an antisocial dickhead as I was in Ultima to these characters."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Again, just the fact that we went from terrified peasant with a rusty knife, to badass warrior with a legendary artifact sword, giving us A) the option to just gut some enemies and B) some respect, is a really cool bit of writing that a lot of other games miss.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would have figured that the talisman and Mind would've worked with the holy man, but I suppose not.

I also like that the player character and the Questing Beast acknowledge that some of the Mad One's obstacles are ridiculous.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Aw, I'm sad, I would've hoped for some peace with the bugs or something.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love that the guard lizard is just the fancy drinks lizard with a sword lazily slapped over his drink.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like that Iggy has been generally useless so far.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Honestly, something seemed super shady about Persephone. She seemed way too chill about being locked up, and the back of her cell being just straight up open to space? Weird poo poo.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh my God the Pride one is great.

Also, uhhhh... colours. The only hint I remember is Orange is hungry from Mokoo, unless I'm misremembering that one. So probably we should avoid the colour Orange because it'll devour us or some such.

Judging by the hints I'd say visit Blue, Green and Yellow, in that order. But it seems a bit too obvious. Probably an awful trap of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thanks for the run of MadMaze! It's a cool look back at early videogame history.

Did the creators ever go on to make any other games?

• Locked thread