Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Brandisbane conquered Norsten four times and Middlemark six times. Fenn conquered Norsten two times and Middlemark 18 times. My work:

BN + BM = 10
FN + FM = 20
BN = 2FN
FM = 3BM

FM = 20 - FN
3BM = 20 - FN (substituting 3BM for FM)

BM = 10 - BN
BM = 10 - 2FN (substituting 2FN for BN)

30 - 6FN = 20 - FN (substituting 3*(10 - 2FN) for 3BM)
10 = 5FN
2 = FN

2 + FM = 20
FM = 18

BN = 2(2)
BN = 4

4 + BM = 10
BM = 6

E: Curses! Beaten to the punch while I was typing out a full accounting of my work!

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
'Thou'' is the old familiar form of 'you', inherited from Germanic languages. Equivalent to German 'du', as opposed to the more formal 'Sie', equivalent to 'you' (which is the only version that has survived in live usage to this day).

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Adamant posted:

Norwegian still has familiar and polite second person pronoun, but the polite form has become extremely subservient these days and is only really used by waiting staff in fancy restaurants and the like.

I meant in English usage, sorry. German also has familiar and polite second person pronouns, as I said- I was citing German specifically because I at least have some (small amount of rusty) German. From what you said, it appears German usage of familiar and polite is actually more robust than Norwegian, as far as I know- you default to the polite form except with people you are legitimately on familiar terms with.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Firm, but trusting, I say. Never back down from adventure.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I say we should try our best, but only to prove our merit. This knight can ride us down if we try to flee (attempting to flee on foot from an opponent on horseback in open ground is basically the single most suicidal thing you can do), but maybe he'll take an honorable yield if we establish our valor. (Not that I can count on that, but you did say this is survivable...)

And they do go out of their way to point out this isn't the knight that committed a foul...

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 1, 2018

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, I have to say 'winning a tourney via elf magic' wasn't exactly what I expected.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Yellow. My work: I am not blind.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Voice is not a dragon, as it does not breathe fire, and if it were a dragon, it would breathe fire. It is not a vegetarian, as it has fangs, which disqualify it from being a vegetarian. It is both not a dragon and not vegetarian, so it must be red. And, knowing it is red, we know it is not a wyvern, as it would breathe fire if it were a red wyvern.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I agree; we've established Gozanga's chivalry. I don't see any other options I'd consider 'reliable'.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I say the cliffs; those were indeed mentioned.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Head up until we can head up no more. We need that magic sword, and it is allegedly at the highest point of the castle.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, given we're supposed to talk to the lyon... perhaps greet it?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right. One and only one of A and C will be using the lance. If A is using the lance, B is using the bow. However, B and C will not use the bow at the same time. This means A is using a bow and C is using a lance. The one hunter whose weapon is undefined is B, who, as far as we have been told, could use either. (He'd only use a bow if A used a lance, but A will never use a lance, so.) This means the only possible answer is Baudoin.

As for destination... the Twisted Temple, I guess? It sounds slightly more inhabited, at least. Not as if we have much to go on.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 8, 2018

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Agree with ManxomeBromide.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well... that was unpleasant.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right...

Achmed appears to be the key we must start with. If he were Tredu, he would not claim not to be Tredu. If he were Famani, he would also not say 'I am not Tredu'. Thus he must be Wahoun. As Wahoun alternate true and false statements, his next claim, that Dhuja is a Tredu, must be false. Bana is either Wahoun or Famani, as his claim to be Wahoun could not be made by a Tredu. If he is Wahoun, his following claim is false, since the first one is true. If he is Famani, his following claim is also false, since everything he says is false. We thus know Charoun is Tredu or Wahoun. If we assume Charoun is Wahoun, Bana must be Famani, as no tribe has more than two members, and his being Wahoun would make three Wahoun. But if Bana is Famani, that would leave Dhuja as Tredu, which we know is false. Thus Charoun is Tredu, which means that both Bana and Dhuja are Famani.

As such- Achmed is Wahoun, Bana Famani, Charoun Tredu, and Dhuja Famani.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I feel bad that I was too groggy to think well when I first saw the sheep and goat puzzle, and by the time I could get to solving puzzles, it was far too late. Well, things have been going along interestingly thus far...

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Oxymoron. "No, you're an oxymoron!"

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, I know the crack will kill us. We are about as far from pious as it's possible to be, given our attitude towards the Mad One. The cliff, too- it seems unlikely we've mastered the philosophies in any sense.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'm guessing El Loco pure spring water for the test of taste. A suspicion, based on the quasi-Mahometan nature of the Mad God worship and the 'El Loco' in it. For the second, 'one', obviously, the mad one. And for the third...

The diagram in the Burning River update helpfully gives us our method. Our target length is R. 24 fills in for the 2A in the diagram; the 8 we can measure is the distance below the horizontal line through the circle in the diagram. Let us define the remaining distance beyond what we can reach to the center of the circle as X. Thus, R = X+8. By the Pythagorean theorem, X^2 + A^2 = R^2; since 2A is 24, that translates to X^2 + 144 = R^2. Substituting R-8 for X, we get R^2 -16 R +64 +144 = R^2, which is equivalent to 16R = 208, or R=13. We want a 13-foot ladder.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, good news, I can pass the dreaded Al-Gibra. Bad news, I die because I choose water rather than fermented milk.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's that second screenshot there? A ladder? A spinner? Are the mazes finally going to actually be a puzzle in themselves?

Given 'down' is a direction option, I believe 'ladder'.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right. The Dragon of the Forest has the golden hoard (it's not the youngest dragon, thus doesn't have a silver hoard, and it doesn't have the electrum hoard, since that belongs to its kid; thus it can only have the golden hoard left from metals); E isn't the Dragon of the Peaks (if I am parsing the fear of heights clue correctly). The hoards of gems belong to the Dragons of Ice and Fire. The Dragon of the Plains hates the dragon with the golden hoard... and we know that the dragon with the golden hoard is the Dragon of the Forest, who gets along with its family, which includes the electrum hoard. Since both the gem hoards belong to Ice and Fire, the Dragon of the Plains has the silver hoard. Then, we now know that the Dragon of the Plains is not B, C, or D. (It hates B, C is part of its enemy's family, and D is older than it.) This means the Dragon of the Plains is Alain, with the silver hoard. All right. C is either the Dragon of Ice or Fire (by age, it can't be any of the metal hoard dragons, and the gem hoards belong to the ice and fire dragons). E, D, and A cannot be the Dragon of Ice or Fire (E has a metal hoard, D is younger, we already know A is the Dragon of the Plains.) By elimination, this means B and C are the Dragons of Ice and Fire (in no particular order). The Dragon of the Peaks must be the child of the Dragon of the Forest, and I'm guessing it's not E. This leaves two dragons with metal hoards it could be, A or D, but we already know A is the Dragon of the Plains. Thus, the Dragon of the Peaks is Demout, with an electrum hoard. This only leaves Ebert to be the Forest Dragon, with a golden hoard. This, unfortunately, leaves us with no direct evidence of which of B or C the Dragons of Ice and Fire are. That said, I am willing to make a guess based on extrapolation, but this is getting beyond 'strict logic problem' reasoning and into real-world logic. The Dragon of Ice is plotting against the other dragons and doesn't appear to know the name of Demout, which makes it highly unlikely (in the real world) that it's Carange, who would presumably have decent information on its own family. I will thus guess that the Dragon of Ice is Balparaise and the Dragon of Fire is Carange. Not that it matters, but based on 'thematics', I'm guessing Balparaise has the hoard of diamonds and Carange the hoard of rubies. Still, irrelevant to true names of dragons, which is what we need to figure out.

Unspoiled, give what Nakar's said about the puzzle!

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 28, 2018

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

GuavaMoment posted:

Why can't Plains be E? I too have nailed down hoards to dragon types, but I'm left with BC being Fire(Ruby)/Ice(Diamond), and AE being Plains(Silver)/Forest(Gold)

OK, you're right, I slipped a gear there. Let me review my logic and Great White Shark's logic again and see which I think is more trustworthy.

Edit: All right, we know the Dragon of the Plains is A or E. The Dragon of the Peaks is A or D. The Dragon of the Forest is A, D, or E. The only way to narrow this is to assume that the 'and' in clue one indicates the Dragon of the Forest is not A or E, which, yes, would make the Dragon of the Forest Demout, the Dragon of the Peaks Alain, and the Dragon of the Plains Ebert. That's what I get for rushing. Good work, Straight White Shark!

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 28, 2018

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Tamba posted:

If hiding your true name is so important, why did he even tell us all 5 names?

Because shut up don't question it you aren't meant to think about it, that's why.[/smartass]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Added Space posted:

So these are the seven deadly sins - the cake is Gluttony, past achievements are Pride, the magic sword is Envy, and so on. Have we gotten any advice about sinning?

Conspicuously missing is Lust, unless spittle-flecked beggars taking our last coin is meant to be lustful.

• Locked thread