Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I just tried the game out and played through the first 3 or 4 sections of the maze. There's some pretty fun puzzles in here, and I can see them getting rather nasty. Lots of general knowledge quizes too.

This one was simple enough - trolls can resist a dare, trolls can't swim, so dare him to jump into the well and watch him drown, yo.

Also, are you able to ask the crone about the troll if the sage didn't tell you about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Nakar posted:

Yes. There are (almost) no instances in the game of the game "remembering" things from one PoP to the next. If you're trying, you can abuse this to do things you shouldn't have the knowledge to do, but the game will throw some tricks at you later to ensure that you can't do that unless you're committed to trying every single option available, which is designed to be more time-intensive than just figuring out the right answer.

Yeah, I made it to the tournament where you have to pick a spell from a rather long list, with no way of guessing the answer unless you were given it earlier. I've seen similar games just plain not including the correct answer as an option unless you trigger a flag elsewhere, though.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I tried solving this one in my head when I got here, but had to break out a piece of paper and a pen and make notes. Didn't meet the peasant, but he seemed fairly unimportant.

But yeah, simple logic puzzle. Others have given the answer, it's 6 and 2.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 29, 2018

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

nweismuller posted:

'Thou'' is the old familiar form of 'you', inherited from Germanic languages. Equivalent to German 'du', as opposed to the more formal 'Sie', equivalent to 'you' (which is the only version that has survived in live usage to this day).

This is correct. This is one of those facts you often see in those "bet you didn't know this" fact collection files used as filler in TV guides and similar magazines.

nweismuller posted:

(which is the only version that has survived in live usage to this day).

Norwegian still has familiar and polite second person pronoun, but the polite form has become extremely subservient these days and is only really used by waiting staff in fancy restaurants and the like.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 30, 2018

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I meant in English usage, sorry. German also has familiar and polite second person pronouns, as I said- I was citing German specifically because I at least have some (small amount of rusty) German. From what you said, it appears German usage of familiar and polite is actually more robust than Norwegian, as far as I know- you default to the polite form except with people you are legitimately on familiar terms with.

Yeah, it used to be like that here too, it just fell out of fashion in the 70s or so. Most people are familiar with the old usage from older movies and novels.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Do we even need a hint for this? Look at the moss on the trees to find north. Classic navigation trick.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Huh, I was sure I had missed a PoP telling me it'd be a good idea to drink from that lake, but apparently I hadn't.

This is the PoP I made it to, though I got a bit further into the event than this. Let's fight gallantly and see where that takes us.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Nordick posted:

I suppose this isn't really pertinent to anything in this game, but it's a nice little reference.

Captain Marvel's "Shazam" is on the list too.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Nakar posted:

Level One: The Elf-King & The Black Knight
In which we lose, then win the tournament in a single day.

Some of you are much smarter than you may realize, but all in due time.

And finally, supposing we ignored Gonzaga's wise warning and chose to remain at the tournament?

This is how I died. Tostien had told me to WIN the tournament, and my equipment seemed pretty unbeatable, so I figured I'd have a shot. Didn't work out too well.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2018

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

He's yellow. We have eyes

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

He's red. He doesn't breathe fire, so he's neither dragon nor wyvern, and he has fangs, so he's not a vegetarian.

Easy peasy.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

In other words, the true solution is that this puzzle just isn't very well written.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

No, there's enough information to determine the answer to all of the questions posed.

As others have pointed out, we know he's not a red wyvern since he can't breathe fire, but there's nothing in the writing that excludes him being a wyvern of a different color, and the option you can pick says "wyvern", not "red wyvern". It could've absolutely been worded better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, I'd go with using the magic spell Tostien again. Even if it doesn't work, he's not the kind of guy to just murder us where we stand, so we'll probably get the chance to try other stuff as well.

• Locked thread