Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I know thee/thou/etc. were the second-person singular back when "you" was only plural, and trying to fiddle with what sounds natural in my head I think it's nominative case? So you'd use it when a singular person, to whom you are speaking, is the subject of a sentence.

Alternately, yeah, when being a pretentious squink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

nweismuller posted:

All right. One and only one of A and C will be using the lance. If A is using the lance, B is using the bow. However, B and C will not use the bow at the same time. This means A is using a bow and C is using a lance. The one hunter whose weapon is undefined is B, who, as far as we have been told, could use either. (He'd only use a bow if A used a lance, but A will never use a lance, so.) This means the only possible answer is Baudoin.

Agreed. Laid out a bit more step-by-step (though the logic is the same really):

1. if A uses lance, B uses bow
2. exactly one of A and C uses lance at any given time
3. B and C never both use bow

4. A can never use lance (if A uses lance, then B uses bow per 1 and C uses bow per 2, thus contradicting 3) Thus, A always uses bow
5. Combining 2 and 4 means C always uses lance
6. B can use whichever weapon he wants at any time (only 1 and 3 place restrictions on B and both are contingent on weapons A and C can never use)

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I do feel like it's interesting that everyone who's answered so far (myself included) has arrived at the same answer but all sort of worked it out in a different order?

A: A!=T, D=T
B: B=W, C=F
C: two F
D: two W

A must be W (T would always claim T, F would never claim "not T" (though could claim to be specifically W)); first statement is thus true so second false, thus D is not T
If B's first statement is true, then B is W, then C must be T (statements must be T/F so C isn't F, and we know there's no more than two of any tribe so C can't also be W), but if C is T then there's two F so B can't be W: contradiction
If B's first statement is false, then B is not W, and thus B must be F

One of C and D must be false, as they are in conflict with the statement that only one tribe has two present. But if D is true, the two W must be himself and A (as A established D is not T); this means C is T and always speaks truth. Thus C is T and this makes D F.

A=W, B=F, C=T, D=F

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
The pairs listed as being the same race/job have to belong to the one with three, otherwise there's not a spot left for either one in the pair listed as different. Thus Saladin and Barbarossa are both Atarri, Tamburlane and Jenghiz are both merchants, and Attila is the only one who can be a Tercelid warrior.

And the full list extrapolated from that just for kicks:
Saladin: Atarri warrior
Barbarossa: Atarri merchant
Tamburlane: Tercelid merchant
Attila: Tercelid warrior
Jenghiz: Atarri merchant

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

Final order: Morgenstern, Bad Bob, Spittoon, Jezebel, Old Irregular.
Final waits: 5, 1, 3, 4, 2.

This is one of those that I think probably gets much easier with a grid; I didn't take the time to draw one out myself and I kind of shortcutted in my logic mentally a few times I didn't bother to write out in my notetaking so it's not quite worth putting up my details, but this matches the result I got.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

I started with a grid but the ordering requirements confounded my gridding. In particular, no explicitly stated rules constrain Spittoon at all. Maybe I picked the wrong axes.

It's not uncommon for one of the items to only be mentioned in the description in those sorts of puzzles, but yeah I started doing one just to see and the overlapping ordering requirements in clues 4-6 are too key to the puzzle and don't really work well in that format.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah I walked through it before moving onward with the thread and I can't work out any details on two of the dragons; I did take grid screenshots throughout because I figured "sure, why not" though so give me a minute and I'll at least put that up on lpix and edit it in here when I'm done.

EDIT: It took me a bit because I completely hosed the order of some of my screenshots by missing one or two so I had to redo them all, and I wanted to expand my notes into proper sentences, but it's done.

ArashiKurobara fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Nakar posted:

This is pretty fantastic, by the way; the site is cool as well, I was wondering if there was a better way to do these things than in Excel or something. Can I just link to this in the next post?

Go right ahead! And yeah it took me a bit of poking around Google but I figured someone out there had to have made something browser-based at some point for this stuff.

• Locked thread