Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC, thou/thee/thy were used in informal situations, whereas you/ye were used in more formal ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whybird posted:

French still has the plural/singular distinction today, with tu and vous, and the plural vous being used for politeness. There are still echoes of it in modern English when royalty refer to themselves as we.
Isn't the whole thing about the "royal 'we'" supposed to be that the ruler speaks for the entire country? It's not a politeness thing, it's more "this person is our government".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Adamant posted:

Do we even need a hint for this? Look at the moss on the trees to find north. Classic navigation trick.
Magic is afoot. As mentioned in the text for the PoP, streams don't run in circles, so we were clearly teleported or subjected to some other magical chicanery. Finding the way through the forest may require a different tactic than common sense.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He's also explicitly unskilled in its use, so yeah, taking on someone who knows which end of the weapon goes towards the enemy is probably a bad idea. Remember how well his previous attempts at combat went? He got literally eaten alive both times.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I expect the grouse we got from the hermit to be a puzzle solution (or maybe an alternate solution, because it was optional) at some point, so I definitely assume we'll be getting some use out of that dagger, as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PurpleXVI posted:

Is that even something this game can handle, though? It doesn't remember the "state" of the various Places of Power we enter, so I wouldn't expect it to be remembering any optional changes to our inventory, either.
I obviously don't know how this game was coded, but it's fairly simple to check if the player has an item in their inventory. I suspect the game not saving the state of PoPs is more to prevent unwinnable states rather than technical limitations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Can we say Tostien's name in later encounters or was that a 1-time deal?
He said his power doesn't extend very far, so I'd assume it's a one-time deal. Also, he was just lending us a bit of magic to fight in the tourney, nothing else. Actually, we're pretty lucky that it worked as advertised this time; fey bargains tend to be traps more often than not in mythology. Calling on him again, if it even works, may not be advisable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

curiousCat posted:

I agree. The Servants Entrance seems like the best chance -- I would think plenty of people would be coming and going through there. An evil castle can only keep servants for so long.
And even if they've had the same maids and such since the usurper took over, they still need to get food and sundries in and out of the castle, so there's bound to be a servant entrance with at least some traffic. Maybe we can slip into a delivery wagon or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kangra posted:

:colbert:

Presumably it has no spine and therefore no spinal cord, so that route won't work. I'd go for eyestalk, but if they can mention nonexistent spinal cords then they can mention nonexistent eyestalks. Go for above the posterior sting. Should keep us away from its mandibles at any rate, unless we approach it stupidly (which we well might do).
I agree. The woodsman said to aim for the back, IIRC, but ordinary scorpions don't exactly have spinal cords, do they? Also, severing a poison stinger seems like a good idea to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zandar posted:

I guess if you want to stay hidden from animals, pray to the Hunter?
The Lady is a goddess of nature, IIRC; pray to her to calm them, maybe.

• Locked thread