Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Andyzero posted:

Pfft. This game was made during PRODIGY. Hell, back in the day, the only good thing about Prodigy was this game. Despite this, I remember using it every day.

I vaguely? remember reading a mystery series on Prodigy about a guy named Abel? (I think). He was a travel agent, and one of those mystery leads where people died or were murdered around him all the time. (Murder She Wrote syndrome) I remember one story's plot has someone thinking he was a hitman because of this.

Edit: Abel Adventures, guy was Tom Abel.

But for the life of me, I can't remember anything else about Prodigy. Heck, I barely remember Madmaze. I don't think I got too far because I never mapped anything, and I would get to POPs where I didn't know what to do. (In my defense, I was 10 years old.)

At the time, Prodigy had two tiers, Core and Plus. MadMaze was, of course, gated behind Plus. Prodigy pricing was something like $19.99 for unlimited Core and 10 hours of Plus...followed by $3 an hour thereafter.

Every decision that has been criticized here flows directly from that. This game no doubt cost a lot of kids' parents (and quite a few adults too) hundreds to thousands of dollars. I was about ten at the time as well and am extremely confident I played a similar knockoff game on AOL's closed off network, so it definitely spawned copycats/was very profitable.

Within that constraint of $$$$/hour - no doubt imposed from management, because the developers themselves did go on to bigger and better things - the game is more interesting as a historical relic than I think the thread gives it credit for. It's not the greatest story ever told, but at least the POPs are descriptive, individually interesting and there's a decent amount of experimentation going on. A lot of the constraints like no inventory could potentially be explained by hardware requirements - Prodigy would have had next to none, so the bottom end of the userbase would have been 286's with 1 MB of RAM and 2400-9600 baud modems. Given this thing could potentially have belonged to a customer, going for the lowest common denominator made sense. Nobody would ever voluntarily play this game today, but even as a dead end, it shows where gaming could possibly have gone if the Internet had not exploded in the way it did. A lot of what it did do successfully was taken up by Sierra when they launched Yserbius/Twinion a couple of years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread