Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Daring the troll to jump in the well seems obvious, but what do you think that corpse will do for the water quality, huh smart guy? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

For someone who could have killed us multiple times, Gonzaga's a cool guy.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm impressed at the amount of writing for various obviously wrong options.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

After the genericness of the first maze and the...problems of the second, the third is truly weird in a delightful way.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ah, I see, the Moon of Madness is a giant bureaucracy. I wonder if we're going to see any references to Brazil?
Or the Vogons from Hitchhiker's Guide of the Galaxy. Wonder if we'll be subject to some terrible poetry.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This ended up being pretty straightforward.

There are five countries, divided into two alliances. Triple Alliance of Middlemark, Occipotia, Suidemark. River Entente of Nosten, Ostania. The key ends up being the fact that Occipotia is NOT a naval power. The festival mentions all five countries obliquely: Corpolin being an admiral, means the country who failed to attend cannot be Occipotia. Middlemark and Nosten are mentioned by name, and more importantly the non-Occipotian nation mentioned last who hired a cavalry leader (Balit) makes the archery contingent the Occipotians. Since the naval leader must be from a Triple Alliance nation, as it is the only bloc with a navy, that means Balit was hired by Ostania and thus this is the cavalry nation. Nosten thus must be an infantry power as all alliances have an infantry contingent. Of the leaders, we've already accounted for Corpolin and Balit. Engrout doesn't do infantry, and Abstantor doesn't work with the River Entente, so Dindee is an infantry leader for Nosten. That explains the River Entente.

Edit: once we've given names to the other participants of the festival not directly named, the nation who was a no-show is Suidemark and thus has Corpolin and therefore a navy.

Now the Triple Alliance. Occipotia is the archery nation, as above. The only leader it can hire is Engrout since it's NOT an infantry power and we've already accounted for another nation having Corpolin. Middlemark cannot be the naval power (since it showed up to the party above) and so it MUST be the infantry power as again all alliances have one infantry focused nation. Abstantor is the only leader not accounted for, so here we are. Suidemark has Corpolin and thus is the naval power.

Final answer:
Middlemark, infantry lead by Abstantor
Occipotia, archery lead by Engrout
Suidemark, navy lead by Corpolin
Nosten, infantry lead by Dindee
Ostania, cavalry lead by Balit

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 15, 2018

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

We've basically left out half the "fun" and 95% of the interactivity in that we didn't, as a thread, navigate and chart the maze itself. Arguably there is a state which is tracked and of great importance -- your actual location within the labyrinth. You may consider that filler, and certainly that is true to some extent, but mapping a dungeon is part of a time-honored tradition in gaming of this era. Around the same time you might be wandering out of Weith, you could be wandering around in Phantasy Star's first person maze, or mapping Destard in Ultima V, or the sewer in Eye of the Beholder. Even if there's no combat, the game play of being completely lost in a twisty passage, all alike (okay, not really twisty) would have been familiar and a reasonable part of a gamer's play time. You can certainly take it or leave it, but in the broader context of the time it's hardly out of place to have it make up a major element of the experience.

The act of exploration is surely something that needs to be part of the accounting of whether this was a "good" game or even a "game."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

:shrug: That being said, it's not like "hey, this is a maze, you're gonna get lost in it, also we're charging you per the minute" is something which is hidden from the customer. I'm glad the industry moved on, but context is important, this is still a time when a lot of a person's experience with a video game may be from an arcade, which if nothing else is a study in finding ways to monetize time spent in ways that make EA lootboxes look like they're not trying hard enough to squeeze the customer. No one's gonna claim this needs to be put on the same plinth as Chrono Trigger or anything but to call it not a game seems a little unfair.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

To a large extent the Phoenix Wright games are like that: you have a correct action or else the game ends/loops until you figure it out. Of the first four games of the series there are a total of two "meaningful" choices and they're literally at the end when you can select the ending you get.

Now I've heard that Phoenix Wright games aren't VNs in the typical sense either so I'm curious how people would argue for or against it in light of this definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The path in a PW game is linear insofar as you have to collect a certain number of clues and proceed to a trial stage where you have to present those clues in a particular way and order. You can choose to investigate the murder scene or the evidence locker room in either order, but visit them both you must and you cannot move to the next step until you've exhausted whatever the game wants you to do in that scene. At no point are you allowed to "get stuck" because everything you need to win/proceed is with you at all times.

• Locked thread