Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Ostapenko crashing out early was the most obvious thing. Maybe not first round, but still.

Osaka won, which is good. And Bencic won, which is great since it feels like she's been injured or coming back from an injury for ages now. Going on two years maybe? I can't remember, but I'll be happy if she can get back to the top. And Petra's been the best player on the WTA this season so far and might actually go deep here, which is also great. I hope she wins it, and then wins Wimbledon too.

Other than that though, this is definitely the least interested I've been in a major in a long, long time. Hopefully the actual tennis is good and makes up for the lack of drama/match-ups/narratives. I don't even know what to say about the men's side at this tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm feeling nostalgic tonight. You guys remember when Djokovic was finally going to win RG for the first time, but instead Wawrinka just utterly clobbered him? drat, that was a great match. I basically spent the entirety of sets 2-4 getting my mind blown repeatedly.

... :smith:

Anyway Dimitrov's out, Svitolina's out, Osaka's out.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

fancyclown posted:

Third five-setter in a row for Sascha. Up a break.

The tournament's turning into a real gauntlet for Zverev.

I'm going to make a dumb prediction and say Verdasco's going to knock out Novak in five. I've got a feeling.

edit: Heh.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 3, 2018

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That was a fun tiebreak. Thiem is almost certainly going to clobber him in the semi-final, but that doesn't matter right now. Is it too much to hope for a Thiem/Delpo final?

Sodium Chloride posted:

Sloane Stephens is silently going for another slam?

I'd love this. My preferred outcome, although Halep finally winning one would be great too.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Halep v Stephens is interesting. I imagine Halep might be a little desperate to finally win one, but her recent record in finals is obviously not so stellar whereas Sloane has never lost one, and has a really cool and steely demeanor on court as well. I feel like Halep will start strongly, maybe winning the first set, but I'm not sure she'll survive once things derail / her form drops a bit and Stephens starts to mount a comeback.

I like 'em both so win-win for me, at least. I hope it's good.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Genuinely expected a lot more from Del Potro.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sloane's game looks so effortless. Makes it seem like Halep's working twice as hard in every point.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

...:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

At least the overall narrative was basically correct, just got the roles mixed up.

• Locked thread