Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah weren't Street Rat and Glitterboy Killer both in the main book lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah weren't Street Rat and Glitterboy Killer both in the main book lol

Regular Glitterboy.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Still, that's like having a main book where your class options are literally First Edition Thief or A Mech From Lancer. Hmm hmm let me think real hard about this

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, like, Google reminded me of The Vagabond, who is just a scruffy lovely guy, vs the Juicer, or the Cyber Knight, or the Glitter Boy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, like, Google reminded me of The Vagabond, who is just a scruffy lovely guy, vs the Juicer, or the Cyber Knight, or the Glitter Boy.

I’ve played a vagabond more than once because you had a lot less poo poo to do when making your character. Starting with a normal bow and arrows and no armor in a world of dragons, deadboys and DeeBees was pretty lol.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SlimGoodbody posted:

Still, that's like having a main book where your class options are literally First Edition Thief or A Mech From Lancer. Hmm hmm let me think real hard about this
3.5, but the druid starts at 5th level and the monk isn't allowed to take leadership.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’m like 4 years late to this party, but I am really enjoying running Lankhmar DCC games. Fleeting luck and healing via luck really feels like a version 1.5 for DCC, and the simplicity of removing the Cleric and other demi races and just having Warrior, Thief, and Wizard is amazing.

Also it helps that the Fafhd and Grey Mouser stories are awesome if you grew up on a steady diet of the Thief games or Ahnk-Morpork

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
How does progression work when you run a non-DCC module in DCC? A module originally designed with treasure-for-XP as the primary reason for exploring the dungeon.

Does it change player behavior, or does it all work out the same in the end? (fight the monsters because they have GP vs fight the monsters because fighting them grants XP directly).

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Go through the adventure and divide it into encounters, then assign XP values for each encounter?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Yeah it's easy enough to do. The DCC corebook provides guidelines for how to award XP based on task difficulty, which are transferrable to non DCC adventures. The question is how changing the incentives changes the players' behavior.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I like Daniel Bishop's advice for conversions

quote:

(1) Watch Spellcasters: Remember the core rulebook says that NPCs need not play by the same rules as PCs. Even with that in mind, though, you will probably want to re-imagine any spellcasters in the original work.

(2) Watch Tropes: The "weird fantasy" mindset of Appendix N literature, and hence DCC, is very different from the "Mos Eisley Cantina" mindset of WotC D&D and Pathfinder. You will run into ideas in 3.x and later modules, such as armies of dwarven cavalry, elf paladins, gnome clerics, etc., that simply do not fit with DCC (unless you decide that they do, of course). You might need to get imaginative with these, and think about what Appendix N authors would have done instead. In general, you will find far, far fewer of these problems with TSR D&D modules, and the earlier ones cleave closest to the source.

The dwarven cavalry, therefore, may become barbarian tribes, the gnome cleric might become a unique monster or a human, etc.

(3) Watch Treasure: A good standard rule is: Change platinum to gold, change gold to silver, change silver to copper, and reduce any copper to 10% of listed value. You might want to do further reductions. Make most magic into fine items instead, and make most of whatever magic is left unique. Magic items with drawbacks are cooler than ones without (i.e., if the players have to decide whether or not benefit X is worth drawback Y, and they are not always certain, you are offering them an interesting decision, and that is great!).

(4) Add Some Weird: Throw in a couple of things that would not have occurred in a 3.x, 4.x, or Pathfinder module if you can. Give your DCC conversion its own special brand of weirdness....be it due to unique monsters, unique treasures, or unique opportunities (ex. a chance to learn spells, gain a patron, or improve a character in some way).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just do one adventure per level, as DCC characters die quick and can be replaced. Or I just do pregens per adventure, or whatever. What matters is people having fun, not getting all nick-picky about XP.

edit - oops the question was about converting non-DCC XP into DCC XP, not how XP works in DCC itself.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

jeeves posted:

I just do one adventure per level, as DCC characters die quick and can be replaced. Or I just do pregens per adventure, or whatever. What matters is people having fun, not getting all nick-picky about XP.

edit - oops the question was about converting non-DCC XP into DCC XP, not how XP works in DCC itself.

Your point still stands, in my opinion. For example, I ran a conversion of N1 in DCC as a level 1 adventure post-funnel and it felt pretty natural to use more-or-less milestone leveling scheme. I used a 5E conversion I found on Drivethrurpg and ran it basically as-is, and just had the PCs level up when it made sense, in this case once in Orlane after sleuthing out the main plot thread and recruiting some help, and once more after clearing out the temple/defeating Explictica Defilus. I ran it directly into a homebrew port of Assassin’s Knot and did the same thing, with two level ups throughout the module.

My group has been playing various flavors of OSR systems for a long time and ignoring explicit XP progression ends up happening all the time, it’s quite freeing tbh :shrug:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Do any older editions have splat books that actually cover cooking and crafting? I ask since I just got the Monster Hunter inspired D&D supplement in the mail and Dungeon Meshi has been doing quite well so I’m anticipating newer players asking me if I want to run something like that - which I would. I don’t recall aside from some AD&D books talking about different rations like the Arms and Equipment Guide.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Check out the newish Skerples monster book. I believe every single monster has an entry on what eating and harvesting it might look like.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fyodorovich posted:

Your point still stands, in my opinion. For example, I ran a conversion of N1 in DCC as a level 1 adventure post-funnel and it felt pretty natural to use more-or-less milestone leveling scheme. I used a 5E conversion I found on Drivethrurpg and ran it basically as-is, and just had the PCs level up when it made sense, in this case once in Orlane after sleuthing out the main plot thread and recruiting some help, and once more after clearing out the temple/defeating Explictica Defilus. I ran it directly into a homebrew port of Assassin’s Knot and did the same thing, with two level ups throughout the module.

My group has been playing various flavors of OSR systems for a long time and ignoring explicit XP progression ends up happening all the time, it’s quite freeing tbh :shrug:

Xp works when you're playing with a bunch of randos who show up for each game with multiple characters of arbitrary levels, a la 1974 lake Geneva, otherwise ditch it and don't look back imo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mellonbread posted:

Yeah it's easy enough to do. The DCC corebook provides guidelines for how to award XP based on task difficulty, which are transferrable to non DCC adventures. The question is how changing the incentives changes the players' behavior.

Probably not too much with "xp for gold". If anything the DCC incentivize flexible approaches to problems even more (you could identify a trapped treasure, decide to forgo it, and still get XP".

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

SlimGoodbody posted:

Check out the newish Skerples monster book. I believe every single monster has an entry on what eating and harvesting it might look like.

All of those are really a stripped down version of the Monster Menu-All he put out for free a while back.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

sebmojo posted:

Xp works when you're playing with a bunch of randos who show up for each game with multiple characters of arbitrary levels, a la 1974 lake Geneva, otherwise ditch it and don't look back imo

Yeah, we had a pretty successful (and still ongoing) OSE game with rotating DMs in a West Marches style campaign where XP tracking was honestly pretty necessary (the PCs are members of the Bureau of Monster Census and travel throughout ~the known world~ Doing Stuff). We all have a stable of a couple characters that we track individually and trade off running sessions for each other.

Other than that I’m team milestone all the way. To me as a DM it feels like you can really get out of your own way if you’re not fiddling so much with the minutiae of trying to balance everything to a point total for whatever task/monster/treasure hoard you’re dropping in front of the players.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I've been thinking about experimenting with a hybrid approach where people can track milestones and experience for different advancement tracks. In the last (now stalled) Marches-type game I was running, milestones were related to team objectives by improving a central hub (think Gloomhaven town level and such). People also had individual things they could work on and improve on that gave them advancement. Unfortunately, giving people things to do only works if people show up to the game, hence this is a 'past tense' experiment. It worked out well enough for earlier iterations of it, though!

Now I'm thinking of the "gold as XP" line of thinking for "spending gold as XP" or more appropriately in what I'm thinking of right now, "food/drink as XP". The Skerples monster list is interesting, so I'll have to dig into it in greater detail but the design is pretty straightforward.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hey so I finally am getting a IRL group together, and we're almost to the point of having enough people to play. However they want to just play 5th edition and well I found a bunch of fifth edition conversions on DM Guild website. Are the levels for the old modules comparable because I was looking at Scourge of the Slave Lords and its like recommended level 4 to 7 but then I don't think that matches.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

5E PCs are far and away more powerful and versatile in a strictly mechanical-ability sense, so it would probably depend on how well considered the conversions are. A bear is most likely going to whip a level 1 OSR party's rear end in a straight up engagement, whereas a level 1 5E party could probably gib a bear in the first round, and certainly by the second.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hollismason posted:

Hey so I finally am getting a IRL group together, and we're almost to the point of having enough people to play. However they want to just play 5th edition and well I found a bunch of fifth edition conversions on DM Guild website. Are the levels for the old modules comparable because I was looking at Scourge of the Slave Lords and its like recommended level 4 to 7 but then I don't think that matches.

Goodman Games publish a bunch of 5E conversions of classic adventures. You could look into acquiring some of them; I presume they're as well done as their DCC stuff.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

thotsky posted:

Goodman Games publish a bunch of 5E conversions of classic adventures. You could look into acquiring some of them; I presume they're as well done as their DCC stuff.

I have Keep on the Borderlands and Isle of Dread. They do have a 5e conversion in the book but as far as I'm aware the classic adventure conversion series was print-only. Their US web store wasn't loading for me so unfortunately I cannot confirm this at this time. That said, if you use 5e's encounter builder to get a rough idea of what the modules used for encounter tables, you could figure out if you needed to add/remove monsters. Those introductory modules also have a lot of non-monster things going on that are tricks and traps instead.

I think Goodman Games also has a 5E module line that is digitally available but I don't have any direct experiences with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

thotsky posted:

Yeah I looked into it. Dungeons Masters Guild has Classic Modules Today , which are all fifth edition conversions of early stuff. I mean I want to run them through Scourge of the Slave lords which is suggested 4 to 7 but i dunno how tough a thing that would be.

Plus even though we're IRL we are still using Roll20 so getting modules that have maps for Roll20 is a big plus and Dungeon Masters Guild has those.

I may end up recruiting here I dunno. I have 3 players but we're going ot be actively looking for some other people. we're all in recovery so I'm trying to get a roleplaying recovery group going.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 22, 2024