Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

*OP says no OSR politics*

*Stumbles into page 1* "Hey guys, how about those regressive shitlords and their bad politics?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I would think the elemental plane of fire should be able to power steam turbines quite handily.

If that's not in Eberron I'd be loving shocked.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can understand not wanting to "derail" the thread with a discussion about it, but I cannot in good conscience abide by a complete rejection of the issue's existence. I will be tagging out of the thread.

DalaranJ, I appreciate the kind recollection of my old posts.

Yo your posts in the last thread were always erudite and interesting, thank you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So the OP kind of makes 1e sound a little weirder, a little more murderhobo, than 2e... Is there really that much difference? I have always had a soft spot for the monk, for instance. How tough would it be to drop a 1e monk into a 2e game?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

reach your hand down its mouth

With a horrifying crunching noise, your hand is severed at the wrist!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got a book and the cover art is one of my favorites:

He's just really into his work!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I got a book and the cover art is one of my favorites:

He's just really into his work!

Disarm rules: it's easier to disarm a two-handed weapon than a one-handed weapon. Seems counterintuitive based on my experiments wrapping a mouse cord around my wrist and swinging it around

edit:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 31, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

The Chained Coffin

Welcome to the Shudder Mountains, a place where hillbillies cast the evil eye at shadowmen and you can nail a wizard in place with by driving a railroad spike made of silver into the ground through his shadow.

This sounds incredibly cool and also sounds like it tones down magic a bit to the level of folk-tale magic where you tie up the devil with a single hair or something instead of just throwing fireballs around. Is that accurate?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

what kind of metal is dudes with surprisingly high voices singing three part melodies about elves?

Isn't that just "metal" or "heavy metal" if you want to get old-school?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

I’m interested in the DCC stuff too if you can manage it. There are some good hobby stores in Albuquerque, it really sucks that apparently none of them do it.

Which ones do you like? Ettin seems nice but kind of board game / wargame focused. Haven't really checked out others.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Xotl posted:

Generally though, a turn is ten minutes. [...] in a turn a character can explore and map an area equal to their movement rate in one turn (typically 120 feet), [...] You're also required to rest 1 out of every 6 turns while exploring, though since you're already moving at a snail's pace in the dungeon I tend to skip this.

"I wrapped a mouse cord around my wrist and swung it around" strikes again as the authors cannot comprehend spending an entire hour exploring at the grueling pace of... 0.13 miles per hour, apparently. :haw:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

But being turned into a blueberry isnt a pleasure thing.

Hey please don't kinkshame :member:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone know of game stores or other venues that do public/drop-in OSR-type games in the SF bay area? I picked up a copy of BFRP because the pricing is so accessible I just had to check it out, and it's got me wanting to play.